Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Steiner
Paula Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance can be improved (in 32 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 35 reviews)

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with there.

Cons

Very hierarchical company and the best way to get promoted is to move from one area of the company to another. Pay is below industry average and merit increases are small

2. "It's a solid place to work"

Pros

Work from home, many vacation options, BCBS offered health insurance is always a plus.. There are a lot of nice little events and definitely transparency in leadership at the site I work at. I am not afraid to talk to leadership here - definitely an ethical company.

Cons

The common gripe is pay. I am about 1 and a half standard deviations lower then others with same experience, doing the same work in my field - I guess that's partially my fault. Not enough emphasis on new/emerging technologies. A whole lot of bureaucracy and isolation within departments.

Advice to Management

When you think of Google, Amazon, or Facebook, what do you think? With that being said, the traditional cubicle style just needs to go. Make your employees happy and WANT to work hard. Let them take breaks whenever they want to, let them come to work in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt - just as long as it's presentable. Emphasize positive re-enforcement instead of negative. Give employees a sense of value and belonging and they will work hard.

3. "Good Company"

Pros

Good benefits and salary from the company

Cons

Some management, lack of enterprise wide work from home, and work life balance.

4. "Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a laid back style, location is perfect, office is nice

Cons

Very lengthy approval process to get access to data

Advice to Management

Learn more technical skills

5. "Health coordinator"

Pros

Great benefits and good location

Cons

Government programs is disorganized. No overtime

"Truly Sad"

Pros

Used to be great place to work

Cons

They outsourced their IT Department and its all crumbling down, massive layoffs.

Advice to Management

There are better companies in DFW that actually treat their employee's with respect an dignity....find one before your the next one to get laid off!

7. "project manager"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with opportunities to move around

Cons

No direction from management on project execution

Advice to Management

Get more involved with day to day operations

"Health Coordinator"

Pros

Great Pay/ benefits/ diverse, / union

Cons

Bad management, bad hours/some things are ran like hishchool

Advice to Management

do better

"A company in flux"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really good lower level people. The "workers" are great, and made some good friends.

Cons

Mgmt is either out of touch or handcuffed to grow their talent. There is a very large divide between the haves and have nots. Most managers I see did little work and as reductions in force continue more is put on the professionals. New ideas consist of outsourcing or giving work to a contractor. Implementation is always a disaster and no one knows who is responsible.

Advice to Management

You attract good talent on your name and brand, listen their ideas. Groom talent for the next level. You are too focused on your pension and making to retirement.

"OK"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of women, lots of differing cultures and inclusion. healthy work environment; encouraged to break and walk and eat well. work from home options are improving.

Cons

even though 2/3 women lots of men at top; once your in if they don't like you they hold you back. cliquey. nurses and horizontal violence not lost but worse here. don't develop people just get managers from outside. management needs more help probably

Advice to Management

develop your people from inside. looking outside the company for management is a bit disastrous and long time for them to settle in.

Showing 287 of 1,061 reviews