Blue Apron "blue apron" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Blue Apron Employee Reviews about "blue apron"

Updated Nov 22, 2019

Blue Apron CEO Linda Kozlowski
Linda Kozlowski
Pros
  • "Benefits are pretty good, especially if you would use the blue apron product(in 27 reviews)

• "Free lunch, great pay, awesome employees(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lunch is free but not what you would expect from a company like Blue Apron(in 14 reviews)

• "Growth is only available if you are favored by upper management(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "blue apron"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "An Amazing Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone at Blue Apron works extremely hard and is very dedicated to the company. With that being said, the work life balance is still great as they have great vacations/sick days/benefits. Working hours are not crazy at all either. My team motivates me every day to learn and grow and the company really gives you space to be creative and learn/grow. I have never worked for a company that has inspired me as much as... Blue Apron and I am so thrilled to be apart of this team. It's not a place for people who just want a job, but rather a place for someone who wants to learn, grow and be apart of something bigger.

Cons

There are some pain points as far as turnover but new teams are growing and everyone has the same mind set that they want to work hard and be a part of something great.

Advice to Management

I love the work culture. There is no micromanaging and there is creative freedom and flexibility. Keep doing what you're doing BA. This is the best company I have worked for in a long time!

Blue Apron2019-11-22
  2. "Bad to worse"

Current Employee - Sanitation Specialist in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best reason to work at blue apron is to build your resume

Cons

HR is the worst (Richmond CA)They make you not want to go back to express your concerns. They definitely need to fix this area. They are bullies. They don’t make you feel like they are there to help you. During audits visitors coming, all management is running around trying to make things perfect, if they did this on a weekly basis everything would be perfect when it came down to audits and visitors coming to our... facility.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the workers needs are and not your own... they are the back bone to the company

Blue Apron2019-06-07
  3. "Headed in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best places I've worked at. Nice size, smart and engaged employees. Management has done a good job at keeping morale decent during a transitional time period. Good work/life balance. Benefits are pretty good, especially if you would use the blue apron product. I think the glassdoor rating should be higher, but there has been a lot of transitions which makes some feel it wasn't what they wanted.

Cons

There's been a decent amount of turnover at times which can lower institutional knowledge and reduce morale.

Advice to Management

Serve the customer in the best way possible and results will come (which will probably solve the turnover issue a bit). Otherwise, I think the right steps are being taken.

Blue Apron2019-05-03

"Phenomenal people, but poor leadership"

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

I met and worked with some of the most dedicated individuals while at Blue Apron. The spirit and camaraderie made this a truly amazing experience

Cons

This is a company in serious trouble. From the top down, priorities are convoluted and change almost daily. Leadership appears to be grasping at straws to right the ship and, frankly, it isn't working. I don't believe Blue Apron is going to be around that much longer in its current form.

Advice to Management

Find a buyer.

Blue Apron2018-12-04
  5. "Warehouse associate"

I worked at Blue Apron full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros working for blue apron

Cons

It’s 12 hours shifts and too cold

Blue Apron2018-05-30
  6. "Great culture and vibe..."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team vibe is great at Blue Apron and I can't speak highly enough of my Team Lead. Everyone is very encouraging and helpful.

Cons

Customer service has a lot of cons as most people who call in are already furious.

Blue Apron2018-04-24

"Leadership misaligned to core values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

- What they are trying to do in the food supply industry is great when it comes to impact and quality, and partnership with farmers. - The mission itself of making great food accessible to everyone and upping people's cooking abilities are awesome. - The people are amazing, with so many from all walks of life.

Cons

- The majority of the employees are hourly and in the facilities and as hyped up as the senior leadership is about what Blue Apron is doing, that does not filter down to the majority of the employees. Management in the facilities need to do better of making it right with each and every employee, and senior leadership needs to make sure that is a priority. - Employees are treated too often as bodies on the floor.

Advice to Management

Richmond Leadership: Hold yourselves and others accountable. Stop asking for forgiveness or making excuses: commit to doing better not just in the moment but in decisions you make that have long term implications in the company and in your employee's lives.

Blue Apron2018-05-03

"Food safety supervisor"

Current Employee - Food Safety Supervisor

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food every week Casual work environment Relatively straightforward work most times Easy to move up the food chain Many small perks The place for you if you want a challenge from changing work objectives

Cons

Still a young growing company. Blue Apron suffers from a lot of growing pains. Inexperience in many positions. Incomplete policies that only cover parts of the situations. Insufficient training for supervisors. Not the place for you if you don't want to be challenged by changing work conditions.

Advice to Management

Management is too top heavy. There are too many layers between some staff and decision makers causing decisions to take time before being made. Local management is great and approachable for the most part.

Blue Apron2018-01-30

"We're currently "restructuring""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Blue Apron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great employees and lots of young, smart, pleasant people. - Some teams on engineering are great to work for, same goes for finance.

Cons

- Increasingly political and clannish. Lots of older hires who seem to do everything they can do the company's detriment. The number of stories told from people post the layoff about ineffective managers, wasteful spending, and terrible decision-making is kind of terrifying. - Young management. The same people who run for class president seem to have made it here at Blue Apron. - It's sad to see... literally... everywhere has people who will power grab and do everything they can to make themselves look better and get promoted at the expense of the company. For some reason, the problem has escalated greatly at Blue Apron. - Stingy pay in return for equity that is worth nothing now. - Terrible decision making. Why do we have wine again as a product? What data suggested that we go this route and not try to reach economies of scale to lower price?

Advice to Management

- Its interesting how quickly this company's internal culture deteriorated. The business probably would have folded regardless, but it's depressing to see a functioning company culturally go from great to corporate so quickly. I blame the hiring of 'speakers' and 'game-players' who took BA as a way to rise to the top and nothing more.

Blue Apron2017-11-10

"It used to be great, but I would stay away now"

I worked at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

The "associates", if you will, (non-management positions) are mostly wonderful, smart, supportive people. Snacks Blue Apron discount

Cons

Profit-over-everything became the clear approach since a few months before the IPO and it definitely affected the culture and work environment There is very little recognition and it relies mostly on whether you're liked or not. They started an evaluation process that is very hypocritical and one-sided, assessing performance in relation to the display and application of company's values when achieving your... business goals, when none of those values are displayed towards, or in the benefit of, the employees Very little equality and almost no diversity, especially in upper management C-Suite is horrible at managing expectations and this stems from very poor communication Morale is very low and there is a pervasive feeling that there is no interest in improving it

Advice to Management

Be genuine and honest. You hired smart, hard-working people - treat them as such Care about people as people - if you care about employees, employees will care about your company. If the feeling is that they're just a replaceable part of a machine you don't care about unless it's raking in money, people will have the same regard for the brand Give feedback that is actionable; if people aren't performing as... necessary tell them what it is they are doing wrong so they can correct course. If you don't have money to give raises then say so

Blue Apron2017-10-24