Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts President and CEO Andrew Dreyfus
Andrew Dreyfus

Pros
  • Company is positioning for future marketplace, really embraces work life balance and provide great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Great benefits including those part of the student rotation program (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement unless you are related to someone or buddies with the right people (in 4 reviews)

• For such a great place to intern, there's no direct route to full time opportunities after the summer experience (in 4 reviews)

1. "physician reviewer"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent working environment and coworkers

Cons

distance to commute is 20 miles

2. "Actuarial Analyst II"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits including those part of the student rotation program

Cons

Little room to move up

3. "I've been with BCBS for over 9 years, lots of experiences mostly good"

Current Employee - Processor II in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Processor II in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Put the power in associates hands, lots of empowering programs

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get good chances for new jobs within, without phone experience.

Advice to Management

Give more options to learn more without the use of the phones.

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on our development programs along with the many opportunities for associates to actively manage their career.

5. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

Pros

Great company, great benefits and development opportunities. great people

Cons

advancement within departments; the use of contractors/temp agencies

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for highlighting our amazing company and associates. We are continually striving for improvement.

6. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, community aware, pays well, great benefits

Cons

They don't promote within enough, turn around is big and leaders don't lead well, more self-promotion

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, KEEP employees that actually work hard, promote within.

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for highlighting our benefits and our commitment to the community. We welcome and value feedback as we are continually striving for improvement.

7. "RN case manager"

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

flexible hours and caring people

Cons

micro managed with no aapreciation

8. "Senior Management is Amazing"

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the Management was incredible, the CEO, some of the actual managers- (although a couple not)!

Cons

Definitely someplace that plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Don't take things at face value.

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for your review. We welcome your feedback as we are continually striving for improvement.

"Needs a good shake up"

Former Employee - N/A in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - N/A in Hingham, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts has a great training program that allows people off the street with no insurance experience to learn the products and apply their knowledge in a manner that allows them to excel quickly in a service setting. After putting in your time, you have the knowledge to transition to just about any team. Leader support at the associate level is good, depending on which division you're apart of.

Cons

There's a lot of turnover on service teams and a lot of nepotism in leadership. On several occasions, I witnessed well qualified candidates passed up for promotions or transitions when the other candidate wasn't qualified, but was a friend to the senior manager. Many of the department managers in operations think they don't have time for their associates, so if you ever have a claim deny incorrectly, it's either a manager that "doesn't have time" for a processor, or an associate that has given up and doesn't care, but still has a good production rating.

Advice to Management

The Ends don't justify the means if it's at the expense of good people. There's enough cafeteria chatter that goes around that if you listen, you'd be amazed at the truths your employees will tell you.

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear of your assessment as we are committed to creating a transparent and inclusive environment. We welcome and value feedback from our former ... More

10. "Great company with great management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance; great benefits including company contribution to retirement account, work from home option, commuting expense subsidies, many wellness programs such as cafe in the building, free yoga classes during lunch breaks...

Cons

Some managers are hard to deal with; folks who have worked with the company for long time (obviously due to the pros above) need to catch up their skills...

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for highlighting our many benefits and work life balance. We welcome and value feedback from our associates as we are continually striving for improvement.

11. "Great Benefits including Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Company is positioning for future marketplace, really embraces work life balance and provide great benefits.

Cons

As a non-profit doesn’t sign-off on Federal Student Loan Forgiveness program!

Advice to Management

Consider re-evaluating the Federal Student Loan Forgiveness program as a real benefit while increasing motivation to strengthen retention, especially as competition for employees in the labor market is continuing to expand for high skilled positions.

Mar 17, 2017 – University Relations Specialist

Thank you for such a positive review. We will consider the feedback as we strive to offer benefits that meet all of our associates needs.