Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Richard L. Boals

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I guess the good thing about this company is the covered parking for the hot Arizona summer (in 16 reviews)

• The team I work with, every one can choose to work from home 2 days a week (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance does not exist in some departments (in 9 reviews)

• There is no work life balance and it starts at the top with a CIO that works 80 hour weeks (in 4 reviews)

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive and the added benefits (bonus base on performance, a percent of 401K matching and discounts to social activities).

Cons

The work life balance does not exist in some departments. More work based on new partnerships but the same amount of staff just adds more hours to existing staff.

Advice to Management

promottons should be based on skills and knowledge

2. "The WORST Blu Cross"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long history in the state. Covered parking. Great coworkers.

Cons

This is the worst rated Blue Cross company in the entire Blue association. Sadly, the overall company rating is far below any other same size company around. All reviews point to horrendous state of IT in the organization. This department is led by egomaniac management who have no sense of purpose or direction. Petty politics and self preservation is their main strategy. All IT management is really worried about is how to shift the blame back on business and save their own skin. They dissuade their staff to develop partnerships with the business. Business is constantly burdened with finding and fixing IT quality issues. Everything is blamed on poor requirements. IT managers sit in the meetings but say nothing. They are not helpful in any ways. They still use old tools and processes. IT analysts have no skills. Management does not do anything about it. And there are rumors about offshore conversion. No one is keeping business informed of what to expect. Employees are very concerned about their career despite phony management promises. Chaos never seems to settle here.

Advice to Management

IT management needs to find a way to communicate with business at all levels. There is discontent between Director level and worker bees.

"Previously employed for 5 years"

Former Employee - Health Services in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Health Services in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Covered parking, historic great brand name recognition, historic legacy of leaders who were previously loyal to the community, and employees who previously had great pride in their work. The onsite fitness center is fantastic!

Cons

There is a gross vacuum of leadership from the VP level up. The "management style" (not leadership) that remains is done through bullying and intimidation. Employees are marginalized. Therefore collaboration and communication between individuals and departments is almost nonexistent. Common traits of individuals who succeed in the culture are; aggression, service to self vs team, and lack of basic common curtesy to others. The organization is determined to rebrand their competitor's ideas and services (by outsourcing to them) and then calling it their own.

Advice to Management

A charlatan is a person who uses false confidence and tricks to obtain money, fame, or other advantages through pretense and deception.

"Changes needed in IT leadership"

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time

Pros

BCBSAZ takes very good care of its employees and is extremely understanding of personal issues. This is both good and bad as so much care is taken to accommodate them it ends up being to the detriment of high performing employees.

Cons

There is a cancer in the IT department that lives on the fourth floor in the northwest corner office. My whole time at Blue, they treated symptoms of the true issue with training class after training class, round table after round table all while never getting the fact that Sr IT leadership (Director level and above) was the problem. Just read the reviews on here. The CIO is over involved in small details and takes over every meeting she is in. There is a total lack of trust and it is apparent to all non management employees in IT. She (CIO) lamented for 30 minutes in a monthly management meeting over her poor performance review score - as if it was our fault. There is an atmosphere of fear in IT where leaders are afraid to speak up for fear of being brow beaten by the CIO or her VP's. Over the last 1.5 years, 13 managers and a scrum master have all left this poisonous environment.

Advice to Management

Fire the CIO and breathe fresh air into the organization. Hire HONEST and GENUINE leaders not more politicians.

"Distrous IT leadership"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are positives in the benefits structure but the health care is not as good as you would expect. Great industry for an IT professional. Oh yeah, the covered parking.

Cons

Senior IT management is weak motivating their teams and aligning the rough work load with a sense of mission. Management has no respect for people's personal lives. Work life balance is talked about positively in public but seen as weakness in private. As an analyst, I found the developers apathetic since it didn't matter what we did, we were always setup to fail. The poor decisions by leadership are always blamed on employees, especially the people that came in after the pension was no longer offered. Most of the upper management has been there for decades and their recipe is to bring new lower-level managers in for a few years, ride them to death, blame them for every failure and then wait for them to leave so they can replace them. Rinse. Repeat. Why are these people not held accountable for all the people failures under them? We have had countless talented people who quickly see the writing on the wall and go somewhere else. They operate a fear based culture with the CIO being a very ruthless woman who clearly needs to retire and take her 1970s IBM management style with her to her palatial estates. One wrong word in a meeting, or the wrong body language and you are reprimanded and "blackaballed" as people call it. Three is a constant stream of unproductive negative feedback. Supervisors are asked to perform the work the project managers should do. My team is always doing status reporting instead of real work so senior managers do not get berated by the CIO. Projects always fail and the CIO should be ashamed. VPs and Directors have shaky at best technical knowledge. Project managers are running technical development teams and even the CTO is a Project Manager with zero technical or people skills. They built a massive data center next door just in time for the cloud revolution. The office is located in one of the worst parts of Phoenix.

Advice to Management

The culture is so broken I have no advice.

"Unfortunately would not recommend."

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking, annual bonus, and nice facility.

Cons

Infrastructure and antiquated systems lack the support for innovation. Lack of support for collaboration and employee empowerment. Can be very condescending especially for professionals that are use to an environment of sharing information, learning from mistakes, and not having to deal with leaders displaying unprofessional behavior.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract new emoloyees and retain them. Create a genuine culture of employee empowerment, collaboration, sharing information, trust, and diversity in leadership. Walk the talk with employees.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension (for us long term employees), yearly bonus, 401k, parking.....that is about it! Nothing else at this company is worth the headache!

Cons

Buyer beware! The positive posts on here are from the upper IT management! They are NOT from current employees, trust that! The IT area is a joke! They have supervisors that can't even do the analysts work, what sense does that make? The upper management are all a bunch of bullies. The IT employees are all miserable. Constant threats of taking work from home away, the only good thing about working at this company right now! If they use working from home as a benefit to get you in the door, don't fall for it, rumor has it, it won't be around much longer. HR, if you're listening and I know you are, I've seen you respond to some posts, don't let IT take our work from home away! If you care that your employees are happy, you won't let that happen!

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Response

May 5, 2017 – Director of Application Development

We always welcome employee feedback and encourage sharing their concerns, so we can have productive conversations together. We are here and listening. BCBSAZ offers several opportunities for... More

"What a circus"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time

Pros

The usual stuff. Good parking. IT building looks new.

Cons

The IT department is nothing but a circus. The management team is a bunch of jokers. The crazy CIO is total micromanager and the is CTO is an accountant. No one is running is this ship. This war room happy IT management competes for stupidity. They mow people down openly and by asking repeated idiotic questions with no purpose. Work-life balance doesn't exist here. Chaos rules here. People disappear randomly even at senior management positions with no communication. The company is struggling to make money in post-Obamacare time.

Advice to Management

Remove layer. Engage and retain good people. The usual stuff.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Response

Mar 9, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

We always welcome feedback and encourage employees and others to express their viewpoints. We always work toward (and believe we have) a high functioning management team. I would like the chance to... More

9. "Great Company and People!"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator - Contractor in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator - Contractor in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (Less than a year)

Pros

Always work to keep you busy but it was manageable. Flexible schedules

Cons

There were no cons to the position.

"Good work place"

Current Employee - IT Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Covered parking, Flexible work schedules, carpool, on-site gym, Cutting edge technologies, Good health benefits , great leadership and Team work environment.

Cons

Allocate good amount of time for innovation work by prioritizing the projects. More team members like to participate if management support the balance of work between projects and innovation.

Advice to Management

None