Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 8, 2017

4.0
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance was a struggle (in 33 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for personal growth/experiences!
    Treat their employees great!

Cons

Changes made swiftly to customer service, without proper training in some areas
    At times not enough resources available to complete job efficiently

Advice to Management

Consolidate some areas to make jobs easier, Revisit current evaluation processes

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Response

Apr 24, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. If you have specific ideas on how some areas can be consolidated to make jobs easier or to improve the evaluation process we encourage you to share... More

2. "Friendly place to work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC as a contractor

Pros

Friendly people, nice office building

Cons

None that I know of

3. "Opportunities to Grow For Young Professionals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on the group your are associated with there can be a great sense of team collaboration, open working environment. I also love the flexible schedule where individuals can work from home as well.

Cons

The organization is still undergoing a transformation. There is some unknowns to how they will end up. So taking on a role, may or may not be a good idea.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that you are on. Move the culture to be throughout all levels of the organization.

"HCSC allowed me to blossom as an employee."

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours in claims processing, great benefits, plenty of opportunities to move upward, ethical company, pay was great for our demographic area.

Cons

This can be a very stressful job. Lots of office drama. In our particular site upper management were very unprofessional at times playing favorites, talking about others behind their backs, throwing people under the bus in front of others and not retracting those statements when proven wrong.

Advice to Management

Act like the professional you are supposed to be. Be consistent in how you handle people.

5. "Review"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC as a contractor

Pros

It's a pleasure to work in BCBS

Cons

I find no cons in BCBS

Advice to Management

No Advice to the management from me

6. "Overall a Good Work Environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leaders of the organization care about the wellbeing of its employees and its customers.

Cons

Technology and bureaucracy tend to slow progress.

7. "Medical Director"

Pros

Strong commitment to collaboration, community, ethics, and diversity.
    Accepts leadership role in its markets responsibly.
    Friendly, caring employees.

Cons

Somewhat insular culture, resistant to pursuing best innovative practices. (This is improving, however.)

Advice to Management

Work closely with each state's Department of Insurance and key provider entities. As HCSC "centralizes", these local relationships will continue to "make or break" the organization.

8. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

Pros

Nice place to work work

Cons

Nothing. Bad to say about the company

9. "Compliance Associate"

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Offices are attractive and well located. HQ has a fitness center. Flex time and work from home days are possible. Management supports corporate ethics commitment.

Cons

For a good number of employees, the workload is expanding on a regular basis without relief, making it difficult or unlikely for these employees to launch and complete true personal initiatives, which are required for high performance ratings. Just performing all of one’s growing responsibilities well does not warrant a high rating. This situation can lead to stress, which is common for many employees. The situation also leads to jockeying and politics surrounding the assignment of new workloads.

Advice to Management

Commit to balancing the workload and come up with more realistic performance rating criteria.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator UM/CM II in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator UM/CM II in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BCBSTX is a diverse company. You will feel welcome no matter what. There is room for advancement if you're a nurse and you're willing to put in some effort. There is opportunity to work from home. Working in a corporate environment is nice and there are lots of perks.

Cons

As a nurse, if you are not in management you will have to meet monthly production goals which can be difficult.

Showing 286 of 1,133 reviews