Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2020

3.7
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska President and CEO Steve Grandfield
Steve Grandfield
Pros
  • "Work culture and work life balance are good(in 23 reviews)

• "BCBSNE is filled with great people that are genuinely proud to work here(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "However, employees at BCBSNE are more than willing to help you grow(in 9 reviews)

• "No cons as I couldn’t think of anything(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Look no further"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Joining this company was my best professional decision. I've grown so much professionally, get much more work/life balance, and feel truly invested in as an individual. Senior leadership is very visible at all levels of the company and is intentional about cultivating the top culture in town - both are rare at a company this size.

Cons

While healthcare insurance is an unstable industry, working for the Blues is as stable employment as anyone can exccept.

February 13, 2020Employee Experience Consultant

Thanks for taking time to share your experience. We're happy to have you on the team! (And it's great to hear you're seeing positive things coming from our listening efforts.)

2. "Amazing company culture!"

Current Employee - N/A in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, transparency throughout org, amazing benefits, competitive pay, lots of room for growth, community involvement, central location

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at the moment

3. "Bad culture"

Former Employee - IT Audit Senior in Omaha, NE

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time

Pros

Good benefits, and the culture within individual teams is good

Cons

The overall culture has gone downhill. There is too much of trying to push things through without internal controls. The actions of executive leadership is fishy.

June 11, 2020Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your service and the pros you listed! We're sorry to hear about your views on executive leadership. Our employee’s voices matter, we invite you to please reach out to your HR Business Partner if you'd like to discuss your feedback or concerns: HRBP@nebraskablue.com.

4. "Excellent Benefits, Great Environment, Great Pay"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Omaha, NE

Pros

The whole benefits package is amazing. The company pays 88% of your health insurance premiums, they have rewards for being healthy and for trying to be healthy. They have 401k matching, a great wellness center on-site, disability, life insurance, great base pay, extra incentives. Vacation and hours for work are great, they will work with you to set a schedule that fits for you.

Cons

They do offer an FSA account to help with childcare but it would be nice to have a place for free or super reduced childcare.

February 14, 2020Employee Experience Consultant

Thrilled to hear you're happy with our extensive benefits package! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

5. "Strong leadership"

4.0
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership is trustworthy and experienced; emphasis on collaboration; agile-focused; deeply dedicated to community; large on-site exercise facility; secondary office location in Lincoln

Cons

Occasionally a market follower instead of market leader.

February 14, 2020Employee Experience Consultant

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Our community involvement and leadership consistently top the list of things that employees love about working here. Glad to have you on the team.

6. "Great place with a lot of opportunities for itself to learn."

Former Employee - IT Service Desk Technician in Omaha, NE

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are great places to work here. but unfortunately not every single department and every single piece of it is the same. It is very highly dependent on your manager. They have a great culture depending on what apartment you're in and whether or not they see that as a value. When they do it's probably one of the best places you could ever work.

Cons

It's very difficult to move up in IT. Management is very different depending on who you can get. and the management there is definitely more of a hive-mind mentality, so if you upset one you could risk upsetting all of them.

March 9, 2020Employee Experience Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy that you value the connection between healthy leadership and strong culture. If you’d like to discuss your feedback or concerns, please reach out to an HR Business Partner: HRBP@nebraskablue.com. We wish you all the best!

7. "“Cool Club”"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits. Increased knowledge of UM process and claims

Cons

Only promoted if you are in the cool / or friends group. The work is not assessed fairly by department, bonus only offered to certain departments- or secretly to favorites” Too many needless meetings. Very undermining coworkers. You are not given the ALL the information needed to be a 5 star employee. Human Resources consistently sided with management. Poor communication with employees on FMLA. Neither the process or policies shared for employees while away from access to them.

February 11, 2020Employee Experience Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. At BCBSNE, our employee's voices matter. We recently made improvements in FMLA communications, and are providing support to encourage more effective meetings. We're happy you were able to grow your skills while you were here.

"Keep looking elsewhere"

Current Employee - Developer in Omaha, NE

Pros

Good benefits and they care about their interns.

Cons

No leadership skills, vision, or roadmaps. Excessive turnover in the last two years. They dropped yearly bonuses and practically stopped giving spot bonuses. People are walked out the door regularly and there is zero transparency from leadership. Extremely short staffed, overworked, burnout, and underpaid for the market standards.

March 9, 2020Employee Experience Consultant

Thank you for sharing your thoughts; we’re glad you appreciate the extensive benefits package we offer. We're sorry to hear about your experience. Our employee’s voices matter, we invite you to please reach out to your HR Business Partner if you'd like to discuss your feedback or concerns: HRBP@nebraskablue.com.

"Dishonest managers. Good managers left within 1 to 2 years. Toxic environment where bad behavior was rewarded."

1.0

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can't recommend it to anyone.

Cons

They think they have an amazing culture, but they are in total denial about the problems that exist.

February 4, 2020Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your reply, and we're sorry to hear about your experience. If you want to share more detail, please reach out to the HR Business Partner and we are happy to talk through any feedback that you have: HRBP@nebraskablue.com

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Organizational Development Specialist

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska full-time for less than a year

Pros

This organization is filled with friendly, caring, genuine, and hardworking individuals. People are the number one priority at BCBSNE. The culture is very healthy and the work-life balance is to be celebrated. The organization does a great job of celebrating diversity and making inclusion a top priority. It also helps that the benefits and pay are on par/above industry standard.

Cons

Because it is a very collaborative environment, decisions can sometimes take a long time. In the past, there has been a lot of change that was not managed well and there is opportunity to improve from that.

November 25, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your view on BCBSNE!

Found 146 reviews