Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2020

3.2
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota President  and CEO Craig Samitt (no image)
Craig Samitt
Pros
Cons
  • "They are behind the times in the digital experience so they are trying sloppy and expensive ways to catch up(in 6 reviews)

• "High employee turnover due to micro management and high audit standards(in 5 reviews)

1. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Virginia, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic leadership, great pay and benefits, they truly care about their employees

Cons

When it comes to the phones, sometimes you're "voluntold" to take additional lines of business and can feel overwhelming. It can also be troublesome having to give unhappy news to our members from time to time.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-03-26
  2. "CEO is trying"

Current Employee - Compliance in Eagan, MN

Pros

The CEO is trying to change the culture. There are a lot of positive changes. Benefits are good.

Cons

There are a lot of seasoned employees that are stuck in their ways. Extremely hard to advance in the organization. They pay for your continued education but getting a promotion is near impossible.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-04-30
  3. "Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Healthcare Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, work life balance

Cons

none, compensation not really competitive

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-03-11
  4. "Good work culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Generous time off Paid maternal/paternal leave

Cons

Very busy during certain times

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-02-18
  5. "Culture is Different Department by Department"

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time

Pros

Great Benefits; Decent PTO; Additional Volunteer Paid Time Off

Cons

The department I was in was very toxic compared to others. It seemed like direct leadership worked against you and they took credit for some of my ideas. Plus, the direct leadership I had would talk about my private matters discussed in 1:1's to other co-workers. Like I said... I just happened to be in a toxic department and cannot speak for the many other departments. I don't understand how senior management still can't see what was going on.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-03-02
  6. "Solid company- getting better"

4.0

Pros

As others have said, the benefits are great, plus a great work life balance. From my experience, people are generally professional and positive. There's a good culture within the departments I work with, but since it's such a large company, I can only really speak for my own area.

Cons

Overall, there were a couple of poor structural decisions made in the recent history. We're still recovering from it, and there has been good effort among leadership to actually solve those issues, which is refreshing. Also, it kind of seems like the company is stretched too thin with a bunch of initiatives it wants to push through. On the one hand, you need to have lofty goals in order to reach them, but on the other hand, you need realistic expectations as well. At the moment, there seems to be a good balance between the two, but it is a fine line.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-02-08
  7. "Loved my job here!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely beneficial training and overall knowledge of important aspects of everyone’s life. The training was long and a lot of information to take in but was extremely thorough and directed perfectly.

Cons

A lot of systems to learn, some of which don’t always work.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-02-03

"Out of touch leadership"

2.0
    Current Employee - Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits in comparison to other companies is actually pretty decent. Many departments offer a work from home option either part time or full time.

Cons

The executive leadership is extremely out of touch with anyone who doesn't report directly to them. The company has a trend that if they can find any company to handle a task, they'll outsource your department in a heartbeat. Incompetent leadership has caused numerous terrible decision including outsourcing to companies that mishandle important pieces of business. The CEO is just as out of touch as all he does is tells people how we're going to be in the future and has no solid plan of how to get there. Executives who have no idea about the daily operations of a department, will make huge cuts to staffing and work falls behind blame the department and ask what the department will do to fix it. If you're anyone below management level, doesn't expect to be respected. Expect to have them constantly add more work on to you, without fair compensation, and you having to sacrifice your personal life. In 2019, they rolled out "summer hours" which was if you had completed all your work for the week, and you were salaried you could take half days on Fridays, which was a complete slap in the face to half the company that is hourly, things like this being common as management and execs like to pat themselves on the back and pretend they're doing a good job.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-01-19

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Consumer Service Center in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

low cost employee benefits, low cost dependent and family benefits, great work environment, updated facilities, approachable executive leadership,

Cons

some outdated systems, weak low-mid level leadership, some long-term staff are unable to cope with change

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2019-12-27

"What a Mess"

1.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for less than a year

Pros

- "Dress for your day" allows the dress code to be casual unless meeting with a client warrants business professional - Cheap medical insurance premiums for great coverage -Excellent 401k match (if you can hold on for 2 years to get it)

Cons

-Micromanagement: We are expected to report what we do every day into an online tool, down to 30 minute increments - Rampant downsizing and people leaving the company, there isn't a day that goes by where something we need "used to be handled by..." a person who has left the company either voluntarily or involuntarily - Focus on getting the numbers to look good rather than doing what is best for their employees (which is what brought on the micromanagement tool). - Lack of trust in employees making decisions, there have to be multiple levels of approval which makes any movement slow - Disconnect between the company's stated values and their practice in the company. - If a person leaves their position, they remain responsible for the role until it is back filled. My trainer was doing two jobs for several months, first when the role was posted, and then when I was learning the role.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota2020-02-01