Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana President and CEO Steven Udvarhelyi
Steven Udvarhelyi

Pros
  • This company offers great benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Flexibility, Access to Technology, Work life balance, Confidentiality, Employees are treated fairly and not looked at as a number (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • People are "given" positions they are not qualified for leaving no room for people who are actually qualified (in 3 reviews)

• Career growth is limited depending your department (in 2 reviews)

1. "Takes care of their employees"

Current Employee - Network Systems and Data Communications Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana full-time

Pros

Annual Bonus, Good health insurance, PTO, vacation, 401K

Cons

No more salad subsudies

2. "Great Company and Wonderful People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana is a great company who really cares about their employees and their customers.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

N/A

"BCBSLA - Think Twice!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented company with deep Louisiana roots.

Cons

Departments work in silos. Employees have no one to go to for harassment and retaliation. The Company spends money and training for harassment and retaliation but it's just "talk". In reality, employees have no voice.

Advice to Management

Allow all employees the opportunity for work life balance; don't just say your company promotes work life balance when in reality its cherry picking on who actually gets this benefit.

5. "Good plan in BR to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Business Analyst in Greenwell Springs, LA
    Current Employee - Corporate Business Analyst in Greenwell Springs, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and good people.

Cons

No career development or plans for current employees.

6. "Account Advisor"

Current Employee - Account Advisor in West Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Account Advisor in West Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company, company paid medical for employees, free parking,

Cons

depending on who you are, if you resign they refuse to re-hire you, even if you have all the qualifications for the position you're applying for.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism, treat ALL employees the same

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits, great co-workers. I had a wonderful boss and was blessed to work at such a great company.

Cons

Sometimes sharing information with other departments could get be challenging

"Finance Department is awful"

Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

They provide free health care for employees (for now...)

Cons

First of all, the company description is misleading. While it may bring in millions in revenue, they fail to mention the bottom line, which is at a tremendous loss! (I work in Finance so I've seen the numbers myself!) The new CEO is desperately trying to save this sinking ship. He's moving people around, re-organizing the structure and combining departments and forcing people who ran the departments to resign or take a demotion. It's not his fault, that's why they hired him.

A few years back, the Company was doing great financially! Fun fact about health insurance companies...the ACA put in laws that prevent health insurance companies from making "too much money". In other words, if they collect premiums and then they end up not paying out as much in claims, they are required to pay the excess back to the policyholders. However, in addition to premiums being used to fund claims, it's also used to cover expenses (including salaries and bonuses) to keep the company in operation. Over the past couple of years, they've continuously raised their premium rates. Towards the end of the year, they realized they were going to end up making too much money and have to pay back premiums to policy holders. Yet, instead of giving the rebates, they started spending like crazy on office expenses and gave high bonuses to avoid having to give the policy holders back any of their hard earned money. This action was selfish, dirty, borderline unethical, and just bad business. Now...let's just call it Karma.

The managers have too much power and get away with anything. I've seen them mistreat, even harass employees, so they can get them to quit. The company has a great compliance department set up. They tell people to report mistreatment, unethical behavior, and any other violations of our code of conduct. While that's tempting, I know better and I keep my mouth shut. I've seen what happens to people who file complaints....good people...top performers. Management orchestrates scenarios so they can give bad performance ratings, and even terminate the employees! And the worst part about it is that HR goes right along with it! They are supposed to be there for us!

Moral of the story: If you're interested in a finance position, look somewhere else!

Advice to Management

(Directed at the management over the Finance department) Wake up! You're employees are miserable!

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Response

Aug 8, 2016 – Digital Experience Team lead

At BCBSLA, we believe that seeking and giving feedback is how we continually reinforce a culture of accountability. We will take this information into consideration as we continue to improve.

9. "Excellent teamwork, great work atmosphere!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is one of the best jobs I've ever had. The learning opportunities are great as are opportunities for advancement. Employees are treated very well and receive and excellent benefits package.

Cons

I don't really have any cons about working here. It's hard work and it gets really busy and hectic at times, but that the nature of the beast.

Advice to Management

Best management teams I've ever worked for! They genuinely care about and listen to heir employees.

10. "Great opportunity"

Current Employee - FEP ACCOUNT ADVISOR in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - FEP ACCOUNT ADVISOR in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Great job for opportunity to move around throughout the company. You just have to get your foot in the door.

Cons

The cons depend on the position you have in the company, in the call center you are very limited to opportunities & freedom. It's as if you're back in grade school.

Advice to Management

Allow for more hours of operation to adjust to employees lifestyles!

11. "Great company"

Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Great company, competitive pay, easy to advance in the company, yearly bonuses, awesome Christmas parties (that's always a plus) friendly environment!

Cons

they are usually struck about giving overtime to certain areas. If you can't get your work done by Friday or if your behind its hard to get caught up. Especially in claims department!

Advice to Management

Communicate with the employees and ask how everything is going. Offer a helping hand if you see work piled up on a desk!