Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Reviews

Updated May 7, 2020

3.7
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts President and CEO Andrew Dreyfus
Andrew Dreyfus
Pros
  • "Provide a healthy work/life balance(in 61 reviews)

• "Great company to work for with great benefits including health insurance and vacation time(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "BCBSMA is a health care dinosaur that is unable to make positive change to meet the demands of the growing healthcare industry(in 10 reviews)

• "Great company to work for so no one ever leaves(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Compnay"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Quincy, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for with great benefits including health insurance and vacation time. Lots of opportunity for growth. The people who work there are wonderful.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-02-20
  2. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Fullstack Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the culture and life-work balance. Really nice benefits

Cons

Pay may not be as high as other companies

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-05-07
  3. "One of the best employers I have worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

The benefits were unsurpassed: The fitness benefits, the ability to get a stipend for a standing desk for the home office, the health insurance, ability to work remotely without jumping hoops. The list goes on. Unfortunately, I had to leave for family reasons, but if I can do this again, I will stay here.

Cons

Onsite day care pricing was exorbitant, most of the employees did not use it. They had to close the day care at 1 of their locations for this reason. Work/life balance in my group was non-existent, even as other peers in IT had time to go on lunch strolls and leave on time, while we worked around the clock.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-05-04

"Blue Cross is great if you check off all their boxes"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Support Specialist in Quincy, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work life balance Good Benefits Staff is friendly Good Salary

Cons

Company has grown more and more PC and overly diversity focused over the last few years. You will notice a lack of white males on their promotional materials inside and out of the company. If you are a white male, you may want to consider other employment options as you will be passed up for more diverse candidates and made to feel like an outsider. The management is poor. Most come from clinical backgrounds who have no experience managing staff in a business environment. Far too many managers treat BCBSMA as a hospital rather than an insurance company. The company is 75% woman and men are still considered the “elite” or “privileged” class in the company regardless of the reality of their background, struggles or life experiences. The IT CIO is inept resulting is huge turnover in key IT resources since her arrival. Her poor performance, huge turnover/lack of talent retention seems to be ignored since this person checks off many of the diversity boxes BCBSMA looks for. BCBSMA promotes treating people with respect, open dialogue and honestly. These guidelines only apply to lower level people. If you are director level or above these rules do not apply to you as they can treat you however they want without consequences.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-04-27

"Its Animal Farm, only the "Right People" get ahead."

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Quincy, MA

Pros

The benefits, pay and work life balance is great. You also get to work with some really smart people. You can spend your whole time there volunteering for committees, community outreach programs or ERG groups and not have to actually do your job. Think of Jason Schwartzman from the movie Rushmore.

Cons

Leadership is toxic at pretty much all levels, many leaders are very petty and inexperienced. Good leaders are the exception to the rule. Leaders will rarely support their people, so expect to get tossed under the bus a lot. Most promotions are based on who has been there the longest, who would "look" better in the role rather who is qualified for it. There are a large number of committees that serve no other function as to justify someones joke of a job, yet you will have to go to presentations and meetings and clap like a trained seal for them. You will also have to pick up the slack for that person if you work with them, as they spend more time being a "volunteer" than actually doing their job. The IT area is horrible and inept, they recently cancelled a project that cost well over 25 million and 4 plus years in development. Before you apply, look at the pictures and see if you "fit" in to their corporate culture.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-03-31
  6. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hingham, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Onsite cafeteria, community service day, Monday through Friday schedule, and benefits start Day 1.

Cons

None really. Typical call center environment which means management pays a lot of attention to metrics (flex schedule, time on a call, in wrap up, average handle time, etc). Happy I worked in the Hingham office, I heard the Quincy location was brutal and depressing from everyone who transferred over.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-02-20
  7. "Solid Company"

Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

Big solid company with good benefits, great work culture

Cons

IT going been going thru changes for a while

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-01-15
  8. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Quality Assurance Manager in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for less than a year

Pros

great team to work with, fast paced, gratifying to know you're helping an in-need population.

Cons

Starting salary is a bit low for the training and responsibilities we are given.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2020-01-09

"Great company, but turned a blind eye to a major problem"

Former Employee - Director in Quincy, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

It’s one of the best company in MA. Great culture, leaders, and mission.

Cons

The marketing department is a complete mess. It is extremely top heavy. The person leading it is just an awful person. I know many whom worked for this person before will never willingly work for him/her again.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2019-11-23

"Fine if you don't mind living cubicle life"

Current Employee - Quality Coach in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability, good benefits and PTO.

Cons

You are glued to your cubicle and micromanaged every minute of the day. They count the minutes you take to use the bathroom each day.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts2019-12-20