Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

Dan McCoy, MD

1. "Blue Cross review"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Marshall, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Marshall, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the company going on 3 years a great company to work with lots of advancements.

Cons

Lots of changes in the company within the years.

"Going downhill fast"

Current Employee - CA2 in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - CA2 in Waco, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunities, plenty of paid time off,

Cons

HCSC has started having provider service do multiple states, it opens us up for more errors. It has turned into one stop shopping. The Wal-Mart of insurance you can get claim, benefits etc all in one place but because employees are working so many areas of business they are not proficient in any area. We used to have dedicated areas of business where reps specialized and were experts in those areas. Now we have more misquotes, quality is lacking. No bonus projected for 2017.

Advice to Management

Let people do what they do best so the providers get quality information and employees are not set up to fail

3. "Great Work Place to start your career"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time

Pros

Great people and personalities of all natures. Building is beautiful inside and out. Community Involvement is very active and they support a lot of great causes.

Cons

Frustrations due to lacking sense of urgency.

Advice to Management

Keep your best employees.

5. "Paper pusher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than 8 years)

Pros

Weekly work from home opportunity

Cons

Constant nagging, unrealistic expectations and your level of success depends on managements mood towards you as an employee.

Advice to Management

Take interest in your staff and their goals and aspirations.

6. "Good company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good corporate culture and a flexible work schedule are nice, company truly cared about the communities in which they are located.

Cons

Top-heavy organizational structure means there are not enough "worker bees". Leadership doesn't seek out differing opinions most of the time.

Advice to Management

Hire the best person for the position, not just the person with seniority

"Customer Service"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time

Pros

Christmas party. Bonus in March

Cons

It's healthcare, layoffs, they are now buying out people to retire early

Advice to Management

Give your millionaire dollar bonuses to your employees

"Positive employee experience until 3 years ago. Would not recommend to job seeker at this time."

Current Employee - Network Specialist in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Network Specialist in Richardson, TX

Pros

Prior to 3 years ago, BCBSTX was a very employee friendly company. There was restructuring and change in leadership that has changed the environment for the worse.

Cons

Over the past two years constant changes to duties, management and culture has created a negative employee experience. Recently there is a voluntary retirement offering that has created frustration and division in the ranks. Not sure about future for employees left behind.

Advice to Management

Retirement should have been offered across all positions to avoid frustration of those that wanted to retire but we're not included.

"Chaos"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people that work here. The campus is nice, and the cafeteria is convenient.

Cons

No place to keep food cold. What's up with that? It pretty much forces people to go out for lunch or eat in the on-site cafeteria that is a bit expensive and doesn't have great healthy selections. It's the same 6 vegetables day after day. I've never worked anywhere that didn't have refrigerators for lunch bags, and I've worked at bigger companies.

The "gym" is small and closes quite early. Unless you can get down at an odd time during the working day, forget it. The equipment is also fairly limited.

But more importantly, the leadership is nonexistent. There is lots of finger pointing and "it's not my job" when things go wrong. No matter how much issues are escalated, they are rarely resolved, so deadlines are missed constantly. It's all reactive here. They have a Center for Process Excellence group here, but as far as I can tell, they aren't allowed to actually do anything, especially not drive change. "But we've always done it that way" is the norm, and there is so much territoriality that you can't even share documents with people working on the same project as you if they are in another department.

There is zero trust between departments here. It's like every Director/Manager is hugging their territory like Gollum and his Precious. Bullying is fairly common, and they have no avenue for resolution. Contractors are treated very differently from FTEs, depending on the department, and it is very clear that your main role is to be the fall guy if anything goes wrong. Fair warning: CYA like you never have before. Oh, and if you are a contractor, they are notorious for waiting until literally the last day of your contract to let you know if you are suddenly unemployed.

Advice to Management

Do something about the hierarchy. I haven't seen a company this bloated with unnecessary managerial layers since the 90's, the early 90's. Pretend, at least, that you trust your employees. Treating them like errant children does not increase productivity. Embrace innovation. Measure your managers, from all levels, by how much innovation they've introduced in their area of control. When you launch large change measures, measure managers based on how well their area embraces the change. You get what you measure. Standardize across functions, not across marketing segments. You're not a Retail company, or a Government company, you're an insurance provider. Structure your company around your processes, not your revenue targets, and you'll start to see cost savings. Be PROACTIVE. It's a nightmare how much time is spent putting out fires that could have been prevented.

10. "RN Case Manager"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time

Pros

Its a great company to work for, and allows for great work life balance

Cons

Be ready for change because goals and model is always changing to meet business needs

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Response

Oct 13, 2016 – HR Specialist

We are glad to hear that you like working here and enjoy work life balance. It is true that our business needs change and appreciate our employees who adapt so quickly. Thank you for the review!

11. "Good company"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time

Pros

Good working environment. Covered garage. Flexible working hour. Gym on site. Cafeteria on site. Stable business. No big layoff for long time.

Cons

The healthcare business is getting tough now.