KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2021

Found 620 of over 698 reviews

3.6
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina President and CEO Dr. Tunde Sotunde
Dr. Tunde Sotunde
Pros
  • "Great work life balance and exposure to new technologies(in 94 reviews)

• "The work from home capabilities are also a plus(in 66 reviews)

• Cons
  • "upper management , needs to be re evaluated(in 13 reviews)

• "In many areas, there is no work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Family oriented, flexible work options, great place to work

Jan 25, 2021 - Business Analyst in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family oriented, with a work-life balance and flexibility with a focus on diversity, human rights (women, LGBTQ, BIPOC) and learning. Great environment for intellectually curious, self-learners.

Cons

You have to be comfortable with change. There is constant change, but that is in most IT and healthcare related corporate jobs.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great company to work for!

Jun 7, 2021 - Claims Professional in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

They really care about their employees. There is always room for advancement.

Cons

There really isn't a downside to working here.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Used to be the best..not anymore

Jul 24, 2021 - Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits, work from home, Used to be good company.not anymore

Cons

Constant changes from upper management, disconnect relationships with team leads, constant changes of policies and procedures from.upper management, you address and brought up the issues but no one listened and seems no one is addressing the issues they care more on cutting down expense than keeping good and experienced employees, the upper management advised of work balance but the front line staff actually works 10 to 12 hrs a day just to.meet the deadlines , upper mngt are out of touch and so unaware of their team leads bullying behavior (afraid of retaliation?)

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Response

Communications Specialist Associate

I’m so sorry that this has been your experience. Our goal is to create a culture that thrives on flexibility and work-life balance. Please know that the company prohibits the treatment described and takes the concerns of bullying seriously as we work hard to provide an environment for our employees that is safe, professional and supportive of teamwork and trust. We'd like to hear more about your experience with management so we can work to make things better. Please contact socialmedia@bcbsnc.com and we can further discuss.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee

Center of Excellence is actually the Center of Chaos

Jul 29, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, work from home, work from home.

Cons

BCBS loves to reorganize every few years. I think the higher-ups get bored and think of ways to reorganize. This time, we have the beautifully named Center of Excellence which has turned into the most unorganized mess with incompetent managers. The only reason I am here on Glassdoor is to express how much I hate management and this company. Because BCBS does not have a platform where employees can review their managers, the only way to get the word out is Glassdoor. So, here ya go BCBS....your sales managers suck.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best employer !

Jul 31, 2021 - Customer Service Advocate in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best company and group of individuals to work with.

Cons

No Pension plan. This benefit was removed about 10 years ago.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Customer service

Jul 25, 2021 - Customer Service in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Locations efficiently placed. Creative and competitive environment. Good opportunity for some growth

Cons

Cooperative initiatives need to be clearly delivered to all. Sometimes feels that certain levels are left out on updates

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic benefits, awful coworkers and sometimes management

Jul 18, 2021 - Business Analyst in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easiest jobs I've ever had work-wise. I felt like I was paid to do nothing half my career there. Even though I like to stay busy and came up with tons of new ideas when I was bored, I easily had like 3 months of absolutely nothing to do (and I constantly asked for stuff to do). If you want to be able to just sit around with minimal work, this would be a good fit. I had a lot of growth opportunities there and was allowed to wear multiple hats where I wanted to. Great benefits and bonuses. The pay wasn't too bad.

Cons

The people who work here will chew you up and spit you out, and love it. Ive been yelled at by senior BAs for the stupidest reasons (insecurities run rampant), Project Managers, healthcare product owners, you name it. I've been made fun of for being fat (literally have been called fat by people twice my size), I was heavily harassed by a joke of a person and our leader defended her every step of the way, even when I was pregnant and she was causing me major stress, and insecure old folks would heavily work to get rid of any young folk who intimidated them. Just seriously insecure people who made life stressful for no reason. Often times those folks did not contribute anything to the team. This kind of behavior is often shrugged off. Where I work now, it is specifically unacceptable to act the way they did (code of conduct), so this tells me that there is an acceptance of this behavior at Blue Cross NC. Management is truly a luck of the draw. I had excellent management in the last two years there, but Management before that within CGSO was a joke. They were manipulative and selfish, and a few outright bullied their teams. Some Management is blatantly nasty to everyone. It's really gross and unacceptable.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Response

Communications Specialist Associate

I’m so sorry that this was your experience while working at Blue Cross NC. Please know that the company prohibits the treatment described and takes the concerns of bullying and harassment seriously as we work hard to provide an environment for our employees that is safe, professional and supportive of teamwork and trust. We'd like to hear more about your experience so we can work to make things better. Please contact socialmedia@bcbsnc.com and we can further discuss.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Okay job

Jul 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy job plenty of OT. Worked with good people.

Cons

Lots of changes with leadership. Lots of unqualified team leads and big on micromanaging

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee

programmer

Jul 17, 2021 - Software Engineer in Birmingham, AL
      Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits but the pay was low compared to other companies

Cons

the pay was low compared to other companies

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good pay

Jul 18, 2021 - Senior Developer in Columbia, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good at Career development for programming

Cons

Once you reach senior level there’s no growth

Viewing 1 - 10 of 620 Reviews