Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.5
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President Maurice Smith
Maurice Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "can become envious or embittered because the work/life balance that is so highly promoted seems to apply to everyone else but you(in 44 reviews)

• "Many upper management jobs located in IL(in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Room for growth, diverse culture and good benefits"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a large organization with room for growth if you work on yourself. Benefits are market standard for IT positions. It's also a recognizable brand which is good on your resume! The organization is truly committed to diversity and you can find people from very diverse backgrounds. Overall a good place to be!

Cons

Onboarding can be challenging as you may be assigned many projects without being given enough time to digest and understand the products and processes. If you can survive the first few months then things should get easier down the road.

Continue reading

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Response

October 9, 2019HR Specialist

We are glad to see that you are experiencing the friendly and supportive culture at HCSC! You are right that as a large company it can sometimes take time to find all of the resources. If you have any specific suggestions on how that (or your advice on flexible work) we encourage you to share them with your manager or the right team. Thank you for the review!

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Health Advocate in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth opportunity, great culture, nice environment

Cons

Hard to take time off

3. "Something new every day"

4.0
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

Pros

Days go by quickly. Consistently busy. a lot of opportunities for different positions. Fabulous benefits

Cons

Sometimes frustrated without any direction on how to solve issues. Instructed to follow SOPs, job aids but then you find out you were not supposed to follow "that" SOP of JA. Questionnaires that you are subbing one question with another and then answering that question. Can get very confusing.

4. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very collaborative and supportive culture, driven by a company-wide mission to do what's best for our members and employees.

Cons

Documentation of processes is rarely a priority which leads to steep learning curves and sometimes errors when someone needs to step into a new role unexpectedly.

5. "Training"

Current Employee - Health Advocate in Jacksonville, IL

Pros

I am almost done with the 8 weeks of training for the Health Advocate position. I love all the support we get. As my Instructor once said "No man left behind". They make sure you understand everything and when you are struggling they are there to help you get back up. Its stressful and even hard at times but its also the best job I have ever had and I am proud to be a BCBS of IL employee.

Cons

At this point in time I do not have any cons.

June 30, 2020HR Specialist

We are happy to see that you love the training and the support you get at work! As you move forward through your career we are confident you will continue to be supported and trained. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

6. COVID-19

"Average"

Current Employee - Administrative

Pros

-Nice coworkers who do the right thing -Decent benefits -Having a work life balance seems to be accepted in most departments -Truly Inclusive Culture -

Cons

-Senior Leadership is out of touch with communicating -Sending employees back to the office non voluntarily during Covid

7. COVID-19

"Internal communications need some work."

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Work-life balance -Generous PTO and holidays for a company its size -Excellent coworkers

Cons

-Aggressive return to office plan during the pandemic; vague and sporadic communications about the return plan -Not addressing employee concerns about going back to work -One of very few companies that is being inflexible and requiring employees to return this year

8. "Great Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of room for growth

Cons

work life balance is hard

9. "Great healthcare payer to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Business Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Large networking potential across the organization Professional Development opportunities and education readily available

Cons

limited shareable/interactive working spaces for all employees to access

10. "N/A"

Current Employee - Advanced Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

the best work environment you can expect

Cons

no cons, I can assure about that

Found 1526 reviews