Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 23, 2017
1,019 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

1,019 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance can be improved (in 32 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for personal growth/experiences!
    Treat their employees great!

Cons

Changes made swiftly to customer service, without proper training in some areas
    At times not enough resources available to complete job efficiently

Advice to Management

Consolidate some areas to make jobs easier, Revisit current evaluation processes

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Response

Apr 24, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. If you have specific ideas on how some areas can be consolidated to make jobs easier or to improve the evaluation process we encourage you to share... More

2. "A Great Purpose-Driven Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at all levels understand and live the company's purpose -- to do everything in our power to stand by our members in sickness and in health. I routinely work with colleagues across many different areas of the enterprise, and I'm genuinely inspired by how much dedication and care they exhibit. It goes a long way to make up for the often stressful and sometimes onerous tasks of corporate life easier to live with.

Cons

We are a large corporation, and hierarchies and inertia are an unavoidable by product.

3. "Sr. Manager"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great communication from leadership, excellent career opportunities, competitive benefits package, diverse group of employees.

Cons

None at all, great company!

4. "BCBS REVIEW of job"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a Good bonus and fairly good pay

Cons

Insufficient training, poor treatment, high turnover

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and appreciation and maybe they'll stay

5. "Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Solid management
    - Great co-workers
    - Lots of internal movement and opportunity for advancement
    - Yearly reviews and salary increases
    - Company bonuses
    - Company holds true to diverse and inclusive goals
    - Lots of opportunities to volunteer and do charitable work within organization
    - Work from home available
    - Solid work/life balance, very flexible

Cons

-Health insurance benefits are a little high
    -Overall company culture could be stronger

Advice to Management

-Continue to make sure your employees feel valued

6. "Outstanding Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many reasons that I feel BCBS is an outstanding place to work. The benefits, the people, the perks, the awesome environment. Employees are made to feel like they are important and are given opportunities to be heard and make a difference.

Cons

Some of the leaders are so busy they don't take the time to interact with their staff.

7. "ITG Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - ITG Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ITG Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have worked in the Talent Acquisition space for over 15 years. My focus and passion is IT. I thrive on expanding my network with key IT contributors and innovators and I love that the company I work for allows this growth professionally. The HCSC brand is a household name, the TA management is thinking strategically and in the world of IT, strategy is the key in remaining competitive and reputable. I look forward to all the exciting initiatives ahead and encourage everyone to visit our careers page for a glimpse of all the opportunity to be part of such a reputable organization!

Cons

Companies, candidates and employees today exist in the most connected generation in history. We must position ourselves to think anytime, anyplace and anyhow. As a TA organization we are taking the necessary steps to transform our employees to knowledge workers. This transformation poses challenges to any organization in a competitive market, but as with any other challenge, we will adjust and position ourselves to continue to thrive in changing markets, enhance our knowledge on market trends and remain the nations largest customer owned insurer in the nation.

8. "Manager"

Pros

Fair and great company culture

Cons

Slow process for it changes

9. "Sr Contact Management Technical Analyst"

Pros

Great company to work for. I loved my job.

Cons

Didn't really have any issues other than the drive to work.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of your employee's personal life and circumstances

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and senior management are a major plus. On my first day people told me that the employees here are nice but wow, they weren't kidding! The work environment is very team oriented - "we're all in this together" type culture. The benefits are very good - especially the pension plan. What company in this dage and age offers a pension plan plus a 401k plan??? Work -life balance is another plus. Most people are out the door at 5:00pm.

Cons

I've been with the company 4 months now and have no complaints right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good communication as well as keeping the company at the forefront of the health insurance industry.

Showing 1,019 of 1,076 reviews