Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of flexibility in work hours and management takes work/life balance seriously (in 23 reviews)

• Good company with great benefits and decent pay (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, opportunities to work from home are extremely limited (in 11 reviews)

• Some areas can work from home while others cannot (in 10 reviews)

1. "Very happy. Intend to retire from here in 12-15 years"

Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and good upper management
    Company seems genuinely concerned with employee well-being
    Great benefits include good 401k match and pension(!)
    Decent work life balance

Cons

Can be a little stodgy but that is changing
    Trying very hArd to be a more dynamic organization to keep up with constant changes in industry

2. "Health Care Analyst"

Current Employee - Health Care Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Health Care Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I learned a lot of skills and acquired great experience plus life-long friendships. .

Cons

Desired to develop more in other areas ecpecially management but was not given the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Consider candidates with great character plus strong technical, communication and leadership skills.

3. "GREAT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Actuarial Intern
    Current Employee - Actuarial Intern

Pros

GREAT company all around. Work environment is amazing and the people are very nice and professional. I pray to get hired in full time

Cons

There are no cons at all

4. "Senior Case Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Case Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Case Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with people, helping and educating them. Many of us don't know how to get in contact with the services that services that are available to them. We all need help at one point in our lives and we want someone to take our hand and guide us to the right direction. When our health is not at par at that moment we need someone that we can trust to help us.

Cons

Actually there is not down falls, we just need to improve on things that don't seem to work. There is always room to adjust and grow for better way of doing things

Advice to Management

Keep everything human level. We are helping others when they are down, fragile and vulnerable.

"Good culture, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, great benefits, wellness initiatives, diversity

Cons

cost cutting efforts are often aimed at lower ranks; executive salaries, perks, etc. seem top heavy

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A successful company that knows how to take care of its employees. BCBSM promotes the continued education and career development of their employees, great diversity in the workforce, employee health, and employing veterans, among many other good things. Great building in a good location.

Cons

Not much to say here. Pay for legal team is slightly below market, but most jobs come with extremely fair compensation and good benefits (healthcare benefits are obviously good). Not much to complain about in my 2 years at BCBSM.

"I expected different from a corporation this size"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as fitness reimbursement, tuition prepayment, Health blue living rewards, affordable health care, there is plenty of oppurtunties for growth especially in the medicare advantage area.

Cons

There is a pay gap between the men and women. There is a pay gap between African american employees versus White employees. I.E. White person has lower job grade will make more than Black person with higher job grade. Promotional opportunities based on favor rather than skills and qualifications. In the MA service center I 've known leadership to make exceptions for white people who have no college degrees to receive promotion with the condition that they go back to school but for the black counterparts they are denied the opportunities until they finish the degree.Process improvements need to better, need better quality programs in place, MA servicing and MA operations Leadership is reactive. Lastly leadership is not forthcoming with employees.

8. "Great job with great benifits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time

Pros

Provides job security along with great pay and schedules.

Cons

There are no cons working at bcbsm.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan"

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time

Pros

The people, in general, are friendly and there are various workplace groups to affiliate with.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy sullies the experience.

Advice to Management

Really embrace the principles you extol as contributing to a dynamic workplace.

10. "Senior Health Care Analyst"

Pros

Great location and I work for a great department. I would say if you are interviewing, select your department wisely.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, political pressures both nationally and within the organization can create some chaos in our vision