Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

Current Employees

3.2
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance was a struggle (in 33 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Benefi Value Advisor in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for personal growth/experiences!
    Treat their employees great!

Cons

Changes made swiftly to customer service, without proper training in some areas
    At times not enough resources available to complete job efficiently

Advice to Management

Consolidate some areas to make jobs easier, Revisit current evaluation processes

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Response

Apr 24, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. If you have specific ideas on how some areas can be consolidated to make jobs easier or to improve the evaluation process we encourage you to share... More

2. "Good place to work"

Pros

Staff was nice, always upbeat and smiles. Easy to work with colleagues.

Cons

Salary is too low, long work hours during month end, quarter end and year end.

Advice to Management

Start paying little more salary so employees can work better.

3. "nurse"

Pros

Work from home, decent hours, although with changes on horizon I don't know how long either of those things will last. the job itself is good and not labor intensive, I get to use my brain and analyze things, utilize critical thinking and collaborate with other disciplines which is good and efficient.

Cons

EVERYTHING is a secret from management. we get no information and what we do its bits and pieces and nothing is ever straight forward. Its annoying and frustrating. We get dragged downtown for meetings that could have been done easily over conference call as a means to promote a "rah rah" atmosphere and rally the troops but in essence they just wait to the end of the power point to drop a game changing bomb on us for what is headed our way, instead of saying, here is the business need and here is what we need from you. There is no transparency from upper management and because you work from home its almost like it gets manipulated and hung over your head to do more work.

Advice to Management

TALK TO US! frequently, regularly and without the fluff. Be honest, otherwise people are going to leave and quality will suffer. I know that the changes are meant to improve business and drive results but it shouldn't be done at the cost of your people.

4. "Lofty goals, caring culture!"

Current Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High standards and strong brand. Town Halls help connect us to business and organizational changes. Company cares about its people. Excellent benefits, pension plan is great.

Cons

None that I can think of. Industry is undergoing tremendous changes and the uncertainty tied to Healthcare and ACA has presented challenges for us.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator UM/CM II in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator UM/CM II in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BCBSTX is a diverse company. You will feel welcome no matter what. There is room for advancement if you're a nurse and you're willing to put in some effort. There is opportunity to work from home. Working in a corporate environment is nice and there are lots of perks.

Cons

As a nurse, if you are not in management you will have to meet monthly production goals which can be difficult.

6. "Sr UAT Tester"

Current Employee - UAT Tester in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - UAT Tester in Marion, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Constant room for advancement and professional development

Cons

Insurance industry is in kind of a state of flux with the governmental changes. I am just glad that I am not at the top rung of leadership.

Advice to Management

Hang in there. You are doing great considering the uncertainty of today's world

"Manager - Corp Services"

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits, PTO, PTO, PTO!

Cons

Leadership is all over the place, no clear direction, underwriting gains and risk management success blinds good decision making about people.

Advice to Management

Remove management layers to improve communication.

"Operational"

Pros

Benefits are great,and its centrally located in the downtown area

Cons

This company is unethical! Run,as far away from this Organization as you can!
     Blue Cross is surviving only and I repeat ,only on its Brand! Make sue you have an exit strategy, Leadership is the weakest I have ever experienced. Don't do it! Run!

Advice to Management

Work on your ethical behaviors.

9. "My experience at BlueCross Blueshield"

Pros

Work from Home Flexibility, diverse work environment, great culture

Cons

Limited opportunity for salary growth without changing jobs.

"Great place for saftey"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC as a contractor

Pros

Its that typical cubicle job you always here about.

Cons

It's kind of the same routine

Showing 673 of 1,123 reviews