Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Guyette

Pros
Cons
  • They are changing rapidly due to the health care and health insurance regulations changing (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management/company direction seemed to be in disarray and reaction was chaotic (in 4 reviews)

1. "Company cut my department"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time

Pros

Some positions offer ability to work from home, competitive salary, great benefits

Cons

Heavy work load, just laid off/vendored out whole mental health department, only growth opportunities are outside of clinical practice

Advice to Management

Understand the work your employees do

2. "Application delivery lead sr."

Current Employee - Applications Delivery Lead Senior in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Applications Delivery Lead Senior in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Generous bonuses, a pension plan, and ability to work from home, depending on manager. Great open campus in suburbs.

Cons

They are in the process of moving all of our computer systems to another blue. Will be laying off 90% off IT in the next four years.

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair to all. When there are open positions, encourage management to fill with those who may be displaced before looming outside company

"Sr. Digital Marketing review"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Strategist in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Strategist in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company, big business. Work in the private and government sector. Helping people live better and more healthy lives. Friendly work environment. Has a solid budget in place for marketing.

Cons

The environment is too friendly, Minnesota nice, a bit passive aggressive if you ask me. Business structure has the marketing department overseen by the Sales department. This creates a void in actionable and consistent direction. If nothing less, and great sales leaders do, they keep moving up, which means every 18 months there is a shift in the ideology behind the marketing department and its initiatives.

Advice to Management

Build out the digital marketing department, staff and budget accordingly. Keep the community activations going, and look at adding an additional pro sports partnership. Live Fearless campaign has been falling flat lately, I would leave the ad consortium and look at a new creative agency.

"Senior Case Manager"

Pros

Good benefit package, especially the health insurance, nice campus and facilities, nice work hours/schedule, option to telecommute.

Cons

Very structured work environment, inflexible and impersonal culture, did not seem to value innovation and creativity, micro-management.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, be open to new ideas.

"Business Consultant"

Former Employee - MN - Minnesota in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - MN - Minnesota in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked the job tasks and accountabilities. I liked my fellow employees, and I liked how I was allowed flexible work hours

Cons

Employees recommendations weren't treated as valuable. Upper management/company direction seemed to be in disarray and reaction was chaotic

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees. Be and act confident in the direction of the company...or maybe ask more questions from your leadership instead of being a 'yes' person

"Ran like a family business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are comfortable with the status quo

Cons

It feels like an out of date company

Advice to Management

Consider updating and offering more professional development

"Great benefits, terrible schedules"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, would be hard to ever leave because of the benefits! Decent pay, for the job. Bonuses offered throughout the year in CSR. Great supervisors (At least mine are) Tons of training in the beginning and on-going. Potential for raises based on work ethic.

Cons

Hours are terrible. The only set schedule offered is 11:30-8 or you take a flex shift which is alternating each week between the start times of 7 and 11:30. Makes it difficult if you have kids/daycare. "Slow season" is SLOW. Probably 10 phone calls per day compared to 60 during busy months. Yet management does not allow any other work to be done while on the phones. Hard to move out of CSR, applied for a few jobs in my degree and no interviews offered…

Advice to Management

Offer other set schedules besides 11:30-8, its not reasonable for those with a family. Offer more flexibility for time off the phones to manage difficult pieces/calls or pursue other type of work during the slow months. Many of us have tons to offer the company, and sitting on the phones for 8 hours doing nothing is losing the company money and the employee from gaining additional experience!

"Health Coach"

Current Employee - Health Coach in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Health Coach in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Flexibility, and can accumulate pto. Some good managers.

Cons

Ongoing changes, not stable lately.

Advice to Management

Stabilize, value employees, numbers is part of it but not everything.

"Learning Experience"

Former Employee - IT Security Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - IT Security Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, I really miss my time with my coworkers there.
    I learned a lot from both them and the technology that I worked on.

Cons

Management direction is both unclear, and changes a lot.
    While my starting salary was adequate, advancement was slow, promotions were hard to come by even after demonstrating more than adequate ability.

11. "In a Precarious time"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota as an intern

Pros

Realized what changes needed to be made across the company and were attempting to shift as growing. The company was very focused on its employees and making sure they connected and were involved with the culture and what they did.

Cons

Lot of old growth, lots of people who'd stayed there perhaps too long and were ossified. Those attempting to encourage growth met resistance initially, but enough people were there so that I believe the company will prosper.