Blue Diamond Growers Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Diamond Growers President & CEO Mark D. Jansen
Mark D. Jansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company and a wonderful place to work!"

I have been working at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy my job with Blue Diamond Growers and feel proud to work here. Great company with strong values and a rich history. It is a fun work culture and there is a lot of opportunity for development and career growth. It is a beloved brand and products that the employees seem to be very proud of!

Cons

I really have not encountered anything negative.

May 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for your recommendation!

2. "Uneven staffing"

Current Employee - Staff
    Current Employee - Staff

I have been working at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent effort to make employees happy. Workspace remodel is quite inviting. The day to day people are somewhat friendly. Many people allow use smartphone while on duty.

Cons

Can't figure out why some business units way overstaff while other areas struggle survive. The turnover in office staff is high compared to my past companies, avg stay is 2 yrs??

Advice to Management

Look around see and recognise those with decent work ethic.

"Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great
    Pay is competitive for most positions
    Focused on improving in all aspects (safety, operations, etc...)

Cons

Floor level hours can be taxing

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blue Diamond operates under the values of Partnership, Quality, Innovation, and Integrity. All of which I value within a company. Great place to work!

Cons

No company is perfect, and no company will meet every single expectation that you have. So far, Blue Diamond is on the positive side.

"Nice people, simple work, overblown vision of self."

I worked at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BDG is a nice steady company. They offer middle to low pay for seasonal workers and average benefits to salaried employees. The CEO makes 25 times the pay of the line worker and all executive roles make 200k plus.

Cons

HR Has a grandiose view of the world and think that the company is on a scale of significance with major food companies. Therefore you have to simultaneously think like you're at Kellogg or Microsoft when in reality you only deal with almonds.

Payroll is so grossly overblown that the growers have to feel cheated out of their profits. It's a 4 billion dollar co-op that pays its admins like royalty and the workers like serfs.

I've had much more challenging roles for better money and better benefits.

Advice to Management

Focus on the growers, not your self-vision. They are who should get more of the money instead of spending on more and more executive layers. Giving yourself better job titles does not translate into better company performance - just less work for you.

Jun 13, 2017 – Community Manager

Blue Diamond remains committed to deliver competitive financial distributions to the small family California growers who entrust us with their almonds. In order to have provided a grower return... More

6. "Previous employee"

Former Employee - Security Department Lead in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Security Department Lead in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Decent benefits. Good work associates, at least most of them. Most leads good to work with and understanding and helpful.

Cons

Last minute OT requests. Higher ups not in touch with how work is actually done. Unrealistic goals. An or else attitude.

Advice to Management

Learn the procedures better. Don't make promises to your employees and then drag them on and not give them the promotion you promised.

Apr 19, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for recommending Blue Diamond. We take your feedback seriously and strive to create a positive work atmosphere at every level of our operation. Though you are no longer employed with us... More

"Great Company! Great Culture! Lots of Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Culture
    Products you can believe in
    Lots of opportunity to have your voice heard and make a difference
    Amazing location in Sacramento (close to restaurants, coffee shops, entertainment)

Cons

Growing fast. Can be a challenge if you haven't experienced a high growth company previously.
    Coop ownership style sometimes causes challenges

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Mar 20, 2017 – Blue Diamond Growers Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your great experience with us! We realize that with any growth there are changes but we remain true to our values of integrity, partnership, innovation and quality as we have... More

"Discriminatory Hiring Practices"

Former Employee - Workday Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Workday Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Blue Diamond Growers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pro/con: Lots of opportunity with nearly all of management retiring in the next few years.

Con/pro: nearly all of these tenured managers is set in their ways.

Cons

70+ days from application to offer letter. Discriminatory hiring practices as of new legislation effective Jan. 1, 2017 and their Human Resources department is either ill-informed or they simply think they can conduct business under the radar without recourse.

To the point where they refuse to provide or communicate their legal representives on more than 3+ occasions. As of late, labor lawyers have still yet to have their inquiries responded to.

I would caution any millenials, or anyone looking to grow their career here. This is not a forward-thinking organization and expect resistance from day 1.

Advice to Management

For reputable growth and market sustainability, I would recommend educating those in leadership roles or simply clean-house. This archaci mindset festers within.

Mar 16, 2017

At Blue Diamond Growers, we care very much about our employees' experience and that of those with whom we are engaged regarding employment opportunities. We believe this review is from an... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Modesto, CA

Pros

As a 12 year employee of this organization I have seen a wealth of change and it is always for the better. We have grown exponentially over the past 5 years and with that growth we have made a lot of improvements. Facility improvements, process improvements and most importantly we are investing in our team members to ensure we sustain that growth and continue to be the leader in our industry. This is a good place to work if you want to make a positive change and be a part of something special.

Cons

There is a lot of change happening and challenges that are being worked on to take us to the next level.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your team members

Jan 3, 2017 – Blue Diamond Growers Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your great experience with us. We love hearing feedback!

"Perfect Time to Be with Blue Diamond Growers"

Pros

Almonds are so much on trend and have a longstanding, sustainable health and wellness halo. Supply and Demand are in productive balance. BDG branded opportunities for almond based foods are endless. Leadership is committed to global growth and Innovation. People are genuine and great to work with. This organization is poised for big growth and individual opportunity. Campus in Sacramento is in a beautiful for walking to great restaurants and coffee houses. Salary and benefits are competitive with larger companies.

Cons

Just a little behind the average on "Personal Time Off", vacation days, and paid holidays. Still good, but the only slight weak spot.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the friendly, entrepreneurial, fun environment in the face of ever increasing business and people demands.