Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2020

3.5
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island President and CEO Kim Keck (no image)
Kim Keck
Pros
Cons
  • "Having to park at the mall can be a pain when the weather is bad(in 6 reviews)

• "Too many Managers who have few direct reports(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"True Blue"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Providence, RI

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Community work (volunteer opportunities, community grants, event sponsorship and presence, etc); associates are friendly and helpful - welcoming and positive atmosphere; corporate values (respect, accountability, collaboration, integrity) hit home for me

Cons

Technology can be frustrating, at times

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2019-07-12
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel like I am a part of a company that really cares about the community we serve. I personally have a great manager and reporting structure. I feel supported in the work I do and feel appreciated. There is a good work life balance and flexibility when needed.

Cons

inconsistency between departments/teams regarding management and processes

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2020-04-03
  3. "Great"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, pto, people, cafeteria

Cons

Nothing is bad so far

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2020-03-06
  4. "Committed to having a work culture that is authentic and encourages employees to bring their whole selves to work."

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island

Pros

Huge emphasis on community service, including at least 12 hours of volunteering in the community while on the clock in addition to a full day of community service with the whole organization. BCBSRI really cares about its members and recognizes that investing in employees helps us better serve our members.

Cons

Some policies like working remotely aren’t as consistent throughout departments as they couldn’t be. Some managers are more accommodating than others, but in my experience at least willing to explore flex working arrangements. It’s also a pretty fast paced environment.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2020-02-13
  5. "New Employee interviewing and on-boarding experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

HR communication was clear on the interview process, next steps and the timing for the entire process. All interview meetings were scheduled for a single one day interview. Laptop, accounts, desk and parking (started and completed during first day) were all set up and ready to go on the first day. Formal first day training was informative and a good introduction to the company. My direct manager was fully engaged, ready to cross train me on my first day and fully in alignment with the HR first day training. My team was welcoming and very helpful in bringing me up to speed on my role and the current work of the team.

Cons

I have none as of right now.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2020-01-27
  6. "Nothing but good things"

4.0
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Providence, RI

Pros

good opportunity for growth, and development. Over all a great work environment.

Cons

Paying for Parking.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2020-01-22
  7. "Great culture and work/life balance w/ positive changes currently evolving"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Providence, RI

Pros

Benefits and compensation are great for the Providence, RI area. Culture is very accepting and community involvement surpasses expectations - BCBSRI truly values positive change in the organization as well as the 'small' community we're all a part of here in Rhode Island. I'm succeeding as a full-time employee as well as a full-time graduate student, indicating the work/life balance is more than acceptable.

Cons

Technology is slightly behind the national trends, but positive changes are in process.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2019-10-10
  8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

The culture is very friendly. It's a small enough company where you feel you can really get to know almost everyone! The organization truly cares about our members and really want to help the state of Rhode Island.

Cons

Having to park at the mall can be a pain when the weather is bad.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2019-10-03
  9. "Like the mafia!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Providence, RI

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO, Volunteer days, M-F, free onsite gym

Cons

Management is clueless and doesn't value employees, to be in you have to act like a high schooler and be into the cliques, people are miserable and toxic, there is NO training, tools or resources to assist you in doing your job, this company is greedy all they care about is money and have no desire to be transparent in their dealings. Don't question or speak up or you will get fired. Having intelligence and ambition is a threat to 99% of the people who work here.

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2019-11-06
  10. "Would not recommend!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Case Management

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island full-time

Pros

M-F no weekends, good amount of time off, remote work is a plus.

Cons

Too much work for the number of employees. They really don't care about their employees. Select few good managers. They tout an open door policy, but it isn't. They train for associates to speak up, do the right thing and report , but they really don't want to hear a word. Favoritism, revolving door of employees , work stress and expensive health plan especially for being a major provider of such!

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island2019-09-13