Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "DME Medical Review Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule after 90 days of probation, great incentives, nice gym and group fitness classes offered throughout the day.

Cons

communication between teams was lacking, space work spaces, not many promotional opportunities.

Advice to Management

better people and communication skills.

2. "Health Benefits Consultant"

Former Employee - Health Benefits Consultant in Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Health Benefits Consultant in Williston, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company and co-workers! The only reason for leaving was there was no housing in ND and living in an RV man camp in Williston was horrible. My manager, Marlys was AWESOME!!

Cons

At the time, Williston, ND was having a serious housing crisis, you could not afford an apartment and the only place to live was in our RV in a man camp-HORRIBLE!Can't really think of any except they are incredibly busy! And incredibly busy is a good thing.

Advice to Management

None-they are doing things right.

3. "not employee centered"

Former Employee - Medical Review Specialist in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Medical Review Specialist in Fargo, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flex schedule, alot of pto a yr, can purchase additional pto each yr

Cons

hold disabilities against you, do not work with u to help overcome disabilities, does not care about employees just the bottom line

Advice to Management

care more about people and less about bottom line

5. "Laid Back Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, decent pay with ok benefits. I enjoy working with the people there and my boss is pretty nice too. They're understanding and willing to help out someone new.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Some of the upper management don't seem to want to move forward to newer things. No bonuses or any type of incentives.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees, especially the ones that have been there and put time in. I see people leave because they aren't given what they're owed.

"Micro managment will kill this company"

Current Employee - Entry Level in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Entry Level in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time

Pros

benefits are good, teams are wonderful people. If you are hired on as IT, you will be able tell managment information about servers and coding, as correct as keeping your blinker fluid full so your high beams stay bright, and be believed because IT says so.

Cons

In house software is a joke. They often release software/websites to be used that are still so glitchy that they should be in still in beta testing. Policy is only followed when they want to remove employees. Then change policy again once they have terminated employee that is pointing out issue that goes against CMS . Moving up in the company only happens with joining the inner "click" This is starting to show as management stops acting as leaders but uses micromanagement to make it look as if they are attempting to get work accomplished.

If employee does manage to move up from their entry position, the increase in pay is not seen on the net of their paycheck, as the benefits they had prior now will cost them more.

Advice to Management

stop the micromanagement
    start charging the IT dept for down time caused by system issues
    Start holding the department writing your websites and software accountable for the delays and glitches

When employees bring to your attention that there are issue going against CMS, do not penalize the employee. If that one employee has brought one issue to your attention, think of how many you are missing. Just because you have a department that has a duty to keep up with these types of issues does not mean you do not have to take notice.

Follow the Core Values Noridian claims they FYI they are
    Constant Innovation
    Service Excellence
    Responsible Stewardship
    Effective Collaboration
    Integrity

Stop treating them like a joke, or the last laugh may be on you

implement the LEAN and Six Sigma tools you keep telling CMS that you are doing
    have courses on sexual harassment, or if we need to take it down to the elementary school level, bullying. For some reason it is allowed there

Stop thinking that your entry level employees are privileged to work there. It costs you 30 grand or more to train them to be proficient at their job.

Start using management as leaders. When I started there years ago, I was very proud of the supervisors and upper management there. They led by example. Today, they act afraid for their jobs. They act the only way to keep their job is put fear into those beneath them. That is so dangerous for a company. Once you have made you base workforce tremble in fear, that base is no longer stable

7. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fargo, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

10 hours of PTO on the 1st of the month.

Cons

Don't ever have life problems. My son was diagnosed with Autism while I was working there and they were very UNWILLING to work with his Therapy needs. Short time later I ended up with Corneal Ulcers and they fired me! Terrible place to work. My aunt and cousin still work there but hate it!

Advice to Management

Management acts like a bunch of frat boys!! They hit on women constantly and act inappropriate. Don't waste your time with this place. They are a joke.

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Fargo, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits but they keep reducing them for new employees. Countless opportunities to learn new systems.

Cons

Pay is low for the IT industry. Middle management takes micro management to the extreme. Only favors those that ingratiate themselves to uppers. Hard work is not rewarded.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and grow a pair. Promote a culture that forgives management mistakes so management can have integrity.

9. "Advancement and Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (Less than a year)

Pros

BCBSND has prided itself on being one of the best Employers of Choice in the Fargo Moorhead area and beyond. BCBSND strives to value it's employees and gives them opportunities to advance their careers through a variety of different positions available. BCBSND offers competetive salaries and benefits to all employees and is one of the most flexible employers I've worked for when it comes to work/life balance.

Cons

I would encourage to continue to advance the communication strategies internally and externally.

Advice to Management

Continue to give opportunities to grow current staff and focus on retention of top talent.

10. "Very disjointed, work environment was somewhat tense and not overly functional."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were a good group. Co-workers shared a lot of relevant information and generally worked well together.

Cons

The way that work was distributed caused work environment to be one that was competitive to a degree that should not have been necessary. Teamwork was largely lacking due to divisiveness within the overall corporate structure.

Advice to Management

Management was seemingly out of touch with the day to day operations and did not take employee concerns seriously. Talked the talk but did not walk the walk.

"Worst Job I ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had some really great co-workers and met a lot of people who wanted to do a good job.
    I know long standing employees were paid very well and had some excellent retirement benefits.

Cons

Management was horrific. My boss blatantly made it obvious that employees were not valued and were interchangeable parts in her mind.
    It was virtually possible to get anything accomplished. No one would take ownership or responsibility for something. This caused something to take 4 times longer than normal. Then your boss would just tell you they would have done it differently.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter. No one would listen anyways