Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2019

Found 54 reviews

2.3
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi CEO Carol Pigott (no image)
Carol Pigott
Pros
  • "Two 30 minute workouts a week on the clock which results in free health insurance(in 6 reviews)

• "Free health insurance, hour long lunch, and opportunities to become involved with the community(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rules does not apply to the upper management(in 11 reviews)

• "Very stiff environment where; strict dress code that does not allow open toe shoes or skirts without stockings(in 8 reviews)

1. "This was the best job ever"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Great work environment, and upward mobility.

Cons

Did not like my position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-05-18
  2. "Good Pay and Benefits"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Flowood, MS

Pros

Pay is a pro for me

Cons

Management is a con for me

Advice to Management

Clean up the unnecessary tasks

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-08-14

"Enter at your own Risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Annual Incentive, Gym

Cons

Although the benefits looks AMAZING, the poor work environment outweighs the good. If you do not mind going to work everyday miserable, then by all means accept the job! No one works on a “team” or takes ownership for mistakes. It becomes a blame game. You will go to work everyday thinking if you make ONE mistake you will get fired because to upper management you are replaceable. Do not listen to the preach about... “opportunities for growth” and “work/life balance” because there are none. Until executive management takes ownership for the toxic environment, things will not change.

Advice to Management

Listen to your GOOD employees. Grow your GOOD employees. STOP enabling POOR employees.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-08-24
  4. "Great pay and benefits."

Former Employee - Compliance in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits, access to gym and cafeteria with healthy food options.

Cons

Difficult to have a good work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Please consider offering a better work life balance for dedicated employees.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-07-19

"Not a Happy Place"

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Benefits, work hours, fitness plan

Cons

Management, CEO, Dress Code, Culture

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-03-26

"A complete waste of time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, on-site cafe and gym, free health insurance, workouts on the clock

Cons

First, this place incorporates extreme micromanagement in every sense of the word. Rather than relying on research methods or trusting the literal professionals trained in their respective areas, executives make decisions based on knee-jerk reactions which is then relayed through middle-man managers to these employees. Every single tiny thing has to be approved by the CEO – and that's absolutely no exaggeration.... Ironically, you'll never actually see the CEO herself other than at the monthly employee birthday party. It's the mark of a true leader to actually engage with your team and to not be so far removed that it warps into "us v. them" mentality. What is going to destroy this company is getting caught up in the arbitrary internal happenings that as a result slow down actual, concrete productivity. Due to this approach, it perpetuates extremely low company morale and an extremely depressing environment. The environment is very outdated, and the policies are strict. There is entirely too much emphasis placed on security. First, the entire building is set up like a military base, and you're useless without your ID. The concept of outside guests is non-existent. For anyone that relies solely on their computer for workflows, security is a roadblock at every corner – to the point where it reduces productivity. The IT area needs a complete remodel and uses way too dated methodologies. The culture itself is unnecessarily conservative and places far too much emphasis on the dress code. It's 2019. 99% of companies don't require pantyhose anymore or adhere to other outdated dress codes. BCBSMS does not truly value their employees. The turnaround is insane, and there is a strict policy against rehiring. Employees have also been terminated over arbitrary reasons, without so much as a warning. Again, this is not indicative of most corporate policies. Anyone who cannot objectively see BCBSMS for the terrible place it is, has either 1) never been in a sustainable, healthy workplace 2) delusional or 3) in full-blown denial.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-03-14
  7. "Great Benefits and Pay"

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is great, the benefits are great. Two workouts on the clock. 37.5 hour work week. Great people.

Cons

Eccentric culture, very conservative.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2019-01-22

"z/OS Applications Programmer"

Former Employee - Applications Programmer

Pros

Coworkers and direct management were all friendly and welcoming. Plenty of guys and gals with lots of experience willing to help you out. Relatively low stress. There were times I had to work late, but it didn't bother me. Work was often challenging and rewarding. Management gave me a fair bit of autonomy and encouraged my development. Overall I learned a lot.

Cons

Being on a nighttime call rotation on an entry level salary and no mention of this in the hiring process? lol, come on now. The company culture is definitely stuck in the past, the movie Office Space will make a lot more sense to you after working here. As for the workplace exercise program, I felt like a mindless peon being told to run around a track for 30 minutes like a hamster in a wheel. You want to come to my... house and tell me what color to paint my living room too? More seriously, I felt like there was no real desire to invest heavily in the IT side of things, a red flag that more than just the workplace culture was stuck in the past. I felt like there was a fair amount of "dig a hole, fill it back up again" type stuff going on in place of actual innovation and streamlining. There was also a lack of collaboration within the IT environment, lots of energy spent deciding what project, what program, what ticket belongs to who. I would regularly run out of projects to work on, which is probably normal, but I did not like sitting in front of a computer with restricted internet access in a tie pretending to be busy, so there you go. The real absurdity was that my manager was being worked to death with no shortage of projects. But due to all the red tape and bloated workflow processes half the team is sitting there not able to help.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2018-05-25

"Outdated and Dull"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jack, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, health perks and good food.

Cons

Lack of transparency is the most politically way to put it. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi does not care about their employees, the quality of work is a joke and there is always a sense of micro management. The directors are legends only in their own minds.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate more with your employees and guide them properly instead of treating them like robots.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2018-02-05
  10. "Simple"

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Benefits on the clock exercise

Cons

Negative coworkers unorganized management

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi2017-11-28