Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2017
1,065 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,065 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance was a struggle (in 33 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 37 reviews)

1. "Compliance Associate"

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Offices are attractive and well located. HQ has a fitness center. Flex time and work from home days are possible. Management supports corporate ethics commitment.

Cons

For a good number of employees, the workload is expanding on a regular basis without relief, making it difficult or unlikely for these employees to launch and complete true personal initiatives, which are required for high performance ratings. Just performing all of one’s growing responsibilities well does not warrant a high rating. This situation can lead to stress, which is common for many employees. The situation also leads to jockeying and politics surrounding the assignment of new workloads.

Advice to Management

Commit to balancing the workload and come up with more realistic performance rating criteria.

2. "HCSC review"

Former Employee - Senior Client Technical Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Client Technical Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate Fitness Center in main offices. Work life balance very good. Promoting from within.

Cons

Workloads varied by teams that worked closely together. That created tension among co-workers.

Advice to Management

Find supervisors and managers that support the person doing the work.

3. "Recruiting Coordinator"

Pros

Flexible, caring management, advancement opportunities

Cons

Pto policy and health insurance options changed

4. "Accountant"

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great working environment

Cons

Not a good commute, politics

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator UM/CM II in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator UM/CM II in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BCBSTX is a diverse company. You will feel welcome no matter what. There is room for advancement if you're a nurse and you're willing to put in some effort. There is opportunity to work from home. Working in a corporate environment is nice and there are lots of perks.

Cons

As a nurse, if you are not in management you will have to meet monthly production goals which can be difficult.

"If you don’t have anywhere to go..."

Pros

Gather a amount of smart persons. However soon they left

Cons

Middle management team is lack of knowledge of how systems work. Can’t believe how they manage; architecture and infrastructure are out of date

Advice to Management

Hey you also need to catch up with advance management style. Do not sit in meetings all day long

7. "Lofty goals, caring culture!"

Current Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High standards and strong brand. Town Halls help connect us to business and organizational changes. Company cares about its people. Excellent benefits, pension plan is great.

Cons

None that I can think of. Industry is undergoing tremendous changes and the uncertainty tied to Healthcare and ACA has presented challenges for us.

"Unstable - consider waiting a few years before joining"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Depends on the area of the organization you work in. This is a large company so experiences can vary greatly. While there have been significant changes to compensation & benefits over the years, mid-level jobs are still competitive. Entry level jobs are not as much as many other companies offer greater work/life balance, flexibility, less expensive insurance premiums, greater health coverage, higher wages, etc. There are many opportunities for growth & development. The company focuses heavily on diversity & inclusion. Ethics & compliance is a cornerstone. All as a result of lessons learned.

Cons

The company has suffered financially over the past few years due to health care reform. As a result, there have been (and continue to be) many organizational changes. Roles are not clearly defined, goals are ambiguous, less investment in the tools & resources needed to perform. Large employee buy-outs which have lead to inexperienced staff and in some cases incompetency. Disconnected leadership. The customer first culture has changed to a more cost structured approach (level of service is based on what you pay). They still offer products on the health insurance exchange, but they are costly and complex. The company used to advocate for its members (by taking the member out of the middle), now a series of new roles have been created, which has become much more invasive in managing the members health (which at times can be contradictory to health care professionals).

Advice to Management

Rebuild trust with employees, invest in the tools & technologies needed to improve and sustain performance, put the customer first. Simplify the products & services offered. Remember what it means to be a non-investor owned company. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

"nurse"

Pros

Work from home, decent hours, although with changes on horizon I don't know how long either of those things will last. the job itself is good and not labor intensive, I get to use my brain and analyze things, utilize critical thinking and collaborate with other disciplines which is good and efficient.

Cons

EVERYTHING is a secret from management. we get no information and what we do its bits and pieces and nothing is ever straight forward. Its annoying and frustrating. We get dragged downtown for meetings that could have been done easily over conference call as a means to promote a "rah rah" atmosphere and rally the troops but in essence they just wait to the end of the power point to drop a game changing bomb on us for what is headed our way, instead of saying, here is the business need and here is what we need from you. There is no transparency from upper management and because you work from home its almost like it gets manipulated and hung over your head to do more work.

Advice to Management

TALK TO US! frequently, regularly and without the fluff. Be honest, otherwise people are going to leave and quality will suffer. I know that the changes are meant to improve business and drive results but it shouldn't be done at the cost of your people.

10. "Good place to work"

Pros

Staff was nice, always upbeat and smiles. Easy to work with colleagues.

Cons

Salary is too low, long work hours during month end, quarter end and year end.

Advice to Management

Start paying little more salary so employees can work better.

Showing 1,065 of 1,131 reviews