Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp
Daniel J. Loepp

Pros
  • A lot of flexibility in work hours and management takes work/life balance seriously (in 22 reviews)

• Good company with great benefits and decent pay (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, opportunities to work from home are extremely limited (in 11 reviews)

• No work from home opportunities at this time (in 9 reviews)

1. "Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time

Pros

Diverse work environment
    Lots of networking group/organizations within the company
    Good benefits package after 90 days

Cons

Training not adequate and the trainers teaching is very confusing.
    Long waiting period before benefits go into effect

Advice to Management

Before offering positions to new CSRs make sure that the training staff has the ability to relay the information to the class without confusion.

2. "Revolving Door - Sketchy Place to Work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Detroit, MI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good physical security, reasonable on-boarding process, free secured parking (albeit a long walk if you are a contractor). Good cafeteria. Location is walking distance to Greektown.

Cons

Large number of short-term contractors. Many just outright quit due to the lunacy of the place, others were brought on and quickly let-go. Many contractors are there for only 2 - 3 months. Very poor management, making unethical or even illegal demands on contractors. HR would not take action against a full-time BCBSMI direct employee who was openly hostile and threatening in meetings, advising contractors who raised concerns that they would be fired over any complaint against a direct hire.

I have never worked for a company where C-level and Directors were under contract, but that is apparently the norm at BCBSMI. Direct managers and supervisors are, well, imagine those who managed to graduate from Detroit high schools, then may or may not have gotten a college degree. Marginal at best. Examples include a newly assigned manager that insisted the contractor staff arrive daily for weeks of 8 AM meetings, but never arrived on time herself. Typically she arrived at 8:30 or later, while we waited for her. Also insisted that we work through lunch time. Poor financial management caused a bloodletting of contractors and direct hire people. This included several who had moved from other states, or had resigned prior employers only to be fired due to being way over budget before their offers were even made.

Cubicals in our area had to be from the early 1980s, and were tiny compared to the cubes and offices provided by other employers. Very crampt conditions. Lots of small flies throughout the building the entire time I was there. Oh - the custodians will not pick up trash - employees have to do that themselves. Very weird place.

Advice to Management

Hire better leadership. Stop using fuzzy math, and asking contractors to put their name on your very questionable figures.

"It's not what it looks like"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

great location downtown for when you can't wait to get a drink after work

Cons

Horrible place to work. Someone needs to do a deep dive analysis of the company's behind the scenes dealings and get a line of sight on the number of high paid VPs and senior VPS the place has. Its tough to keep costs in check for customers who need to buy health care benefits.

Advice to Management

Look at what is really going on if you want true talent to take the company forward.

"IT systems analyst"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Insurance and good benefits. Many activities available to take advantage of if you're workload permits. Company supports a healthy lifestyle for all its employees with many health driven benefits

Cons

Salary is not based on education or experience, driven by whom you know and race. Reverse discrimination at its finest! Corporate initiatives gave privileged salaries to visa card holders creating a salary discrimination of 10-20k difference in pay for same salary grade colleagues that have been with the company for 20+ years.

Advice to Management

Provide consistent, support and training among all employees. Management should load level the work amongst their teams and not avoid giving work to a chosen few because they push back. Overwhelming others to lighten load for others harbors resentment among team members.

"Think twice"

Former Employee - Attorney in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Attorney in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader in the insurance market. Nice benefits. Lots of nice people. Free parking and decent health insurance. Pretty good retirement

Cons

The corporate culture is very adversarial - while they talk about growing talent it is really just a meat grinder. The company does not really want to innovate or be lean. Surprisingly not the best health benefits I have ever had, not a family friendly employer and pretty poor maternity benefits. Definitely not a leader in taking care of its people.

Advice to Management

If there is a lot of turnover maybe the VP and Directors are the problem.

"Will drain you of your soul if you aren't careful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Company dedicated to the rebuild of Detroit

Cons

Very political company, which based on the industry is not surprising. However, politics play at all levels within the company, all the way down to how they select vendors to work with. The CEO and VP of Public Relations both came directly from State of Michigan government, so no surprise.
    Very top heavy organization.
    Health Insurance is a very volatile industry. It has been in published articles that Blue Cross is currently going through a $300 Million administrative cost reduction program, which includes a reduction in jobs.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what advice I have. Management would not listen to it anyway. They always think they are the smartest person in the room.

"Management has no handle on anything"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Health Insurance benefit are very good

Cons

To much pressure from management, no proper plan for project implementations, want projects which take 6 months to be delivered in 1 month, no work from home, even a fulltime employee needs to beg for hours to enter in the timesheet every week, dont have base budget to support fulltime employees...its been a bad experience till now for me and feels like one of the worst decisions I made to accept their offer. They make fulltime employees work over weekends and on top of that they only have 15 PTO

Advice to Management

Please plan and budget for projects in advance and give appropriate time for implementations

"Corporate Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Limited hours, supporting work life balance.

Cons

No collaboration with key counterparts. Inexperienced, inept, and non-inclusive management. Political culture exudes mediocrity. Inability to retain talent.

10. "Nurse Case Manager"

Former Contractor - Nurse Case Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Contractor - Nurse Case Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

There are absolutely no Pros to this company whatsoever. Would never consider recommending anyone I know to ever work here.

Cons

This is one company that has absolutely no respect for nurses. Their Team Leads which are fellow nurses disrespect and maltreat most of their staff unless you're one of the lucky ones who has an "in" with their Team Lead or TL. The Detroit office hires mostly contracted nurses and thus their attitude is clearly reflected as "nurses are a dime a dozen so we can hire and fire whenever we want to." They micro-manage so closely that you're being timed as to how long you're even using the bathroom! They have no clue as to how to deal with staff on a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL. They throw around the phrase "you want to go Blue, don't you?" as they entice you one second and chastise you the next for the stupidest things.

The leadership is God awful and you know from an instant that issues faced with this company are kept as a secret from upper management or upper management just doesn't care because with the amount of turnover witnessed in their Care Management Dept. in the 9 short months I worked there, its impossible to get an educated person such as myself to believe that they just can't see it happening.

The Blues always had an amazing reputation for some reason and I thought I made a great decision by taking a contracted position with them. However, I seriously beg to differ. I can say this for sure, I do not care if the Blues offers the very last nursing position left on this earth, I would rather shovel horse dung in 120 degree weather for FREE for the rest of my life than ever even consider working for the Blues ever again!

Advice to Management

Overhaul your leadership, get rid of your terrible corporate mentality and start all over again from scratch and respect and pay the people who work for you fairly. And stop treating professional people as though the are worth less than the crap on the bottoms of your shoes!!!

"Enormous disconnect between their supposed values and the culture they live by"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

If you're in the right department you'll find some great people to work with. There are opportunities to learn a great deal about a rapidly growing and changing industry. Health benefits are generous.

Cons

Their payroll is not reliable. We were not paid on time this week and the response from corporate was both delayed and dismissive. In some departments, they treat contractors - even though who have worked there for years and are in vital roles - as subhuman compared to those with prized blue badges. When I say "subhuman," I mean that they can be praised one day and shown the door the next without being given a reason as to why. If you come in as a contractor, do not expect to be treated any differently.

More often than not, mediocrity is rewarded and those who think critically about their roles and ask questions are reprimanded, demoted, and even fired. HR does not follow up on complaints about out-of-line behavior. If you're looking for a job where you can get by doing the bare minimum and point fingers at others if you're questioned about your work ethic, this is the place for you. If you really want a job where you can grow and challenge yourself, stay far away from BCBSM.

Advice to Management

If you expect to stay on top in this industry, you have to change the corporate culture. Make this a company that is desirable not just for those who have been there for 20 years, but for the motivated Millennials who are prepared to do great work for you. Otherwise, we will continue to take our talents elsewhere.