Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Terry D. Kellogg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance as well as great benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Good company to work for with great benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service department is the worst place to be in the company (in 6 reviews)

• No cons other than what everyone has to deal with that works in health insurance these days (in 5 reviews)

"customer service representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, awesome insurance, tuition reimbursement

Cons

micromanagement, favoritism from a lot of managers

Advice to Management

less favoritism, more opportunities for recognition for hard working employees not just favorites

2. "Compensation Analyst"

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time

Pros

Great company to work for with outstanding benefits and incentives. My manager excelled in giving me opportunities to work on projects with high exposure to upper management and executives. The compensation was generous and the total benefits package was amazing.

Cons

No cons other than what everyone has to deal with that works in health insurance these days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great Benefits, Slow ladder climb"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company has some of the best benefits around as far as retirement, pension, 401k, health insurance, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Things get taken away or shifted around often. When I first started out I was looking at retiring in 25 years, then they changed how that worked and it moved up to 32, then it changed again and I would have been there 42 years before I could retire.

It's also hard to move up the ladder within the company unless you have a degree. A lot of higher job positions require a degree... It doesn't matter what your degree is in, they just want to know you paid a lot of money for a piece of paper.

4. "Inquiry Analyst"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, flexible hours, work from home availability after a certain time and when certain requirements are met, bonuses for just doing what you should be doing, great health/dental benefits, and compensation is accurate for this position.

Cons

No cons to report, love working here, the atmosphere, and the people have all been amazing. I can't wait to see how my career further develops with the company.

Advice to Management

Working here for several years with several managers and I have no advice to report. Everything has been great and no issues have been shown.

5. "Great company, has changed over the years. Pay is too low."

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time

Pros

Most managers are great.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement for WFHM employees

Advice to Management

pay attention to what other managers are doing. You are probably pulling twice your weight because they are not. Also, review compensation. Chances are your long time employees are making far less than the new hires.

"Overall good, but culture needs work"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Above average compensation
    - Professional environment
    - Growth & promotional opportunities

Cons

- Very political culture
    - Struggling communication
    - Lack of team trust
    - Poor approach to performance evalutions
    - Instability in the Insurance industry
    - Reactionary approach to problem solving

Advice to Management

There is a big opportunity for improvement when it comes to fostering a healthy team environment. Everyone is very polite to each other, but there was a lack of trust among most employees. Also, I would encourage management to focus more on people's strengths, rather than their weaknesses.

7. "Great place for a career and slow progressive growth."

Former Employee - Specialist in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Specialist in Hoover, AL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, fantastic benefits, workout center, cafeteria with great food that is very affordable.

Cons

Starting pay is low and it takes a long service time to reach a reasonable salary level.

Advice to Management

There are savings to be realized by investing more in your people in the form of salary. The perks are nice, but they don't buy groceries.

"Okay place to work for the money"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time

Pros

- bi-weekly bonuses as long as we met our goals

- flex time : get to work between 6 am and 10am and leave after working 7.5 hours without a lunch; add lunch into that time if you take it

- managers sat in outer aisles, so easily accessible

-possibility of working from home

-everyone got a bonus right before Thanksgiving

-pay was decent and possibility of promotion was pretty good if you were a hard worker and impressed the right people

-free money: If you work hard and at a good pace with great accuracy, you could be placed on special projects. I enjoyed the managers I had that would slip me an extra check on my desk and a thank you card. I felt appreciated, like my work did matter, which motivated me to do more.

-Less expensive insurance

Cons

-a lot of the family events sponsored by the company were ended and it seemed like managers and execs did not care about the people working the claims anymore

-too goal driven: this can be stressful

-When I was there, the training set up was terrible. I would have rather trained my own team as the process they had in place set people up to lose their jobs. I was trained for about 5-6 months and 18 weeks to be able to reach the benchmark/goal they set for my position. It is fast paced, so it is not for everyone.

- interview process for internal employees - They interview you as if you came off the street and were not just sitting across the aisle from these same managers. No need for this to be such a rigid process if I already passed the test to at least be employed there.

-Pay is decent like I said but it's not the best and could be better. It would have been nice to have a company funded HRA each year with around $1500 to $2000 to start. A lot of employees had kids with allergies or other illnesses and spent a lot of money out of pocket. Hurts to come to a job where you are giving them back most of their money. I feel like employees at an insurance company should have much better coverage.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are people, not machines. They have emotions and families and if you care about them, show them. Happy employees will do more work without you needed to watch over them and watch their "numbers" so closely.

9. "programmer"

Current Employee - Programmer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Programmer in Birmingham, AL

Pros

good money and lot of work

Cons

worst teams and managers and office politics for positions

10. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competative pay, great benefits, work life balance

Cons

Formal dress code for certain departments, office politics