Blue Canopy Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC Area

2.7
Bradley J. Schwartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Blue Canopy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of career growth
    Family like atmosphere, outside events
    Opportunity to learn anything and everything
    Super people to work with, teamwork is valued
    Pay and bonuses were fair and always pleasant
    when I left I was a much better person than walking in

Cons

Like with any consulting firm, its controlled by the client. Unfortunately the client I worked with started restricting anything that was a "luxury" for a contractor such as teleworking. In addition on govt holidays we didnt' receive, we were forced to take PTO
    Also if you aren't in with the right people/management you won't progress as fast as those that are, its also become a culture of how fast things can go as you become more experienced with processes, and sometimes you can get screwed depending on what your task is and who you are working with

Advice to Management

Don't make it a race to get promoted, it breeds too much competitiveness and bitterness. The same people end up getting promoted every year due to who they are "in" with.

2. "Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blue Canopy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company feel; get things done quickly

Cons

Some managers micro manage. Do not know how to work with people, are abrasive, and find it hard to say Hello / Hi when they write emails.

"False Representation"

Former Employee - Full Time Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Full Time Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Blue Canopy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only one - you have good personnel working there

Cons

Lack of Leadership and Vision
    Constant turn-over within the Cyber Business Unit - they have about a 35% attrition rate - to compensate they just gave mid-term raises to staff
    DOJ involved with this company
    CEO trying to sell company
    To many Partners (14)

Advice to Management

Quit trying to "buy" your employees loyalty

"The Trump of IT Companies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Blue Canopy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to have a long list of pros. Now there are none. Majority of those at headquarters have the morale of an employee simply putting up with the bs because it costs money to live.

Cons

Blue Canopy has a passion…to sell fake promises and a disillusioned sense of reality. Majority of the staff that actually does the leg work is underpaid and sometimes recognized, if at all. But the worst thing about the dynamics of a company that claims it is “easy to do business with”, is the fact that its leaders vow to recognize and reward while having open and honest communication. All of which is false and does not happen – ever. The disconnect and lack of transparency is alarming and those that have stuck around certainly notice. What was once a “great place to work” is now nothing but a façade that has the ignorance and inflated sense of importance like that of a high school jock.

Advice to Management

Do better. You know you should but you don't seem to care.

"Unsure of the Company's Direction"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Blue Canopy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Experience for people starting off in the Cyber world
    Frequent Team Building Events
    People are Fun and Friendly
    They are flexible if you need to take a day off or Work from home
    The partners are always around and friendly

Cons

The majority of the downsides with this company stems from the management at the partner level. Many people, including me, do not have any confidence in the upper management to "do what they say". They will give many promises about opportunities/changes that are coming, yet it only happens about 15% of the time.

The partners frequently come by the cubicles and give "hype" speeches about all the new things that are coming; however when they leave, everyone just looks at each other and roll their eyes. Either two things are happening here, the partners are just lying OR they just can't execute and get the job done.

Many people are getting fed of with how things are being run and are leaving for other companies; this has been the trend for the 2 years that I've been here.

The people who are staying just haven't realized how much better other companies work. Blue Canopy is like running a marathon in knee-high sludge, you will get there eventually, but it would not be worth the time and effort.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about why people are jumping ship and try to correct that.

"Good People, Low Pay"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Blue Canopy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the people working at Blue Canopy are great, friendly people. Everyone is generally quite respectful and easy to socialize with.
    Quite a few company-sponsored events compared to many companies.
    I personally gained a ton of experience quickly moving from an intern to a project manager within 3 years. Note that your mileage may very as the majority of Blue Canopy focuses on assessments.
    Blue Canopy provides fairly competitive benefits as well (though you may have to jump through some hoops to obtain them).

Cons

Pay can be extremely low. After working at the company for 3 years I was still making less than the average for a junior developer.
    Some senior management decisions can be quite traditional and inefficient. For one, our entire development team seems to be undervalued and underfunded as upper management focuses the vast majority of their time and resources to assessment teams. Other times, questionable decisions clearly show how inexperienced some managers are.
    401k takes 4 years to fully vest.
    Sometimes it feels as though a disproportionate amount of funding goes towards company events.

Advice to Management

Truly listen to all employees; not just partners and upper management. Embrace the new, changing ideas of the tech world. Try to limit playing favorites with friends and family.

7. "Great culture, Excellent Benefits & competitive compensation"

Current Employee - Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Blue Canopy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Blue Canopy for 2 years. The culture is great! People are friendly, & very bright. Company is growing fast & has a great future. Blue Canopy is Prime contractor on several govt. contracts & is growing their commercial business. Benefits include performance bonus, tuition reimbursement & health insurance premiums are lowest I've seen because Blue Canopy contributes to the cost of premiums. I know that Blue Canopy has kept some employees on the bench for more than a few months - they do everything they can to place employees on a new contract. Management really supports their employees on government contracts.

Cons

I can't think of anything now.

Advice to Management

More parties!

8. "Excellent Company/Collaborative and Motivating Leadership/Great Benefits!"

Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at Blue Canopy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly innovative company, collaborative and motivating leadership, incredible benefits and work-life events, competitive pay, healthy business portfolio for job security.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Director"

Former Employee - Dorector in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Dorector in Reston, VA

I worked at Blue Canopy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good client support staff and good Program Managers; good clients and past performance; free sodas and coffee; occasional happy hour

Cons

No communications from the CEO; no value of employees; if not a partner or a favorite of the CEO, then the staff is kept in the dark and not trusted with data to conduct your job effectively.

Attrition rate is extremely high (way above industry average).

Advice to Management

Trust your staff, do what you say, communication is key, don't be afraid to communicate.

"Normal Govt Contractor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

nice people
    good compensation
    stable as long as contract is stable.

Cons

Prime contractor will keep you in background.