Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.4
Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association President and CEO Scott P. Serota
Scott P. Serota

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The best part about this company was the family environment and work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• The company offered good benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is terrible and do not follow vision of Senior Management (in 11 reviews)

• Salary not competitiv, hard to move into different teams unless you have years experience (in 5 reviews)

1. "Solid Job"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is great

People are amazing who work there. Makes going to work easy

Benefits are good

Cons

Work culture is a little older and they could create a better atmosphere for a younger generation and to help keep things fresh and creative. They are working on this though.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent work/life balance in my role specifically, reputable company

Cons

Very corporate structure. I was told by many people when I started that everyone cares about titles - it's very true. A lot of colleagues thought they were above others because they held a higher title. Job can be stressful for no reason; management makes mountains out of molehills. HR was not helpful at all when it came to employee relations.

Advice to Management

Build your employees up and focus on the great things they are doing. Management seemed very negative often. There should be a work from home policy throughout the organization. I was told when I started that the team had that ability, and that wasn't really the case. There were a lot of strings attached.

"Senior Business Consultant Review"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, variety of projects, supportive co-workers, opportunities for longevity, free training

Cons

Managers that are not good at coaching and developing staff

Advice to Management

Create roadmap for professional advancement

4. "Great environment, much opportunity."

Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and work for, never ending list of projects. Very influential company at the forefront of US healthcare.

Cons

Budget cycle occupies 10 months of the year, definitely has a "big company" feel. Way too much in terms of unnecessary middle-management layers and functions.

"Dinosaur in modern era"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family-like atmosphere, casual/ laid-back attire and culture, tons of PTO (half days, dr visits, volunteer days), remote options depending on manager, share some info at divisional meetings. Some areas have great crows-functional relationships.

Cons

Employees (including management) take advantage of all the options available for PTO, especially the tenured employees. It feels like a state job where things get done as slowly as possible because they can, and where knowledge is hoarded rather than documents and shared. Process automation is shunned and new applications are sin. Innovation is heavily encouraged by sr leaders but constantly shut down by management.

Growth/advancement is slow and regulated by time. 2-3 years per level.

Teams are segregated unless you work in a project management capacity.

Advice to Management

Automate processes, update technology, align your goals with middle management (innovation) so ideas are heard, create growth opportunities or revise the multi-year policy for promotion. Promote more inter-group activities

"I didn't sync with my manager"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher management team is very supportive and encourages you.

Cons

I used to get work from my direct manager and also his manager. They both are not in sync and they both expects two different results. I try to get them understand this but they are 15+ and 20+ years in the organization and shows me as they are in good rapport. Very stressful environment and long days. Need to be available 24*7 if any emergencies.

Advice to Management

Advice to the employees, choose your manager not your employer. Higher Management at BCBSA is very nice but my manager is ahhhh...

"Case manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment and exceptional co-workers.

Cons

No cons at this time.

"It's dying a slow death"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good life work balance; central downtown location; flexibility in time; recognized brand

Cons

Top down senior management approach that leads to fear, intimidation and attrition

Advice to Management

Open your eyes

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good breadth of experience, good pay

Cons

Old school managers reluctant to change. Lot of say one thing but do another. Need to work on employee retention. The good hires all leave because they see the inept that runs throughout the organization

Advice to Management

Look to cultivate your hires instead of putting them down the basic track you had to when you were younger.

10. "4 stars"

Current Employee - Consultant in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is Downtown
    Diverse work force

Cons

Not tech savvy
    old building
    some managers needs people management training