Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Reviews in Flowood, MS | Glassdoor

Carol Pigott

"Layers of Disfunction"

Current Employee - IT Worker in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - IT Worker in Flowood, MS

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An hour a week for workouts. Decent, healthy food on site. Good pay for Mississippi. Nice people.

Cons

If you read a lot of the other reviews you’ll see a lot of similar themes but I’ll try to add my 2 cents.

If you’re looking for a long-term career home or somewhere where you can feel passionate about the work you do... this probably isn’t the place. If you’re looking for a stepping stone to the career you want elsewhere… you can survive here for a year or two. Don’t expect any career development and IT management doesn’t care about their employees, but a lot of people stay because the money is decent for Mississippi.

If you are used to a company that understands modern software development you are in for a rude awakening. There is no product backlog or any kind of planning shared with the employees. Most projects have little or no documentation, communication with the business area is strongly discouraged, and the tech stack in outdated, undocumented and there is mountains of technical debt. It’s amazing that a lot of the applications even work at all. Every deployment is a roll of the dice.

All projects have the same due date, “yesterday” and they all have the same priority “emergency”. You get used to it after a while but it’s annoying when you have to stay late to work on whatever the day’s latest emergency project is. It’s hard to take things seriously when due dates get changed, moved, removed and then suddenly appear again, pretty much at random. Whole projects suddenly disappear without warning but you know at some point they’ll pop up again, maybe six months later and needed to be finished “yesterday”. Resources will get moved off a project to the day’s latest emergency but their old project due dates don’t get pushed. It’s just all supposed to magically get done.

Like other people mentioned, the micro-management is pretty bad. Everyone from the CEO down has their hands on even the most trivial of projects. You usually can’t take ownership of your work because someone will tell you exactly how to do it. Or rather, they’ll give you incredibly vague direction, and then heavily critique it when it’s done. If you’ve ever heard, “I’ll know it when I see it” or “I don’t know what I want but this isn’t it”... yeah, that’s how things go. Among management’s many problems, they have a real lack of creativity and vision, so they’ll rely on employees to come up with solutions to the many problems that arise, which is actually one of the better perks of working here.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea… I really don’t hate management or the company but they just don’t know what they’re doing and as someone who cares about the work they do, it’s hard to watch this train wreck. If you do come work here, come in with a positive attitude and treat it like a game or fun challenge. Try not to get caught up thinking about all the ways things can be done better or get discouraged by the poor quality of projects you work on. Just do the best you can, learn what you can and move on when you’ve put your time in.

Advice to Management

Plenty of opportunity for improvement. The bar is set pretty low.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free health insurance, hour long lunch, and opportunities to become involved with the community

Cons

Upper management is nonexistent; I've come to a conclusion that they work from home. Women nly have a few months throughout the year to not wear panty hose. Management does not know their job which makes it difficult to be trained by somebody that doesn't know what they're doing. My department in particular treated us like slaves. One person is expected to do the work of three people. They make unrealistic expectations that you can never meet. I could write an essay about how screwed up BlueCross BlueShield of MS is but I'd rather not waste anymore of my time discussing this ridiculous unprofessional company.

Advice to Management

Learn you're job and treat employees like humans. And at least pretend like you care about your employees.

"A Headache"

Former Employee - Incoming Communications Specialist in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Incoming Communications Specialist in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Blue Cafe, Hot Breakfast and Lunch

Cons

Too many to name.... Mostly the dress code, constant surveillance, and fear of being laid off
    Also little to no opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like ADULTS

"No advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flowood, MS

Pros

Great benefits, on-site gym, on the clock work outs, 7.5 hour days, yearly bonuses and raises

Cons

Elimination of positions, morale is low, not many opportunities for advancement, management has a certain physical mold required for the promotion of women

Advice to Management

More opportunities need to be given to customer service employees, morale needs to be improved starting with a break room in the customer service building,

"Out of Touch with Reality"

Former Employee - IT Department in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - IT Department in Flowood, MS

Pros

Great people, Two 30-minute breaks to work out, Walking Track

Cons

1960s Corporate mentality, the only minority group management respects are the people from India, management has no concern for employees' personal life. Low level employees are treated as welfare cases most times. Upper management more concerned with petty policies such as parking space rather than developing a positive culture.

Advice to Management

Learn to inject life into your company. People want to feel appreciated and not disposable. Especially in your IT Department.

"Not a good place to work if your human"

Former Employee - Client Account Analyst in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Client Account Analyst in Flowood, MS

Pros

Rick Hale is a great CEO, but his management employees are the worst and do not treat lower level employees with the same respect as Rick Hale does.

Cons

The management has no compassion for its employees. They expect you to be robots that works continuously with no assistance from upper management with an issue outside of your scope. Their man goal is attendance, which is understandable because attendance and punctuality are important for job success, but it is to the point where you cannot take 15 minute breaks outside the building, and although it is said to be 15 minutes, they expect you back in 9.5 minutes. The QA department is a joke because they can listen in on your call and critique how you handled it but do not have hands on knowledge of how to do your job.

Advice to Management

Realize that all employees are human and adults and treat them as such. No employees means no business and no job for management. Remember that!!

8. "Battle Worn and tired"

Former Employee - ITS in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - ITS in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance cost, salary, Cafe is AWESOME, and the in your face motivation to stay healthy.

Cons

Work as hard as you can just to see lazy arses get the preferential treatment. If you get injured while performing mandatory physical activity its considered as your fault and when is the soonest you can start exercise again. There are too many cons to list. Jut remember if you get a job at the Blue, you then owe Blue for the rest of your time there and if you don't like it you can leave. Cause there are many new graduates searching for jobs. I am not Maester of Business but I have never seen more idiotic decision made like this group of clowns anywhere. Employees of all levels are floored periodically at the decisions that come down from these people.

Advice to Management

Take care of the emps that work hard daily and make you look good, go to bat for those emps, get them their raises, and keep those employees because its what good companies do.

"not worth the free insurance"

Former Employee - Provider Services Representative I in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Provider Services Representative I in Flowood, MS

Pros

Nice gym & time to walk twice a week was relaxing. The cafe was great. Not paying for insurance.

Cons

Racial disparities as to who gets hired/promoted into certain positions. Many people in the call center had been there for years even though they'd applied for promotions and were qualified. Micromanaging time: one day when I was sick a supervisor came into the bathroom to ask why i wasn't on the phone after two minutes!
    When I put in my two weeks notice, they tried to scare me into leaving, saying "i heard" that the company I was going to would be shutting down soon.

"Depressing.."

Current Employee - Information Technology in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Flowood, MS

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great salary

-Two 30 minute workouts a week on the clock which results in free health insurance.

-On site cafe offering inexpensive and healthy meals (which sometimes taste pretty good).

-Various on site seminars and annual employee health fair, Christmas party off site during business hours.

-Standard vacation/personal leave accrual and a floating holiday

Cons

-Less observed holidays than most companies

- Have to wait 3 months for insurance to kick in and SIX months before you are allowed to use any vacation and personal leave you have accrued. You may be approved for unpaid leave if an emergency arises.

Extremely corporate and outdated culture which operates on fear. Employees are expected to work lots of unpaid overtime just to meet aggressive deadlines set by... who really knows. Most projects and tasks are given to you at the last minute. Information Technology in particular is stressful. A few late hours comes with the territory, but they come very often here.

Everyone works in cubicles with walls that stop somewhere above the waist including upper management. VPs have high cubicle walls but most of the wall is made of clear plastic.

In general, management tries to show a caring side (some are genuine) but most of it is superficial.

The older employees at this company are miserable and are just waiting to retire with their pension. This company will not be able to retain younger employees looking for progressive culture and a DECENT work/life balance for their families. Upper management and officers have a warped idea of how "lucky" the employees are to work here.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to your employees and stop treating people as if they are criminals. Not everyone is out to abuse the system. There is enough stress in life without encountering so much of it where one spends most of their time each day. Money is not enough to retain top talent.

"A company with stifling culture and sub-market employee benefits and incentives."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Generally, pay is above average.

Cons

No pension for new employees, no continuing education support, average to less-than-average 401k contributions, no flex scheduling, no childcare, NON-guaranteed bonus, NON-guaranteed annual raises, and average to less-than-average vacation days. Health benefit premiums for a spouse and/or family are only slightly better than average.

Advice to Management

Enable employees to take responsibility for their own advancement. Trust employees. Try to understand the younger generations of career-minded individuals. Understand the market, and realize that you are sub-par in order that you might make changes. I am confident that every employee at BCBSMS could find another job that has better benefits in a better culture - understand this.