Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance was a struggle (in 33 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 36 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Pros

Staff was nice, always upbeat and smiles. Easy to work with colleagues.

Cons

Salary is too low, long work hours during month end, quarter end and year end.

Advice to Management

Start paying little more salary so employees can work better.

"Unstable - consider waiting a few years before joining"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depends on the area of the organization you work in. This is a large company so experiences can vary greatly. While there have been significant changes to compensation & benefits over the years, mid-level jobs are still competitive. Entry level jobs are not as much as many other companies offer greater work/life balance, flexibility, less expensive insurance premiums, greater health coverage, higher wages, etc. There are many opportunities for growth & development. The company focuses heavily on diversity & inclusion. Ethics & compliance is a cornerstone. All as a result of lessons learned.

Cons

The company has suffered financially over the past few years due to health care reform. As a result, there have been (and continue to be) many organizational changes. Roles are not clearly defined, goals are ambiguous, less investment in the tools & resources needed to perform. Large employee buy-outs which have lead to inexperienced staff and in some cases incompetency. Disconnected leadership. The customer first culture has changed to a more cost structured approach (level of service is based on what you pay). They still offer products on the health insurance exchange, but they are costly and complex. The company used to advocate for its members (by taking the member out of the middle), now a series of new roles have been created, which has become much more invasive in managing the members health (which at times can be contradictory to health care professionals).

Advice to Management

Rebuild trust with employees, invest in the tools & technologies needed to improve and sustain performance, put the customer first. Simplify the products & services offered. Remember what it means to be a non-investor owned company. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

3. "nurse"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time

Pros

Work from home, decent hours, although with changes on horizon I don't know how long either of those things will last. the job itself is good and not labor intensive, I get to use my brain and analyze things, utilize critical thinking and collaborate with other disciplines which is good and efficient.

Cons

EVERYTHING is a secret from management. we get no information and what we do its bits and pieces and nothing is ever straight forward. Its annoying and frustrating. We get dragged downtown for meetings that could have been done easily over conference call as a means to promote a "rah rah" atmosphere and rally the troops but in essence they just wait to the end of the power point to drop a game changing bomb on us for what is headed our way, instead of saying, here is the business need and here is what we need from you. There is no transparency from upper management and because you work from home its almost like it gets manipulated and hung over your head to do more work.

Advice to Management

TALK TO US! frequently, regularly and without the fluff. Be honest, otherwise people are going to leave and quality will suffer. I know that the changes are meant to improve business and drive results but it shouldn't be done at the cost of your people.

4. "market analyst"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with great vision.

Cons

Current political climate, uneasiness in sector.

5. "HEDIS Lead"

Former Contractor - RN, PhD in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Contractor - RN, PhD in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and working team, some flexibility in work hours, some remote work, attentive to provider needs

Cons

Temporary work, which is both a pro and con

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

6. "Claims examiner"

Pros

Learned medical claim coding skills

Cons

Low pay and mediocre benefits for large company

Advice to Management

Pay better will attract better employee pool

"Great place for saftey"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC as a contractor

Pros

Its that typical cubicle job you always here about.

Cons

It's kind of the same routine

"FEP Program Customer Service"

Former Employee - FEP Customer Service in Helena, MT
    Former Employee - FEP Customer Service in Helena, MT

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training Manual, Great Trainer, Ergonomics were big

Cons

Bad Health Insurance, Bad Team Environment

Advice to Management

A team should work together and be friendly with each other, not try and stab each other in the back

"Team Lead"

Pros

Great pay and benefits, work from home.

Cons

Team culture is not great, no growth.

"Good for entry level software developer roles."

Pros

They arrange for classroom training for employees so that beginners can get acquainted with the technologies that are being used for a particular project.

Cons

Not many IT opportunities in Oklahoma offices.

Showing 301 of 1,125 reviews