Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp
Daniel J. Loepp

Pros
  • A lot of flexibility in work hours and management takes work/life balance seriously (in 22 reviews)

• Good company with great benefits and decent pay (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, opportunities to work from home are extremely limited (in 11 reviews)

• No work from home opportunities at this time (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Communications specialist writer"

Current Employee - Corporate Communications Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate Communications Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love my job. I am fortunate enough to be in the mix with a great team of many professionals who are passionate about their work. A lot of flexibility in work hours and management takes work/life balance seriously. Benefits are awesome and there are a lot of opportunities to learn, serve the local community and get fit.

Cons

The only downside for me is the commute.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review! We hope you've been able to register for the professional development seminars and volunteer opportunities. You might like Bowl for Kids’ Sake at the end of April. Bowl for ... More

2. "Senior Case Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Case Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Case Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with people, helping and educating them. Many of us don't know how to get in contact with the services that services that are available to them. We all need help at one point in our lives and we want someone to take our hand and guide us to the right direction. When our health is not at par at that moment we need someone that we can trust to help us.

Cons

Actually there is not down falls, we just need to improve on things that don't seem to work. There is always room to adjust and grow for better way of doing things

Advice to Management

Keep everything human level. We are helping others when they are down, fragile and vulnerable.

"I expected different from a corporation this size"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as fitness reimbursement, tuition prepayment, Health blue living rewards, affordable health care, there is plenty of oppurtunties for growth especially in the medicare advantage area.

Cons

There is a pay gap between the men and women. There is a pay gap between African american employees versus White employees. I.E. White person has lower job grade will make more than Black person with higher job grade. Promotional opportunities based on favor rather than skills and qualifications. In the MA service center I 've known leadership to make exceptions for white people who have no college degrees to receive promotion with the condition that they go back to school but for the black counterparts they are denied the opportunities until they finish the degree.Process improvements need to better, need better quality programs in place, MA servicing and MA operations Leadership is reactive. Lastly leadership is not forthcoming with employees.

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A successful company that knows how to take care of its employees. BCBSM promotes the continued education and career development of their employees, great diversity in the workforce, employee health, and employing veterans, among many other good things. Great building in a good location.

Cons

Not much to say here. Pay for legal team is slightly below market, but most jobs come with extremely fair compensation and good benefits (healthcare benefits are obviously good). Not much to complain about in my 2 years at BCBSM.

6. "Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan"

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time

Pros

The people, in general, are friendly and there are various workplace groups to affiliate with.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy sullies the experience.

Advice to Management

Really embrace the principles you extol as contributing to a dynamic workplace.

"Good culture, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, great benefits, wellness initiatives, diversity

Cons

cost cutting efforts are often aimed at lower ranks; executive salaries, perks, etc. seem top heavy

8. "Great job with great benifits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time

Pros

Provides job security along with great pay and schedules.

Cons

There are no cons working at bcbsm.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Senior Health Care Analyst"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location and I work for a great department. I would say if you are interviewing, select your department wisely.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, political pressures both nationally and within the organization can create some chaos in our vision

10. "Blue Cross is a great laid back place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst Associate in Detroit, MI

Pros

Great benefits, easy going workplace, easy to move up and to find your perfect fit. BCBSM also pays for school wether it be undergrad, graduate, or certain trainings.

Cons

There is a very corporate old school feel even though the company values are far from it. Offices are grey and bland, and the bureaucracy can be a tad bit too much.

May 3, 2017 – HR

Thanks for the review! BCBSM has a great tuition assistance program! The program supports employees attending nationally accredited educational institutions. Have you looked into joining an ... More

11. "Good Company"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time

Pros

Pay is decent
    Benefits are awesome

Cons

Culture is based on nepotism

Advice to Management

Merit based promotion

May 3, 2017 – HR

Thanks for your review! The benefits are awesome: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life insurance, Pension, 401(k), Tuition Assistance, Corporate discounts. But the culture of BCBSM is one that promotes ... More