Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Reviews | Glassdoor

Carol Pigott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Simple"

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Benefits on the clock exercise

Cons

Negative coworkers unorganized management

2. "Claims Specialist"

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for overtime, if in the right area

Cons

MGMT always pushing for faster faster faster production

3. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Coding Analyst
    Current Employee - Coding Analyst

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great insurance, gym, health and wellness options

Cons

Sometime have to work long hours

"Life is too short to work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay; cheap food in cafeteria; good 401k match; good and cheap health insurance; great onsite gym with trainers and lots of classes

Cons

Very strict rules, can't eat at your desk or drink without a lid, pay for coffee, zero flex schedule, must use PTO in 15 minute increments, strong culture of fear, antiquated processes and IT systems, performance evaluations are a joke, very difficult to move to other areas if you are interested in a different line of work, rules do not apply to vp and above, management won't speak to you (or even acknowledge you via eye contact) in the hallway unless you are management, strict dress code for everyone, no team building or career development offered, very stressful environment, depressing atmosphere

Advice to Management

Have the board walk around and see the negative environment and hire an outside consulting firm to do a true analysis and get rid of the CEO

"Room For Improvement"

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are great for the area

Cons

The culture and technology seem to be behind the times. You can see this in all the other reviews. Dress code, culture of fear. Not the kind of place you stay at for 5+ years.

"Terrible"

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, nice facility

Cons

They don't care about their employees.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free health insurance, hour long lunch, and opportunities to become involved with the community

Cons

Upper management is nonexistent; I've come to a conclusion that they work from home. Women nly have a few months throughout the year to not wear panty hose. Management does not know their job which makes it difficult to be trained by somebody that doesn't know what they're doing. My department in particular treated us like slaves. One person is expected to do the work of three people. They make unrealistic expectations that you can never meet. I could write an essay about how screwed up BlueCross BlueShield of MS is but I'd rather not waste anymore of my time discussing this ridiculous unprofessional company.

Advice to Management

Learn you're job and treat employees like humans. And at least pretend like you care about your employees.

8. "Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Jackson, MS

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salaries

Cons

Very stiff environment where; strict dress code that does not allow open toe shoes or skirts without stockings

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to interact and promote others fairly

"Layers of Disfunction"

Current Employee - IT Worker in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - IT Worker in Flowood, MS

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An hour a week for workouts. Decent, healthy food on site. Good pay for Mississippi. Nice people.

Cons

If you read a lot of the other reviews you’ll see a lot of similar themes but I’ll try to add my 2 cents.

If you’re looking for a long-term career home or somewhere where you can feel passionate about the work you do... this probably isn’t the place. If you’re looking for a stepping stone to the career you want elsewhere… you can survive here for a year or two. Don’t expect any career development and IT management doesn’t care about their employees, but a lot of people stay because the money is decent for Mississippi.

If you are used to a company that understands modern software development you are in for a rude awakening. There is no product backlog or any kind of planning shared with the employees. Most projects have little or no documentation, communication with the business area is strongly discouraged, and the tech stack in outdated, undocumented and there is mountains of technical debt. It’s amazing that a lot of the applications even work at all. Every deployment is a roll of the dice.

All projects have the same due date, “yesterday” and they all have the same priority “emergency”. You get used to it after a while but it’s annoying when you have to stay late to work on whatever the day’s latest emergency project is. It’s hard to take things seriously when due dates get changed, moved, removed and then suddenly appear again, pretty much at random. Whole projects suddenly disappear without warning but you know at some point they’ll pop up again, maybe six months later and needed to be finished “yesterday”. Resources will get moved off a project to the day’s latest emergency but their old project due dates don’t get pushed. It’s just all supposed to magically get done.

Like other people mentioned, the micro-management is pretty bad. Everyone from the CEO down has their hands on even the most trivial of projects. You usually can’t take ownership of your work because someone will tell you exactly how to do it. Or rather, they’ll give you incredibly vague direction, and then heavily critique it when it’s done. If you’ve ever heard, “I’ll know it when I see it” or “I don’t know what I want but this isn’t it”... yeah, that’s how things go. Among management’s many problems, they have a real lack of creativity and vision, so they’ll rely on employees to come up with solutions to the many problems that arise, which is actually one of the better perks of working here.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea… I really don’t hate management or the company but they just don’t know what they’re doing and as someone who cares about the work they do, it’s hard to watch this train wreck. If you do come work here, come in with a positive attitude and treat it like a game or fun challenge. Try not to get caught up thinking about all the ways things can be done better or get discouraged by the poor quality of projects you work on. Just do the best you can, learn what you can and move on when you’ve put your time in.

Advice to Management

Plenty of opportunity for improvement. The bar is set pretty low.

"Stay away!"

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work out on the clock and leave at 4:30pm.

Cons

Management sucks - only because they are getting it thrown at them from the top down. Super stressful and everyone is just looking to cover their own butt. Directors and managers are leaving left and right. The turnover is hellacious. Also - pantyhose.

Advice to Management

Get with the program. Why don't you listen to the few of the decent employees you have left? Take a survey of current employees asking them about work life and what they would change and you would learn a lot about yourself.