Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska President and CEO Steven S. Martin
Steven S. Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • BCBSNE truly creates a solid work life balance for their employees (in 15 reviews)

• Great culture, great people and outstanding values (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Health insurance industry is constantly in flux (in 7 reviews)

• Personally there are no cons for me (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"True BLUE Culture"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BlueCross Blue Shield of Nebraska's management team has created a winning culture! Employees are valued, respected and held accountable. Employees are passionate about their roles and doing the very best for our members. We embrace an environment that allows everyone to be themselves.

We have over a thousand employees however, are "a big little family" where employees genuinely care about each other.

Cons

It is hard to know everyone on a first name basis although, we always acknowledge each other in passing.

Advice to Management

Continue to make employees feel valued. We appreciate it, remain committed to working hard and contributing to our success.

Jan 16, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

"A big little family" - couldn't agree more! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

2. "Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Neb is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager, Marketing in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager, Marketing in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BCBSNE truly creates a solid work life balance for their employees. They continuously have engaging events for employees such as wellness challenges, fundraising, etc.

Cons

Health insurance in general can have a negative consumer outlook

Advice to Management

Continue to build of a nearly 80 year trusted reputation in the Nebraska marketplace.

3. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Management in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Management in Omaha, NE

Pros

Everyone is so friendly, helpful - company is a great company to work with - always celebrating the wins even during the busiest times of the year. Great access to senior management and even our CEO - Steve Martin - lots of opportunities to advance - lots of tenured employees - which is a great indication of the culture

Cons

No cons at this point

Jan 11, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to review us. Glad to hear your pro's - they are all things we work very hard on!

4. "BCBSNE Review"

Pros

The culture is relaxing, people enjoy coming to work, feel free to offer up new ideas, flexibility

Cons

Professional growth is a possibility but difficult to outline a career path in the department I work in

Jan 11, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and for being a positive contributor to our success!

"Awesome company"

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Mature structure and agile methodology. Great colleagues. Setting an example to other businesses on how to grow and retain great talent. Fantastic IT department.

Cons

Practically no cons so far. Lack of free coffee/tea supplies but really a non issue in the grand scheme of things.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work!

Nov 2, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the review! We are glad you're enjoying your time here. While we may not have free coffee, we do have the onsite Starbucks! :)

6. "Quality Assurance Specialist"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, great pay, flexiable hours, bonuses, great benefits

Cons

More training, more employees, more transparency

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Aug 23, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your review and wish you the best in your career!

"Claims Director"

Current Employee - Claims Director in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Claims Director in Omaha, NE

Pros

The talent management team is truly talented at what they do! I did not get the first job that I applied for, but rather had the talent team working with me closely for almost a year to find the RIGHT, successful match. They were professional, timely in their communications, and transparent at every point in the process.
    I have been with BCBSNE for almost three months now and have found myself constantly acknowledging and appreciating the hard work that has gone into creating and sustaining a company culture that truly values its employees and its customers. A dedicated chair representing the customer sits at the table with us in meetings, and our CEO takes the time to meet with employees on their first month of the job and provide valuable perspective on the industry and the internal strategic plan. I have been particularly impressed with the humility and level of transparency demonstrated at the executive level, and how this translates to employees who are highly engaged and collaborative.

Cons

No cons. The support and collaboration that I have experienced since joining the Blues has been unlike any other professional experience.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in culture and prioritizing customers and community.

Aug 14, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments! Welcome to BCBSNE and we're glad your're here!

8. "Great Mission, Vision and Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I began working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska in 1998. A “great place to work” is emphasized by many things.

When considering leadership in the community, we offer opportunities to serve and lead with the United Way, Omaha Gives, Open Door Mission, Salvation Army (bell ringing), Heartland Hands of Hope, Iteration 48, Wellness events and so many other organizations. On top of this, Blue Cross offers a Gift Matching program and grants to further support financially various programs across the state.

Regarding career growth and opportunity; I began in our Sales and Marketing group as a CRM administrator, however, many options to adapt, learn and grow over the years has always been supported. Job functions I have acquired include CRM, TV, mail, print advertising, call centers, mail processing, sales, renewals, finance, analytics, actuary, web development, infrastructure, enterprise content management, education, training, to name a few. If you want an exciting, fun, agile, challenging work environment, this is the place for you!

Blue Cross and Blue Shield is well respected and solid financial company, and our mission reflects our customer-centric values and the importance of meeting the needs of our groups and members. As a winner of the Platinum Well Workplace Award from the Wellness Councils of America, and one of Omaha’s Best Places to Work two years in a row, along with an outstanding wellness facility that continually promotes health living and exercise, there is much to enjoy.

Great people, outstanding opportunities, valued employee’s, industry benefits and a rare, almost unparalleled culture are all sensible reasons to consider working for the “Blue’s”. As for our family, we are thankful for not only the career, but the sense of family experienced over the years, as well as, the support in growth and service to our community.

Cons

The evolving marketplace. This industry, technology and advances require a lot of adaptability and willingness to continually learn. While some embrace that type of challenging atmosphere, it may not be a good fit for those who prefer a more predictable career path.

Advice to Management

Recruiting and keeping great talent is a lot of work. The successful managers that I’ve had the privilege to work for stay engaged consistently with their teams, build interpersonal relationships, provide on-going feedback and model servant leadership and integrity. Public praise when appropriate builds confidence and trust, and inspires to serve with excellence. Continue evaluating potential trajectory of new talent to see rising stars.

Aug 14, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the insight! Glad you have been a part of the family for over 10+ years!

9. "Blue Cross is the place to work"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time

Pros

One of the many reasons why I enjoy working at Blue Cross is the amazing work/life balance. The flexible schedule has allowed me to be a happier and more passionate worker. I love coming to work every day feeling stress-free and enjoying the work I do. As a young professional, I have been given ample opportunities for career growth and proven myself to be a true leader. BCBSNE management helps employees paint their desired future and will assist in helping them achieve those goals.

Cons

not necessarily a con towards BCBSNE but the insurance industry is always changing and for a company to stay focused and ahead of the game, there becomes change. Change can be a hard situation to understand but our leadership at BCBSNE has helped employees deal with the change and stays transparent so we are all on the same page.

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Manager

We're glad to have you on our team, and are happy to hear you feel supported in your career. Thanks for the comments!

10. "Director of Claims"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time

Pros

Good support from upper management

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

Create better career pathing