Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.8
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President Maurice Smith
Maurice Smith
Pros
  • "Mission minded; opportunity; Benefits; work-life balance(in 177 reviews)

• "Great benefits and work environment(in 157 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor work-life balance at times(in 47 reviews)

• "Many upper management jobs located in IL(in 40 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years
      Featured Review

Great Company, Great Benefits, Lots of Opportunities

Aug 19, 2020 - Strategic Account Manager II in Springfield, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for BCBSIL/ HCSC for almost 20 years and they've been the best. There's always opportunity for advancement if you're looking for it. My salary is competitive for my area and I report up to some of the best management.

Cons

It's definitely a 'corporate' job and it's sometimes difficult getting through the red tape at times.

8 people found this review helpful

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Response

HR Specialist

Thank you for the review and congratulations on (almost) 20 years! It is great to see that you have found opportunities for advancement, appreciate the diversity and inclusion and report to some of the best management. The red tape can take definitely take maneuvering around but it sounds like you have not let it get in your way. Thank you again for the review and the time you have worked here.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company

Mar 1, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Room for Growth

Cons

Short Breaks, Professionalism, Team Work

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Decent company

May 7, 2021 - Utilization Management Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work remotely, beautiful downtown office, wonderful training team in Condition Management from 2011 until around 2014

Cons

The company is excellent but it seems the mid-managers can cast a cloud when they are not conscientious of the necessary management characteristics for employee engagement. Usually, when the manager/employee relationship is symbiotic, an engaged employee will often bring their best work and efforts.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place to Work!!

Apr 15, 2021 - Compliance Auditor in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

HCSC is well diversified and very women friendly organization. The company clearly invest in their employees with educational opportunities beyond professional with health, wellness, and mental well being. Offering many opportunities for growth and monetary incentive with great benefits across the board.

Cons

The company should shift with the changes COVID has introduced with the ability to work from home permanently. The currently policy states within 100 miles from the home office. Opening this up and being flexible allows us to bring in more talent as well as adds to work, home life balance. When offices are located in large cities and congested areas, this brings a negative tone to the work day. Allow more employees to work from home.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Satisfied, pay could be higher

Mar 12, 2021 - Junior Java Developer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at HCSC downtown Chicago office for over 1.5 years. It is my 2nd job. My coworkers and everyone who I have worked with are good kind people, and that matters a lot to me. When things do not go right, they still treat each other with respect. I love the location near the Lake and Lakefront view is absolutely magnificent although the blinds are usually down due to glare from the Sun. Work life balance is good and lunch time is flexible. I usually work 9-5 and take lunch from 12-1. There is enough time to learn and grow professionally and I am working towards certification. I love the fact that there is 0 travel required. Company is stable and earns well. There is low risk of layoff. Many employees have been here for 20+ years. I value stability

Cons

The pay is decent but could be much higher. The thing that bothers me most is that is that there is very little training and documentation. I have to figure everything out on my own or by asking somebody. If employees were given strong training then time would not be wasted

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work, excellent teammates, strange leadership structure

Mar 18, 2021 - Senior Strategy Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll get to work with very smart, kind people who are invested in positive changes to our healthcare system. Opportunities to work on multiple teams if you find your initial area of interest doesn't ultimately suit you.

Cons

Leadership structure is a little odd and results in unclear roles/responsibilities for those reporting to them. Also had a riff at the end of 2019, and when the pandemic hit there was a high rate of attrition. Many teams are stretched thin with no real plan for recruiting additional talent. CEO seems to think this is "great."

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company for professional growth

May 5, 2021 - Senior Manager, Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can quickly move up if that's what you desire. BCBSIL takes great care of its employees and customers.

Cons

Lots of work... not enough time in a day to finish everything.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work and Learn

Apr 26, 2021 - Capacity Analyst in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a large company so there are plenty of opportunities. Larger companies like HCSC can move slow but that does give you time to adapt and build your knowledge. HCSC has a very generous benfit package and is a flexible employer to your needs.

Cons

As mentioned, its a slow company being at this size. Meaning at times you will need to play a game of telephone to find an answer when working across-the-board.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work. Leadership cares about employees

Apr 14, 2021 - Analyst in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home. Great culture. $5,250 annual tuition reimbursement. Regular bonuses. 18 days PTO every year. 8 paid holidays. Regular annual bonuses along with other project based bonuses. Super diverse staff and leadership. I have never been anyplace that took diversity and inclusion as seriously as they do here.

Cons

Salary is good but not in the top tier. Lots of movement in upper management theses days.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

The position is just verbal abuse

May 7, 2021 - Customer Advocate II in Quincy, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, ability to work from home

Cons

High stress, most customers are angry when they call in and take it out on you. The company watches every single thing you do every minute, down to the fact that you have to tell when u are going to the bathroom, and you are only allowed 15 minutes PER WEEK to do so.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,857 Reviews

Popular Careers with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Job Seekers

Health Coordinator
    Learn About the Job
    JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC? Share Your Experiences

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC logo