Blue Acorn iCi Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2020

3.4
Blue Acorn iCi Co-CEOs Kevin Eichelberger and Greg Boone (no image)
Kevin Eichelberger and Greg Boone
  1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked at Blue Acorn iCi for nearly 7 years. It has been a great place to work and grow in my career. Blue Acorn iCi has a fun and interactive culture, excellent health benefits, and has proven for me flexibility and a good work life balance.

Cons

No cons to list at this time.

"Very Meh. Outdated Tech. Strive for nothing."

Former Employee - Java Developer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very easy dev work.. aand thats about it. So, maybe a good first job if you know little to nothing...? Oh, decent health care too.

Cons

Tech Stack is adobe's mess of a cms (AEM). Very non scalable and outdated monolith. You'll learn almost nothing if you're a halfway decent dev. The current "seniors" and tech leads are pretty much entry level, so you won't learn anything from them or learn any good development principles. Salary is sub par, raises and bonuses are getting more and more scarce as they put more and more investment into sales and expansion.

Continue reading

"Amazing people and great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than a year

Pros

.Great Company Culture and people. The company is growing and is presenting employees with a lot of growth opportunities. Blue Acorn iCi is a great place to grow in your career. Everyday is challenging and different (in a good way). Great health benefits. Office location in Raleigh is close to everything. Management recognizes hard work. Company makes sure you can maintain work-life balance. Everyone you work with here is extremely talented. All employees are willing to help and want you to learn/grow

Cons

I can honestly not think of any cons, this is a great place to work

Continue reading
  4. "Flexible and fun company to work for"

Current Employee - Digital Engagement in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with exciting Fortune 1000 clients on web marketing strategies, great company environment inside office with clean space and working stations, awesome benefits and flexible with my schedule, work with an extremely talented team

Cons

As is normal with any company partnership, there have been a few growing pains in moving from iCiDIGITAL to Blue Acorn iCi and partnering with our other sister-companies to become one brand

Continue reading

"Parents / job seekers beware!!"

1.0

I worked at Blue Acorn iCi

Pros

Location is good Office is nice and provides snacks Healthcare is provided free of charge to entire family

Cons

They claim to have a WFH option but we are not able to utilize it! What’s the point of having WFH! They limit you to working from home once a week and it can’t be on a Friday or a Monday! If your kids happen to be sick or you aren’t feeling good you have to take a PTO day which is also very poor because they only give you 15 days out of a year! So if my kid got sick on a Friday I wouldn’t be able to WFH! I would have to take a PTO day because it’s a Friday. Pretty worthless policy! Project managers are absolutely clueless, and very mean individuals who throw people under the bus for their mistakes. It’s either their way or no way which leaves no room for collaboration or team growth. Managers literally spy on you or have other employees spy on you if you are away from your seat to long. There is absolutely no trust in employees at this company which isn’t surprising since it is ran by a bunch of kids who have no idea on how to do their jobs! Stay away from this place!

"Systematic mismanagement and brutal working culture."

1.0
    Former Employee - Developer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some great developers specifically the front-end and back-end architects who go above and beyond to help their team members. - Up to date equipment, and responsive / knowledgeable IT Staff. - Great office location for people living in Raleigh (when the state fair isn't going on).

Cons

- Complete lack of management when it comes to project goals and expectations. More often than not developers will find themselves on projects that have been over sold and underestimated. At the end of the day, when a project like this naturally runs into issues with the client the blame is shifted from those responsible (Sales / Upper Management) to the developers themselves. - No flexibility for working from home. At the time I left they had a policy which required 48 hours notice for work from home, and a note from your doctor if you were working from home while sick for more than one day. In one instance, around the time they issued this policy, I didn't get a note but worked from my house for an extra day. They gladly charged the client for my billable hours but took them out of my PTO. - Big Brother like working environment. They will ask your team members to keep track the time you come in and how many bathroom breaks you take. If you do end up working from home you have to submit detailed reports on top of your time sheet. They will tell ask you to submit PTO months in advance and imply assumptions about your performance if you give the normal two weeks notice. - No upward mobility, there are no paths for moving into another position and the company often hired out for their management positions. Raises were given but extremely minor and factored in their ridiculous incentive system. - Developers often asked to work ridiculous hours to meet poor sales estimations. If they overestimated a project they will ask the developers to "promise" extra hours (over 40) a week to try and meet the poor estimation for the project. They say this is voluntary, but wont hesitate to publicly call out developers not meeting the "promise" and create an environment where their perceived performance is reliant on it.

Continue reading

"Not technical? Don't waste your time..."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits Great office location

Cons

Disjointed management philosophies - absence of communication of expectations - little oversight Blue Acorn iCi fully embraces a "sink or swim" mentality but given that there is minimal to zero training, access to resources, or support from leadership, it's more like trying to tread water with a 50 pound weight belt. There is little to no upward movement available in an agency this small.

8. "A new challenge every day, I love it!"

Current Employee - Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Awesome people - Lots of mobility - Fast-paced environment - Great building, perks

Cons

- You need to think on your feet and be self-sufficient, not for everyone

"Good job if you don't need flexibility of any kind or have kids"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Blue Acorn iCi full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great team. Some of the best people I've worked with. -Some interesting projects, some less. It's an agency, so things are fast paced and there's a lot of variety. -Good place to get early career experience. -Financially doing well.

Cons

-Culture of distrust in the Raleigh office. Managers will come around and take headcount, if you're away from your desk in the bathroom it will be noticed. -Very little flexibility. If you need to work from home for any reason you must: apply in advance, get approved (has to be a 'good enough' reason which is arbitrarily determined by the resource manager), it cannot be on a Monday or a Friday, or a day in a week where you've used a vacation day or there is a paid holiday. You will have to fill out and submit an activity report even though the team uses tools like Jira and Github where everyone knows what you're working on. -No support for families. This is a business decision which is fine, but in the competitive tech space not going to get you far in 2019. No paid family leave, head of engineering told me to my face that he doesn't like hiring parents and especially not single parents. I got pregnant while working here, and was asked to only take 6 weeks of unpaid leave. FMLA guarantees 12. I was told they couldn't legally stop me if I chose to take it but they acted super aggrieved like it was an amazing privilege. -Talented members of my team were driven out because they had to pick up their kids from school. -They taut the culture of collaboration, but if you don't have the billing code teammates cannot collaborate on projects or even have meetings about them. Managers will inspect your calendars and tell you you can't talk about that. So clients really aren't getting the benefit of teams working together. They're just physically co-located, working in silos. -Teammates are rewarded based on criteria they have no control over. If you aren't assigned to a billable project you won't get a raise or be eligible for the much tauted utilization bonuses. If a billable project isn't available, too bad for you.

Blue Acorn iCi Response

December 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize if your benefits or paid leave was interrupted in any way, or you feel like you have not been treated fairly. We take these situations seriously. Please email us at hr@blueacornici.com as soon as you are able.

"Ok tech job for Charleston but operationally challenged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blue Acorn iCi full-time

Pros

Interesting clients and projects Great brands to work for on your resume Many individual contributors are great people and awesome to work with

Cons

Private Equity bosses call all the shots Operational management was a complete disaster Advancement and compensation largely determined by 1 HR lead who doesnt understand comparable roles and market Expectation that you BILL 40 hrs a week as an individual contributor (as if there isnt anything else that comes as a part of the job) The merged Frankenstein will be sold to some larger mega agency or consultancy in the near future which will create a ton of changes and strain

Blue Acorn iCi Response

November 21, 2019HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback. People frequently ask about the culture at Blue Acorn iCi and I agree we work with smart, hard working people that care about what they do. We are also proud to have some reputable brands on our roster. As with any company, there will always be challenges and through those we are constantly striving to improve and lean on our investors to help us navigate through changes. As for market value of our roles, those are determined by a number of people and factors and we never depend on one person to make sweeping recommendations or changes. As you know, we review salaries every year and are always looking for creative ways to invest and incentivize. Please let me know if you have any more questions or comments. You can email us at hr@blueacornici.com

Found 18 reviews