Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017
1,015 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

1,015 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance can be improved (in 32 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for personal growth/experiences!
    Treat their employees great!

Cons

Changes made swiftly to customer service, without proper training in some areas
    At times not enough resources available to complete job efficiently

Advice to Management

Consolidate some areas to make jobs easier, Revisit current evaluation processes

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Response

Apr 24, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. If you have specific ideas on how some areas can be consolidated to make jobs easier or to improve the evaluation process we encourage you to share... More

2. "Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Solid management
    - Great co-workers
    - Lots of internal movement and opportunity for advancement
    - Yearly reviews and salary increases
    - Company bonuses
    - Company holds true to diverse and inclusive goals
    - Lots of opportunities to volunteer and do charitable work within organization
    - Work from home available
    - Solid work/life balance, very flexible

Cons

-Health insurance benefits are a little high
    -Overall company culture could be stronger

Advice to Management

-Continue to make sure your employees feel valued

3. "Outstanding Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many reasons that I feel BCBS is an outstanding place to work. The benefits, the people, the perks, the awesome environment. Employees are made to feel like they are important and are given opportunities to be heard and make a difference.

Cons

Some of the leaders are so busy they don't take the time to interact with their staff.

4. "ITG Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - ITG Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ITG Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have worked in the Talent Acquisition space for over 15 years. My focus and passion is IT. I thrive on expanding my network with key IT contributors and innovators and I love that the company I work for allows this growth professionally. The HCSC brand is a household name, the TA management is thinking strategically and in the world of IT, strategy is the key in remaining competitive and reputable. I look forward to all the exciting initiatives ahead and encourage everyone to visit our careers page for a glimpse of all the opportunity to be part of such a reputable organization!

Cons

Companies, candidates and employees today exist in the most connected generation in history. We must position ourselves to think anytime, anyplace and anyhow. As a TA organization we are taking the necessary steps to transform our employees to knowledge workers. This transformation poses challenges to any organization in a competitive market, but as with any other challenge, we will adjust and position ourselves to continue to thrive in changing markets, enhance our knowledge on market trends and remain the nations largest customer owned insurer in the nation.

5. "Manager"

Pros

Fair and great company culture

Cons

Slow process for it changes

6. "Sr Contact Management Technical Analyst"

Pros

Great company to work for. I loved my job.

Cons

Didn't really have any issues other than the drive to work.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of your employee's personal life and circumstances

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and senior management are a major plus. On my first day people told me that the employees here are nice but wow, they weren't kidding! The work environment is very team oriented - "we're all in this together" type culture. The benefits are very good - especially the pension plan. What company in this dage and age offers a pension plan plus a 401k plan??? Work -life balance is another plus. Most people are out the door at 5:00pm.

Cons

I've been with the company 4 months now and have no complaints right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good communication as well as keeping the company at the forefront of the health insurance industry.

8. "Company in Transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

People are very nice, helpful, even if they have been here a long time. Long history of being complacent and doing things "because that's how we have always done it" but lots of new people have come onboard. Culture and minds are shifting to be more open, flexible and adaptable.

Cons

Still very rigid and political environment. Slow moving to make changes.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope and become a company of this century. Modernize your infrastructure and break down rules of the past. No one has formal dress anymore!

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with there.

Cons

Very hierarchical company and the best way to get promoted is to move from one area of the company to another. Pay is below industry average and merit increases are small

10. "This company takes very good care of it's employees."

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Abilene, TX

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The level of leadership, management and customer service is excellent. The benefits are outstanding. They have a great training claims processing program.

When you need help you sign up for tech time, which then you receive one on one assistance to process the claims accurately.

The people are outgoing and very cpmpationate. Management has an open door policy, and are what makes working there so enjoyable.

Cons

Sometimes you will have to work a lot of overtime and on Saturdays. High stress, fast paced processing. Quality control and accuracy can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep your open door policy it is very helpful.

Showing 1,015 of 1,072 reviews