Blue Coat Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Great corporate culture and values; good work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Great products and great people (in 14 reviews)

Cons

1. "Mostly a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Blue Coat has been very generous as a company toward employees. It is also eco-minded (and not just lip service either...very visible actions taken). There are many opportunities to grow professionally (ongoing training and cross-training is encouraged) and to learn and create innovative and cutting-edge technologies.

Cons

Recent lay-offs involved losing some of the brightest talent at Blue Coat, which may have been short-sighted. Also, many of the long-term goals seem to shift more than would be expected.

Advice to Management

I recommend taking time to truly see who is working for you when determining any future restructuring. Please continue to treat your employees as well as you have been on the whole. Also try not to lose that "small company" feel that is part of the appeal of Blue Coat.

2. "Not a perfect company, but you can tell that it's trying to become one"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

1. Big enough for some stability, small enough that your contributions are important and valued.
    2. Lots of very smart people.
    3. Less "politics" than you might expect for a company of this size and type.
    4. Excellent access to decision makers.
    5. The leadership wants to grow the company, not just find a way to get rich and get out.

Cons

1. Some groups are understaffed and overworked.
    2. Sometimes good talent is allowed to walk out the door, perhaps due to over-stretched middle management.

Advice to Management

Overall, an excellent company with good prospects for growth. I'd encourage management to deploy better technological and collaboration infrastructure: some current processes and systems aren't scalable and result in wasted time and lost opportunities.

3. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Most people are friendly and approachable. Good balance of work and balance. PTO is generous for those who have been there for a while. PTO policy is flexible.

Cons

There are not a lot of growth opportunities within Blue Coat. Management is very good at recognizing you for hard work but not that good at rewarding you.

Advice to Management

Reward your top talent with a raise occasionally. It will help with morale and talent retention.

"Solving challenging problems in Internet security"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The great thing about working at Blue Coat is the unique combination of problems / skills we get to work on. Blue Coat is working in application level network security, which means gaining a deep understanding of web-based protocols and even individual web sites and applications.

There is also a long history of performance and acceleration work at Blue Coat which layers on another completely different set of technologies and skills.

Finally, we use a custom-built OS which has its own unique learning opportunities.

Cons

Without a doubt we have come through some challenges in recent months.

Since February there has been a nearly complete "change of guard" at the highest levels in the company, and while the new management has laid out their vision and strategy for the company, there is still a little bit of a feeling that we are adrift.

There has been a lot of turnover at all levels and that has left some areas pretty short-staffed. We have a lot of open positions right now and we need to fill those so we don't feel like we are trying to do too much.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating the overall strategy for the company and how individual people and teams fit into that. Part of this probably means being more focused and don't try to do too much.

Do everything possible to replace open positions.

6. "New to company and really enjoy coming to work. Everyone has the perfect attitude and culture. Awesome strategy!"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New via acquisition, company has great strategy and leadership is as engaged as I have ever seen in 20+ years in business.

Cons

Some legacy product tension as new strategy unfolds.

Advice to Management

Keep up great work! People are noticing.

7. "Great company, friendly people, great technology"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A company on the rise, with a global reach but small enough to feel noticed, with a very friendly, casual culture. The products are integral to where the internet is going. A genuine sense of camaraderie prevails.

Cons

It's an hour away from where I live!

Advice to Management

Perhaps support a bit more working remotely...

"Happy to come to work."

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good communication throughout the company. Recognition given for a job well done. Management encourages to leave your computer at home when you go on vacation.

Cons

Being a global company, sometimes you need to have calls at odd times but that seems to be the new normal.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees. A happy employee is a productive employee.

9. "Not too big, not too small"

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Blue Coat's size is not too big so
    - although Blue Coat is around the globe, you have a chance to know most people and gain a real sense of community
    - your contribution really matters which is very rewarding
    - you have many opportunities to adjust your position in term or responsibilities and visibility

Not too small so there is some comfort in the everyday life in term of equipment, office space, food, benefits, security, etc.

Cons

There's no electrical plugs in the HQ parking lot :-)
    That's a detail that will be taken care of soon I'm sure.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Great work and family balance. Very family oriented and care about you and your family. Compensated fairly with achievable quotas.

Cons

Some of the processes and data is not where it needs to be but it is increasing

11. "Great Tech Opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

I enjoy the diversity of technologies that are used in my job. I can see my work go from design to implementation, with all of the steps in-between. The culture is casual, so you can be true to yourself. The benefits are great, and comparable to high-end tech companies. You can be involved with tech talks, trainings, etc - if you have something to share, you can do it here. Cross-functional work is a reality as well.

Cons

Public transportation is not as accessible, but the location is still very good. If you're not accustomed to change, you may be unsettled with the demands of flexible schedules, requirements, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster transparency and insights into the company vision - short and long term.