Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 13, 2018
1,275 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

1,275 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is better than any other company in the industry" (in 141 reviews)

• "Work from home opportunity for all departments even customer care" (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • "No real work life balance offered" (in 41 reviews)

• "Work from home limited to 1 day a week" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sr. Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for - great benefits - values members

Cons

Large organization - slow to implement innovative solutions and change with the times

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Some things take longer than they should to get implemented or approved

Advice to Management

Speed up the ability to change and adapt through new tech

3. "Working at blue"

Current Employee - Assistant Client Consumtant in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Client Consumtant in Richardson, TX

Pros

Flexible work environment with friendly people!

Cons

Nothing major...little bit of an antiquated company, but way ahead of other health insurers.

Advice to Management

Give us some more responsibility if you trust your employees.

4. "Human Resources"

Pros

I have been working for HCSC for some time now and I love my experience. The people are great and I love how there is a work-life balance.

Cons

Some of the tools/products are a bit outdated, but I believe this will change with time.

5. "can't beat the benefits"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Danville, IL
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Danville, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pay, raise yearly, chance for bonuses, can't beat the health/vision/dental benefits, 401k and pension, flex time, work from home opportunity

Cons

can tend to be a negative work environment, but you just have to decide what you allow in and be grateful for what you have.

Advice to Management

the management I think was part of the issue when I was there has recently retired and it seems to have changed completely for a lot of people. to bad that didn't happen when i was still there.

6. "Retail Membership"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is like a family. The company truly cares about your well being and the work -life balance is the best I have come across to date.

Cons

There are none that I can see yet.

7. "FUN JOB"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

So far my time here has been outstanding. Its also one of the most comfortable places I have ever worked. I can be myself and there's always someone there to help or answer all my questions. I love what I do. I never feel when I wake up in the morning that I don't want to come to work. I truly enjoy my work here at BCBS.

Cons

I had to sit here and think and think about what don't I like about working here. I wish lunch was one hour but that's no big deal. that's about all I can honestly think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "CC UM"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Great benefits, nice employees, good training. So far so good. I'm still fairly new, only here 2 months.

Cons

Parking at the Alb. NM site off of 25th Way. Usually full and mostly compact parking.

Advice to Management

Allow for a few minutes to find parking that you can fit in when arriving and coming back from lunch lol. (I try to give myself extra time to arrive too).

9. "ITG QA Team"

Current Employee - Testing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Testing in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good people, good office and location. Great benefits, pension plan and 401K with good company match. Work from home is allowed one day a week. Laid back environment at times. Company went through reorganization and it introduced a lot of new tools and processes.

Cons

Managers in technical departments are not technical at all and its hard to explain anything to them. They come up with unrealistic ideas and you have to go above and beyond when explaining them that it won't work that way.

10. "RN UM/CM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Work from home
    - Good managers and co-workers

Cons

The company does not hire Nurse Practitioners.

Showing 1,275 of 1,355 reviews