Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kim Keck

Pros
  • Good work environment, strong leadership in the EPMO, excellent work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• great benefits, flexible schedules, brand new building, supportive management (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you are above a Sr (in 4 reviews)

• One of the main challenges of working here is their management structure, there are too many managers and too few people actually doing the work (in 5 reviews)

1. "Ups and downs management not punctual whatsoever, things change daily and seems no true leader"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Providence, RI

Pros

None to be honest besides steady job, on-site cafe, good discounts for local attraction and eateries.

Cons

Expensive health insurance which is ironic its a health insurance company

"Product Marketing"

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Providence, RI

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were team oriented. All our jobs within the team were dependent on one another and therefore fostered/required collaboration. Good cafeteria, benefits, salary. Loved working downtown with all the restaurants and shopping!

Cons

The parking was expensive downtown.

"Senior Management is too disconnected"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Providence, RI

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location- right downtown near many great places.

Cons

No recognition that employees add value to the organization
    Exec management is very siloed with a lot of infighting
    Organization is run from the middle management with very little oversight, direction, or recognition from senior mangement

Advice to Management

Get more involved in day to day activities or at least have more awareness.

4. "good people micromanaging"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Providence, RI

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with but micromanaging. In customer service they micromanage every word you say. They give you bad QA's so you won't get the bonus. The jobs are going overseas shortly. they already sent Provider, Membership and the IT dept overseas. Someone should tell Donald Trump!

Cons

Good people to work with very nice they feed you and you will gain 10 pounds!

Advice to Management

Appreciate what you have!

5. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex time, 40 hour work week, mostly good people to work with, great amount of time off. Salary is good for most positions. Close to bus and train station which is a plus for me.

Cons

Too many Managers who have few direct reports. Usually only promoted to managerial status simply due to talking a good talk, acting like a know it all and/or friends with someone in higher position.

There is a culture which allows management to subject their employees to be harassed by others and turns their heads to it most likely due to lack of knowledge so they can still "look good". The human resources team is aware and does nothing. Sad.

Advice to Management

Upper Management need to open their eyes to whats going on and how their Managers and team leads treat their direct reports.

6. "Get experience working for a terrible company"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Providence, RI

Pros

There are some great people whom have worked for the company for 10+ years, that are still around, despite upper management slowing vetting them out. I am grateful for them, as well as other colleagues that I have met during my course.

Cons

I believe that it takes a certain type of individual to become management in this company--a scumbag. There is not any other way to describe it. I am dumbfounded by how this company is even in business. BCBS Association truly needs to absorb RI as it is an absolute cluster. I read some of the reviews before posting this, and they are spot on. Human Resources does not do anything about this environment. Furthermore, they do not act on situation brought to their attention. I really hope that there is a class-action against this company (specifically the HR individuals for not doing their job). There is no growth, no positive outlook, no respect for anyone that works for this company--nothing but a paycheck.

Current employees--do not make the mistake of ever going to HR. I strongly advise anyone from attempting to even think that they can make a difference. HR is there to browse the internet (social media) all day and go out to lunch together for 2 hours at the mall. They are not interested in your problems, do not inconvenience them.

Advice to Management

It's a small state, once they get rid of you, no one will ever hire you anywhere else. No other company will tolerate the behavior going on here.

"Complete dissapointment"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Providence, RI

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building/facility is very modern and located centrally within downtown Providence. There are amenities such as dry cleaning (vendor provided) and gym within the building, making it very convenient

Cons

There is underground parking for senior-level management only. All others must find their own means of transportation/parking.

The internal management is comprised of individuals whom have persevered the many layoffs and what-not. They are in management position by default/process of elimination and have absolutely no qualifying leadership traits. Thus, stay put and absorb as much information, and you too could achieve basic managerial status simply due to be around long enough to know the trends and who/what is responsible for processes/tasks. Aside from that, managers hate their role in terms of having direct reports; however, it is their only way of acquiring a higher paying salary.

There are approx. 800 FTEs and 200 contractors. Job openings are very scarce, and are solely based on politics and strong nepotism.

HR is aware (as many colleagues directly express their concerns to HR staff), however; it is difficult to complain to HR about a manager when they are childhoods friends.

Technology is nearly obsolete. Company email is done by Lotus notes..welcome to 1992. Computer hardware is archaic as well, Dell laptops from 2005 weighing 15lb. No appetite for latest software/tools for benefit of department/company. No opportunity for career/individual growth via internal training nor participation in conferences, etc.

Advice to Management

Would be like giving advice to a brick wall. Although, the brick wall wouldn't retaliate

8. "Great team but many silos and inefficiencies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

Worked with some amazing people at BCBSRI. Their commitment to the community is absolutely the best part about working there.

Cons

It took forever to get things done and there were too many cooks in the kitchen. Innovation lacking.

9. "Great benefits, culture is not for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

Above average pay in most areas of the org. They invest a lot in training. Fantastic benefits overall.

Cons

The culture is not for everyone including me. Typical big company culture, slow to change, lots of overhead (top heavy org/too many managers.) Consultants visit from time to time to perhaps trim some fat. I enjoy working for smaller companies and left on my own accord after a year. Just not for me.

"Don't Work Here. Just Don't."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Providence, RI

Pros

Benefits are adequate, and you could be working in a meat packing plant or a sulfur mine.

Cons

Representatives are trained poorly, given inadequate technology, and unattainable metrics. Management is not replacing staff as quickly as they are quitting, so additional pressure is placed on the people who remain. There is minimal job security and no support from human resources. After 18 months at this company I had gained 25 pounds and my hands shook constantly.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and train them adequately. Upgrade the software. Be more transparent.