Blue Acorn Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 2, 2018

3.4
Kevin Eichelberger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a fun and healthy work environment" (in 10 reviews)

• "It's a relatively stress free environment with great people to work with" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "C-level management does not understand the value of innovation beyond some fancy widget on a webpage that wins a design award at Imagine" (in 3 reviews)

• "The company went through a year and half drought in which their were multiple layoffs" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great teamwork, interesting projects and room to grow"

Current Employee - Applications Architect in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many talented and cooperative people who work for Blue Acorn. From the sales team, front end and backend developers, to DevOps and even the management. You will not find a more compassionate group. Everyone cares about the company, their projects and their work. We expect quality and keeping that expectation has helped us for the past 10 years. This is an established and growing systems integrator that will challenge you and allow you to grow.

Cons

They are just getting into hiring remote teammates, so there are still some issues with meetings, mic issues during stand ups, but nothing that hasn't been overcome with some patience or using a different tool like zoom or uberconference.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring qualified, talented and compassionate personnel. Those traits make it easy to be successful

Blue Acorn Response

May 16, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experiences and are glad to learn you are enjoying working with your team.

2. "I'm so glad I accepted my job offer!"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bottom line is I love the people I work with, which I think is one of the most important things about a job. Work is fun because of who I sit around, who I have meetings with, and who I go to happy hour with. There is an amazing company culture at Blue Acorn that exists because of who works here. People care about you beyond the 8 hours you spend in the office. There is no micro-managing, and you are acknowledged for the hard work you put in. When I was offered a job at Blue Acorn, I had already had another one lined up, but decided to go with BA because of the people I interviewed that I felt seemed like great people to be around for 40 hours a week. I was a little nervous based on reviews from years passed on here, but I have learned what was "wrong" with Blue Acorn truly is in the past and there is no where to go but up. We have fun here, and I plan to stay here for a long time.

Cons

None so far. I'm actually happy to come into work everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Renown eComm agency with top notch talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great reputation in the eCommerce industry for quality work, innovative services and down to earth people
    - Globally renowned clients that see Blue Acorn as a key partner in their online success
    - Coworkers are some of the best and brightest in the industry
    - Celebratory culture that shares in each others successes and failures
    - Relaxed environment with fun perks
    - Amazing office buildings in a great area of town that fuels creativity (and good eating!)
    - Honest and transparent leadership team that shares key business metrics and tracking towards goals often

Cons

Fast paced industry requires continually tweaking and changing of processes that can sometimes feel never ending

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great talent while also focusing on retaining existing employees

"Solid technical and project management teams"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Development team is top notch
    Design workshops are fun if you can join
    Project managers are tough, but GSD
    Some exciting new projects have come in recently

Cons

Clients can be high maintenance and some of the Magento sites we inherit are a disaster
    Most developers are only focused on one platform
    Design workshops are only available to a select few employees

Advice to Management

Continue doing weekly standups
    Purge some of the old Magento 1 accounts that we have inherited
    Add another platform like shopify

"An Ecommerce Cargo Cult"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blue Acorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's always been a bunch of strong technical minds at Blue Acorn, some great creative direction, and some high quality management and support staff.

There's a lot of high quality output by the company as a whole.

For a while, the company was doing everything right culturally, and forged a strong connection amongst its workers.

Cons

Management is absolute poison at worst, and incompetent at best.

People are hired, fired, and promoted with little regard for their actual ability or their ability relative to their peers.

Institutionally, the company has no concept of "skating to where the puck is going, not where it's been" (with apologies to Wayne Gretzky). There's no technical leadership, and there never has been. It has not been for lack of trying by technical people. C-level management does not understand the value of innovation beyond some fancy widget on a webpage that wins a design award at Imagine.

Management does not value the input of the people on the ground. All decisions are made based on what other companies might do, without considering whether any of those circumstances are unique to their industries. If someone else did it once, Blue Acorn will probably try it.

Having built such a strong culture, management diluted it with bad hires, bit the hands of those that fed them, and hired some absolutely poisonous people based purely on the big names on their resumes without regard as to why they might be available for Blue Acorn and not on to bigger things.

Management did not understand the magic of marginal cost in reusable software and for years would allow the initial requestor of a feature to bear some (and rarely all) of the risk and cost on a feature and would turn around and provide it to other customers based on "time and materials" to install it. Basically, development could never pay for itself because management had zero idea on how to recoup the initial costs of development.

The company could simply not afford to keep up with other technology companies in the area in regards to compensation and would resort to lying about it to save face.

Work/life balance is supposed to be provided by ping pong and beer apparently because management will bother you at any hour of the day.

Advice to Management

Seriously re-evaluate your business model. There's no sustainable business to be had in e-commerce if you're just "time and materials." That work is destined to be outsourced overseas because you simply can't compete on price. E-Commerce sites are disposable and are not sustained over years and years of development, so there's no long-term value in just implementing them. You must integrate this work with hosting or other ongoing concerns to make it hard for your customers to jump ship.

Pay your dues here, and move on to bigger and better things, ya'll.

"Analyst"

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, interesting variety of large clients, and opportunities for advancement and growth with the company. You're trusted to get your work done and there's very little micro-management. You're given ownership over your work but if everyone is available to help if you need.

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times but the work is interesting

"Smart hard working people, great culture"

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time

Pros

Great culture
    Flexible schedule
    Respectful work environment
    Work with really smart ambitious people

Cons

Agency life can be fast paced
    About a year ago we had some layoffs but it's been great ever since

Advice to Management

Keep looking into the future and make sure your people are engaged, challenged, and informed

"The absolute WORST!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blue Acorn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location was good because it was near highways and places to eat.

Cons

- There's a complete lack of direction everywhere
    - The CEO acts like a dog chasing his tail when it comes to what the company wants to do next
    - Most people in management are unethical on some level
    - You're treated like a child
    - They promise flexible hours and the ability to work from home but they'll walk around and take note of who's not in their seat at 8:30 AM
    - They expect you to be able to read minds
    - At one point there was a contest to see who could keep their desk the cleanest
    - There's public shaming
    - There have been bras hanging around with money stuffed in them and giant teddy bears with phalluses attached among many other inappropriate things

This place is the worst place you'll ever work.

Blue Acorn Response

Jul 26, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience and we take these concerns very seriously. So that we can address this, please email me at... More

"Be A Smart Job Seeker - Know What You’re Getting Into"

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with on your delivery teams are great and are the best reason to work here. There’s dogs and beer, but that’s at every tech company, so don’t make that the reason you work here. When you can get things done, the work we do is pretty cool.

Cons

The morale tanked and it’s trying to rebuild, but it’s still a tough environment to work in every day. Management is 100% disconnected from what it’s like to work in delivery. Your clients are big name, but come with big attitudes. It’s a grind. Most tech companies are, but we are bleeding dry a little bit to meet crazy revenue goals. The whole work life balance thing isn’t real here. You’ll work nights and weekends and dream about work. The pay/benefits is mediocre even for Charleston and is way below the national averages. Shop your salary. Training is weak for new employees so a ton of them don’t do well and burn out immediately.

Advice to Management

I like to think you learned from the mistakes that led to the first three rounds of layoffs but I thought that after each one of those too. You need to focus on rebuilding job security and pride in Blue Acorn so that people care about working again and not just showing up to cash out their salaries. You have to start putting your awesome people first or you won’t have any left. Do that and we could go back to being the company everyone remembers.

"Great work place, great culture, and growing monthly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blue Acorn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Current team members are highly innovative and forward thinking
    - Morale is growing daily by leaps and bounds
    - Dog friendly office
    - Future of Blue Acorn is clear and heading in the right direction
    - Work hard / play hard environment
    - Great office location
    - Competitive wages

Cons

-While the company has gone through some rough patches, it is definitely on the upswing.
    - Did go through some recent layoffs, but some were warranted and got rid of dead weight

Advice to Management

You have seen the previous errors of your ways and have corrected course. Keep trending in this direction and there will be nothing to worry about.