KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Blue Apron

Is this your company?

Blue Apron

Add a Review

Blue Apron Employee Reviews about "blue apron"

Updated May 29, 2020

Found 39 of over 330 reviews

3.3
Blue Apron CEO Linda Kozlowski
Linda Kozlowski
Pros
  • "First of all Blue Apron is the best in their industry(in 27 reviews)

• "Great work environment and culture(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I don't believe Blue Apron is going to be around that much longer in its current form(in 15 reviews)

• "Politics within upper management, slow growth(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Apron and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "blue apron"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Headed in the Right Direction

May 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best places I've worked at. Nice size, smart and engaged employees. Management has done a good job at keeping morale decent during a transitional time period. Good work/life balance. Benefits are pretty good, especially if you would use the blue apron product. I think the glassdoor rating should be higher, but there has been a lot of transitions which makes some feel it wasn't what they wanted.

Cons

There's been a decent amount of turnover at times which can lower institutional knowledge and reduce morale.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Dishonest, Disjointed, Delusional - Stay far far away!

May 29, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

My peers were great to work with. Unlimited PTO (how they can afford that, I have no idea), decent office location so the commute was easy.

Cons

The company as a whole was incredibly dishonest. They would say one thing and do another. Management has a nasty habit of taking absolutely no responsibility for their shortcomings and manages to throw their subordinates under the bus whenever a project would take longer to complete while soaking up all the praise when things were successful. The engineers who worked their behinds off to get projects finished managed themselves and yet, the managers who pretty much phone it in (all the while watching Overwatch tournaments on their iPads instead of doing real work) walked around with the audacity to speak with authority on the abilities of the engineers. People in positions of power have absolutely no right being there. HR is a joke. They are glorified middleman working in tandem with the status quo. They’re incredibly flippant whenever serious ethical problems (i.e.; racism, sexism, favoritism, misconduct, etc) were presented to them and will lie and stall until they came up with some sort of story that would work for them. Blue Apron is a sad startup that never got its footing and too stubborn to call it quits.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0

Great Company

Dec 23, 2019 - Shift Manager in Richmond, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

First of all Blue Apron is the best in their industry. If you have a great attitude there are many opportunities for personnel and career development.

Cons

When I was there they were going through some growth pains. People I have spoken with say things have improved.

4. 5.0

Fantastic Place to Work

May 13, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture of Blue Apron is undeniably great. I love coming into work every morning because of the palpable passion that emanates from my co-workers. Even if you're not a major foodie, everyone here feels strongly about our product, and the impact we are having on our customers. People here are smart, driven, and go above and beyond to get the job done. I love our product- not only do I use our service myself, but knowing that our customers get so much joy and satisfaction from cooking with us really makes coming to work that much better. I love the education and lifelong learning piece of Blue Apron, and I think this is what truly sets us apart from any other company of our kind. The potential for growth within the company is definitely there, as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort to do so. Nothing here will be handed to you on a silver platter, and working hard is a requirement.

Cons

The speed at which we are growing could potentially be looked at as a con, but as long as the company as a whole is keeping tabs and ensuring that we can keep up with our growth, I don't see it as a problem. I think we could be taking better care of our employees in terms of salary, benefits, and 401k. Improvement in this area will only make employees happier and more committed to the company.

19 people found this review helpful

Blue Apron Response

Human Resources

Thank you so much for providing your feedback! We take great pride in our product and are very passionate about what we do; we love hearing that this has such a positive impact on our company’s culture. It’s our employees’ dedication to our mission that makes us so successful. We are constantly striving to provide the best benefits and opportunities for our employees and have just updated our health benefits to include better coverage and better prices!

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Bad to worse

Jun 7, 2019 - Sanitation Specialist in Richmond, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best reason to work at blue apron is to build your resume

Cons

HR is the worst (Richmond CA)They make you not want to go back to express your concerns. They definitely need to fix this area. They are bullies. They don’t make you feel like they are there to help you. During audits visitors coming, all management is running around trying to make things perfect, if they did this on a weekly basis everything would be perfect when it came down to audits and visitors coming to our facility.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Encouraging culture, passionate people

Sep 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The amount I've learned in just two years at Blue Apron is equivalent to what I’d learn in 10 years at another company. Every day I am challenged in new ways and am constantly learning from my peers and managers. The fast-paced culture can definitely be stressful at times but I think that is just the nature of any growing startup. Our culture encourages enthusiasm and passion for different aspects of our mission, and gives employees ownership to make projects their own. I’ve never felt stifled or held back here, and have always been given the support that I need to improve. My coworkers and managers are incredibly smart and motivated, but of course, love to have a good time. Some of my best memories from working at Blue Apron were from our offsite trips, like our Ski Trip, when 50 Blue Apron employees (from CX employees to founders) travelled to Vermont for the weekend, or on our company camping trip this summer.

Cons

There are always a lot of different initiatives happening at the same time so the workload can become overwhelming and projects are sometimes disorganized. The company is growing so quickly that it can be hard to get to know new people and their roles.

16 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Phenomenal people, but poor leadership

Dec 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I met and worked with some of the most dedicated individuals while at Blue Apron. The spirit and camaraderie made this a truly amazing experience

Cons

This is a company in serious trouble. From the top down, priorities are convoluted and change almost daily. Leadership appears to be grasping at straws to right the ship and, frankly, it isn't working. I don't believe Blue Apron is going to be around that much longer in its current form.

10 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Great place to work

Sep 1, 2015 - Training Manager in Richmond, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I recently started working at the Blue Apron fulfillment center in Richmond, CA, and I have to say that I am loving it. Here's why: - The team is awesome, and everyone works well together. -The snacks, coffee, and catered lunch (everyday) give you the energy you need to make it through hectic days. - Good benefits, and lots of nice perks! - The days can get pretty crazy. We are growing at astronomical rates, and with that comes a lot of work. Luckily, the culture is one that is conducive to collaborative effort, and leaders and associates alike come together to get difficult tasks completed. - There's LOTS of room for growth. Internal promotion is BIG here, so the sky is the limit!

Cons

- I'm a public transportation girl, and the fulfillment center isn't near the metro (BART) or a bus line. Luckily, it's not too far from the metro station, so I've been able to get here pretty easily each day.

17 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

A Great Place To Work!

Oct 28, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Blue Apron for almost a year and I love it. I started off in Customer Service and was promoted into a different department after 8 months. I have been given more opportunity to learn and grow into my field than at any other company I have worked for in the past. What I love the most about my job here is that I have freedom with the work that I am doing. My work environment is open to brainstorming and I am trusted to complete many different projects. It keeps work fresh, but also makes me feel confident in what I do. After being here for almost a year, I have found that the Founders make an honest effort to create a culture where every employee has the chance to personally work on different aspects that make Blue Apron successful. I also really appreciate that they take the time out of their busy schedule to attend happy hours and sit with us during the day. It is one of the examples on how culture plays a huge part in the BA environment.

Cons

We do not have a 401k but I heard that is in the works!

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great environment to grow as a professional

Aug 18, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work that you do at Blue Apron has an immediate impact. You are constantly challenged to solve a problem, create a process, and/or find a resource in a way that allows you to not only exercise your own sovereignty in the workplace but also tap into your own creativity. When something works, you get immediate recognition; when it doesn't you are given the opportunity to find a better path.

Cons

The work comes fast and quick, and sometimes a late night or a weekend of work is required to finish a project. I've worked long hours on a number of occasions, but the work is always recognized by my supervisor and the leadership.

14 people found this review helpful