Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Reviews

Updated April 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance is non-existent in some departments (in 3 reviews)

• Unorganized, poor leadership and hard to work with others on virtual teams (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good corporate culture and a flexible work schedule are nice, company truly cared about the communities in which they are located.

Cons

Top-heavy organizational structure means there are not enough "worker bees". Leadership doesn't seek out differing opinions most of the time.

Advice to Management

Hire the best person for the position, not just the person with seniority

"Positive employee experience until 3 years ago. Would not recommend to job seeker at this time."

Current Employee - Network Specialist in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Network Specialist in Richardson, TX

Pros

Prior to 3 years ago, BCBSTX was a very employee friendly company. There was restructuring and change in leadership that has changed the environment for the worse.

Cons

Over the past two years constant changes to duties, management and culture has created a negative employee experience. Recently there is a voluntary retirement offering that has created frustration and division in the ranks. Not sure about future for employees left behind.

Advice to Management

Retirement should have been offered across all positions to avoid frustration of those that wanted to retire but we're not included.

3. "Mail room and Security guard"

Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Richardson, TX

Pros

Full time work plus overtime, lots of overtime in the security guard dept.
    Lots of benefits, plus a pension,health,dental etc..

Cons

Could transfer to another dept. every 6 months, so you were kind of stuck in one place until another position opened up.

Advice to Management

Give your employes a pay raise a little more often.

"Chaos"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people that work here. The campus is nice, and the cafeteria is convenient.

Cons

No place to keep food cold. What's up with that? It pretty much forces people to go out for lunch or eat in the on-site cafeteria that is a bit expensive and doesn't have great healthy selections. It's the same 6 vegetables day after day. I've never worked anywhere that didn't have refrigerators for lunch bags, and I've worked at bigger companies.

The "gym" is small and closes quite early. Unless you can get down at an odd time during the working day, forget it. The equipment is also fairly limited.

But more importantly, the leadership is nonexistent. There is lots of finger pointing and "it's not my job" when things go wrong. No matter how much issues are escalated, they are rarely resolved, so deadlines are missed constantly. It's all reactive here. They have a Center for Process Excellence group here, but as far as I can tell, they aren't allowed to actually do anything, especially not drive change. "But we've always done it that way" is the norm, and there is so much territoriality that you can't even share documents with people working on the same project as you if they are in another department.

There is zero trust between departments here. It's like every Director/Manager is hugging their territory like Gollum and his Precious. Bullying is fairly common, and they have no avenue for resolution. Contractors are treated very differently from FTEs, depending on the department, and it is very clear that your main role is to be the fall guy if anything goes wrong. Fair warning: CYA like you never have before. Oh, and if you are a contractor, they are notorious for waiting until literally the last day of your contract to let you know if you are suddenly unemployed.

Advice to Management

Do something about the hierarchy. I haven't seen a company this bloated with unnecessary managerial layers since the 90's, the early 90's. Pretend, at least, that you trust your employees. Treating them like errant children does not increase productivity. Embrace innovation. Measure your managers, from all levels, by how much innovation they've introduced in their area of control. When you launch large change measures, measure managers based on how well their area embraces the change. You get what you measure. Standardize across functions, not across marketing segments. You're not a Retail company, or a Government company, you're an insurance provider. Structure your company around your processes, not your revenue targets, and you'll start to see cost savings. Be PROACTIVE. It's a nightmare how much time is spent putting out fires that could have been prevented.

"Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Data Analyst in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Business Data Analyst in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Cons

Takes a while to get hired on fulltime.

Advice to Management

Ownership of issues takes time.

7. "Customer Advocate 1"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, People you meet and you work with are truly amazing. They become like family. Best training I ever received and I'm prior military.

Cons

Strict schedule and use metrics to determine what shift you get. Breaks/lunches are mandated. No sick leave during training. If you get really sick it's nothing you can do about that and it will be used against you.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people so that they want to stay.

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with HCSC for 10+ years and have seen a lot of positive change and I must say that this is by far the best company I have every worked for. Overall, we have a strong organizational culture that cares about it's employees and values work-life balance. We also care deeply for our members and do everything we can to help them. We are making great strides to be progressive and improve member service.

Cons

As with any relationship, no company is perfect. I have always been of the mindset that I need to be a part of the solution rather than the problem.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employee feedback.

"Too much politics"

Current Employee - Texas Provider Administration in Rowlett, TX
    Current Employee - Texas Provider Administration in Rowlett, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

beautiful building, nice cafeteria, parking garage, great location

Cons

too much politics, poor bonus & raises, constant meetings (including lunch hours), outsourcing IT group, bad systems that frequently do not work, no one works together, completely reactionary environment with a bunch of drama queens

"Job Security and Work/Life Balance does not exist"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Richardson, TX

Pros

The majority of co-workers, in and out of IT, are professional and willing to help/mentor others.
    Allows Work from Home, but conditions vary for each department.

Cons

Many jobs being sent offshore. Policies applied on selective basis. IT management provides unrealistic project estimates to business which are difficult to get changed. End result is under-estimated project work piled onto an already overloaded project schedule and dedicated employees attempting to meet demand while maintaining quality. At some point, people begin to not care, not speak up, and do minimal to get by without too many issues.

Advice to Management

No advice. My experience is that management rarely listens to advice unless it agrees with the goals for that year.

11. "... okay company"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

had employer parties, and etc

Cons

didn't have the opportunity to move up