Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017
1,066 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,066 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance was a struggle (in 33 reviews)

• In my experience, upper management frequently turns a deaf ear to the concerns of staff level employees (in 37 reviews)

1. "ITG Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - ITG Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ITG Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the Talent Acquisition space for over 15 years. My focus and passion is IT. I thrive on expanding my network with key IT contributors and innovators and I love that the company I work for allows this growth professionally. The HCSC brand is a household name, the TA management is thinking strategically and in the world of IT, strategy is the key in remaining competitive and reputable. I look forward to all the exciting initiatives ahead and encourage everyone to visit our careers page for a glimpse of all the opportunity to be part of such a reputable organization!

Cons

Companies, candidates and employees today exist in the most connected generation in history. We must position ourselves to think anytime, anyplace and anyhow. As a TA organization we are taking the necessary steps to transform our employees to knowledge workers. This transformation poses challenges to any organization in a competitive market, but as with any other challenge, we will adjust and position ourselves to continue to thrive in changing markets, enhance our knowledge on market trends and remain the nations largest customer owned insurer in the nation.

"Fair"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunity is appealing. Encourages employees to provide feedback on a variety of topics, related to work processes.

Cons

Micromanagement from some leaders tend to be unexpected, and possibly unnecessary. Employees who have a great work ethic will, most likely, be even more productive when they feel appreciated and trusted.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees on an individual basis.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and senior management are a major plus. On my first day people told me that the employees here are nice but wow, they weren't kidding! The work environment is very team oriented - "we're all in this together" type culture. The benefits are very good - especially the pension plan. What company in this dage and age offers a pension plan plus a 401k plan??? Work -life balance is another plus. Most people are out the door at 5:00pm.

Cons

I've been with the company 4 months now and have no complaints right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good communication as well as keeping the company at the forefront of the health insurance industry.

"This company takes very good care of it's employees."

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Abilene, TX

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The level of leadership, management and customer service is excellent. The benefits are outstanding. They have a great training claims processing program.

When you need help you sign up for tech time, which then you receive one on one assistance to process the claims accurately.

The people are outgoing and very cpmpationate. Management has an open door policy, and are what makes working there so enjoyable.

Cons

Sometimes you will have to work a lot of overtime and on Saturdays. High stress, fast paced processing. Quality control and accuracy can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep your open door policy it is very helpful.

"Meh."

Pros

The benefits are somewhat OK.

Cons

Not the best place to work.

Advice to Management

Change.

"BCBS REVIEW of job"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a Good bonus and fairly good pay

Cons

Insufficient training, poor treatment, high turnover

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and appreciation and maybe they'll stay

"Insurance Restructuring"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas | HCSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's not the bedside.

Cons

Plan to work hard. Learn to streamline your work.

Advice to Management

More work/ home life balance is needed.

8. "Love this place!"

Pros

I'm a new employee here and I am so happy to have gotten this opportunity, not only has the team made me feel comfortable but the on boarding was smooth. This is such a great company, and they are only growing more each day. Management has been great and very helpful, and I feel they will help me move my career forward.

Cons

So far I don't feel anything has been a Con

"Operational"

Pros

Benefits are great,and its centrally located in the downtown area

Cons

This company is unethical! Run,as far away from this Organization as you can!
     Blue Cross is surviving only and I repeat ,only on its Brand! Make sue you have an exit strategy, Leadership is the weakest I have ever experienced. Don't do it! Run!

Advice to Management

Work on your ethical behaviors.

"Company trying to find it's way"

Former Employee - IT Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Team Leader in Chicago, IL

Pros

Upper management working to adapt to new realities in insurance market, good brand, nice benefits.
    Company had solid financials in order to sustain spending needed and profit changes due to ACA.

Cons

Some of the new leaders are mean spirited. It is obvious they want to get rid of the "old employees" any way they can.

Advice to Management

Stop posting phony reviews that say everything is wonderful.

Showing 1,066 of 1,133 reviews