Blu Homes Reviews in Vallejo, CA | Glassdoor

Vallejo, CA

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company hires some really great people (not management or the sales side tho) (in 6 reviews)

• Good unique way of building a pre-fab home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The undefined system, undefined roles, zero enforcement, and lack of construction knowledge are setting the company up for failure (in 3 reviews)

• Due to the Start Up culture things could move real fast (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great experience at an innovative company."

Former Employee - Carpenter in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Carpenter in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Few people get the opportunity to work for a company producing something they can stand behind, and be proud of. Diverse experience with a great group of people. Loved constantly testing my skills under great leadership.

Cons

Bring your "A" game. To run with the best you need to be prepared. This is still a small company so there is a lot expected from you!

"Project Management"

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros to working here other than the flexible schedule. Everyone is in the same bag and forms a sense of community in the frustration it comes to working for a disorganized startup who can't get their act together. They have tried time and time again to be successful and have failed.

Cons

The list is endless:
    - Unorganized/poor upper management
    - Constant layoffs and always fearing that you're next. When I started two years ago they had over 150 people and now are down to less than 20.
    - Always changing processes without vetting them first
    - Promoting inexperienced people into management positions
    - Almost no culture

Advice to Management

Not sure there is any coming back from the hole you dug yourself into. Changing the CEO is not the solution for a company that has failed so many times. Upper management should have listened to the many experienced and talented people you hired along the way but ended up not listening to/laying off.

Feb 6, 2017 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear "Project Management" ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review ~ while I do not agree with some of the conclusions, your experience and your feedback, are well taken and... More

"Painting with Blu"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes (More than a year)

Pros

I met some very nice people as a painting contractor working on Blu Homes. They keep a very diverse crew that I noticed while working on their job sites. The safety plan that Blu has implemented is very successful. It was pretty fun working on their job sites. Looks like they care, and take care of their employees well.

Cons

I bumped heads with one of the super's on a job site. No biggie however-mamma said there would be days like that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Sep 26, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear 'Painting with Blu',
    Many thanks for your funny and thoughtful review - I am so glad that you had a good experience working with our site teams, which are superstar employees that work on the... More

"Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Vallejo, CA

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and good vision

Cons

In the sales department, customers are told what they want to hear in order to get them to move forward. It's all about getting them to pay the $2,500 or $5,000 design fee.

Advice to Management

Don't be such sharks when it comes to getting money from your customers. I felt fraudulent with some customers, like I was stealing their money. I knew they couldn't afford it, but my goal was collecting that $2,500 fee per management.

Sep 26, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear Former Sales Employee,

I am surprised and puzzled by your review, which is hard to imagine was written by former a Blu Sales employee. Every Sales consultant is trained during their first... More

"Not Your Typical 9-to-5"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

Pros

Blu Homes is not your typical 9-to-5 shop - and to me this is an immense plus. As part of a company that is trying to disrupt the home building industry, the work is fast pace, interesting, and constantly evolving. I would rather help build a new company than merely maintain an old one. I prefer to develop and refine operational processes than follow long established routines. In short, I'd rather be a creator than a cog in the machine and Blu Homes afforded me the opportunity to create.

At a young company like Blu, regardless of your role you can make an immense contribution, interact directly with the company's C-level executives, and learn what it takes to start and grow a business. This is an intangible perk that, as a younger, entrepreneurial-minded employee, I valued almost as highly as monetary compensation.

Cons

A company like Blu is constantly evolving - pivoting towards new market opportunities as it works to find the most reliable path to growth. As such, short term company goals can change quickly and with it employee roles and responsibilities - this is only a con if you prefer the unchanging routine of a 9-to-5 job where tomorrow promises to be just like the day before. If you wish to avoid change, growth, and excitement, Blu may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to recruit young, hungry employees as they will have the energy, appetite for risk, and optimism needed to grow with the company

Jul 18, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear "Not Your Typical",
    Thank you for this insightful look at the pros and cons of working at a startup - I believe that all your points, on both sides, are in line with our experience at Blu.. and... More

"Not the best"

Former Employee - Salesflop in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Salesflop in Vallejo, CA

Pros

Cons

Leadership (what is that?), management, sales and the founders.

Advice to Management

Not sure I have any advice that would even be listened too. The other people that have reviewed this company have already stated the obvious. The positive reviews are from the "management" or upper level staff that were told to write good reviews...lol..lol.. They aren't real reviews,

Jul 18, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear "Not the best",
    Many thanks for your compliment on the people at Blu .. there are some spectacular employees, including in Sales, and the Blu team is one of the sharpest and strongest you will... More

"Working with Blu"

Former Employee - Plumber in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Plumber in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, the work is interesting. There isn't a chance to become stagnant and stuck in a routine. There is plenty of opportunities, electrical, hvac, plumbing, framing, finish work. They have room for the business side of things as well, like Engineering, architecture, sales, and design. I am very happy that I got to experience the Blu Homes environment. I feel like I've grown much as a person, by being there.

Cons

The management that gets hired sometimes, aren't always qualified. I spent more than a few days teaching a supervisor how to use Microsoft Excel.

Advice to Management

Promote more camaraderie in the factory. We all want the company to succeed, it just needs the right guidance, and mindset.

"Sad"

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, hard working people, outstanding concept, potential for greatness. Great benefits

Cons

Poor execution, poor management, unclear company mission. Continued start up culture with no end in sight. 8 years as a start up is not a "start up"

Jun 3, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear "Sad" -
    This is Maura McCarthy writing, and I am the cofounder of Blu and run our Market Development.

I am sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience, and your feedback on poor... More

"Blu"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime pay, travel, well equipped, most of road crew good guys

Cons

Overtime hours, travel, occasionally you have to work with leadership that uses fear and slander.

Advice to Management

Good luck

Jul 6, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear "Blu",
    It looks like you are a former employee on the road crew and I am sorry you had stress with overtime and travel. Most importantly, if you feel like you experienced the kind of negative... More

"No way this company will make it"

I worked at Blu Homes full-time

Pros

You learn a lot and the people that aren't in charge are the smartest most knowledgeable people that work there. The ones in charge don't know anything.

Cons

Terrible company culture. They don't care about their employees at all. They promise stock options and year end bonuses and then you get nothing. I experienced 5 rounds of layoffs while I was there, had 250 employees when I started now less than 100. They burn through millions of dollars because of poor estimating and letting various departments run amuck.

The company promise things they can't deliver, they aren't honest with the clients and then that all blows back on sales. Rumors of several clients who were gearing up to sue, project timelines are a lie. They now only focus on the projects that they can quickly make money on while other sit idle with no work being done.

No employee development whatsoever. Would never recommend this place to anyone and can't possibly imagine how on earth they could turn things around. This is not a good job at all and not a place you want to put yourself

Advice to Management

It's too late, throw in the towel. You don't listen to the people who know what they are doing and the result is you have now blown all your invest,net money and are trying to plug holes with ideas from people who have no knowledge of the industry

Jul 6, 2016 – Cofounder & VP Market Development

Dear "No Way",
    Thank you for your feedback - it looks like you wrote in January 2016 when we unfortunately had some layoffs, and are a former employee.

I am sorry you had a negative experience... More