Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Member Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Member Service Representative

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Member Service Representative Reviews

Found 7 reviews

3.4
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts CEO Andrew Dreyfus
Andrew Dreyfus
  1. "Member Service Representative"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The company understands the value of a work life balance. They provide excellent benefits along with a fantastic amount of paid time off. They offer many excellent internal classes and courses for career development.

Cons

Member service position has an 18 month commitment before able to apply to other internal positions.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2018-10-02

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Response

October 11, 2018University Relations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We welcome and value your perspective.

"It Depends on What You're Looking For"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

The Pay is okay and work life balance is okay, ability to work from home, decent benefits, commuter pass, daycare on site, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Working a 40 hour work week but only getting paid for 37.5 and in order to get overtime you have to get paid for over 40 hours (Makes no sense right?) No gym, terrible lunch, Not minority friendly unless you want to be a Member Service Rep forever. The company continues to put diversity on their list of values, however diversity only exists at the lowest levels of employment here. If you are a customer service rep trying...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the needs of your minorities. We are people too. We have to work 100x harder than the non minorities you overlook us for.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2018-08-20
    • "The very definition of an entry level job."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent starting salary. Lots of training and potential to move up in the company. You meet a lot of great people in the department. Managers care about your career and will help you find opportunities outside of your role.

Cons

18 month commitment to the role is excessive. It's a call center role which is not for everyone. Role can get stressful having to deal with people's medical claims. Any call could potentially put you over the edge. There isn't a lot of "freedom" in the role, you sit for hours in your cube and take calls all day.

Advice to Management

Offer more career development for entry level employees.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2016-06-21
    • "controlled and underpaid"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Weymouth, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts for more than 4 years

Pros

- coworkers - generous vacation time - ability to take work from home

Cons

-annual raises are never more than 50 cents per hour -forced to learn new splits which they do not pay you for -different departments are very separate, even if your immediate managers are rooting for you they have little to no say whether or not you get the job -very difficult to move up, interviews can be confidence killers... - "personal time" limited to 15 mins max per day and monitored, scheduled and unpaid...

Advice to Management

Focus more on quality over quantity. Stop putting so much weight on the number of calls and focus on FCR and of the member was taken care of/fully educated. if an MS associate is doing side tasks off the phones be sure to communicate it to the appropriate department to give the associate a opportunity for growth...

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2016-05-18

"Alright."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Dorchester, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

great benefits child care in building but its not cheap a lot of healthy movements towards a better life

Cons

not much lean way with moving up you have to spend 18 months in the position you got hired for so burn out is common tough job if your on phones, a lot of verbal abuse some times. pay should be more for the amount of work you do and your stress level will increase

Advice to Management

Needs a whole system of change, its very poorly

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2015-12-03

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Response

December 29, 2015HR Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We especially appreciate hearing from our current employees. As the first point of contact for our members, our Member Service Representatives are critical to our success which is why we developed a three-month intensive training program ...

"Member Service Representative"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Hingham, MA

Pros

Working there has a pretty good work/life balance. You are in control of what you become at BCBS and taking initiative definitely plays a major role.

Cons

Favoritism happens almost all the time. And there isn't a clear/consise guideline on how to make yourself better.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2015-09-30
    • "Due to the economy, there were no opportunities for growth."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Quincy, MA

Pros

The employees truly care about their job and the company cares about its employees

Cons

As there was a long hiring freeze, there was no where to move in the company, leading to stagnation.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2012-08-22