Blue Fountain Media Marketing Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Fountain Media CEO & Founder Gabriel Shaoolian
Gabriel Shaoolian

Pros
Cons
  • Typical long hours of the agency world (in 8 reviews)

• BFM has a fast paced environment, so if you are not ready to learn, act & get responsibilities fast, then this might not be the place for you (in 3 reviews)

1. "Corporate Marketing Associate"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great stepping stone for new comers to the web design/digital marketing industry. There is a lot to learn, and a great group of people to learn it from. Absorb as much as you can.

Cons

Some structural and communication challenges.

"Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours and environment. They allow you to work from home as well.

Cons

Very disorganized and management can be very unprofessional.

"Disaster Area - Definitely Avoid"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You may learn a lot, depending on who your immediate manager is.
    - Get lots of responsibilities fast. For example, you may get dragged into a meeting and given a new title to impress clients.
    - The company is getting bigger and giving better benefits.
    - Not as crazy as it used to be.
    - If you like working from home and working with a hangover, you will do great.

Cons

- Pays well below market.
    - They outsource a lot. Don't expect work you can be proud of.
    - Some salespeople overpromise, or don't know what they're talking about. Not all!
    - Weird company drinking culture. You're going to be good friends with the bartender at Desmond's.
    - CEO's weird overpromise / underdeliver culture permeates the company.
    - Some people are impossible to fire. You notice this because you want them fired.
    - May be a pro or a con, but employee outings (not officially sanctioned, but with senior employees) have involved the cops getting called more than once, and an ambulance called at least once. No fire department, so that's good.

Advice to Management

Hire adult supervision, delegate to them, retire.

"Fast-paced and growing company"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team at BFM works together to grow as a whole. Many individuals come to the company with a specialized skill with little experience in other areas of marketing. BFM encourages employees to share such skills with others on the team, while expanding upon one's own skill set into other specialties.

Cons

If an individual is not seeking a fast-paced and educational work environment, this may not be the place for them.

"A Tough Place To Do Good Work"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic and young team. Decent office location, good internet connection, a surprising number of smart people around.

Cons

Management that is disorganized and obsessed with loyalty to the point of alienating key staff members. People tend to quit rather quickly.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more. Put good, quality work above short term gains.

Blue Fountain Media Response

Jan 21, 2014

We believe this person is posting multiple negative reviews. Can you kindly review and if so, take down the extra ones?

"Fun environment, challenging work and great management"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non-stop learning type of hands-on environment, great clients and challenging/interesting projects, having the freedom to be myself and contribute to the greater good of the company (open door policy with CEO and anonymous suggestion box in the break room) Multi-cultural staff and celebrations, great location to work in and very accessible commute

Cons

Can't really think of any cons as I really enjoy working here... perhaps having more options on where to meet and take a break from the computer screen?

Advice to Management

My manager asked me during my first month how I learn best, what motivates me, and what I think my strengths and weaknesses are... I think that all departments should be implementing this sort of check-in and management should mandate it be part of the recruitment process. It can only help people be better versions of themselves

"Going downhill fast"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that made this company a great place to work have all left, but there is flex-time and decent PTO.

Cons

Unorganized - mismanaged accounts - CEO is digitally illiterate and his weekly speeches are embarrassing to watch - Marketing dept has poor leadership and does not foster a cohesive work environment. Recently the CEO said the company was getting bigger and better clients and lots of work was coming in, yet in the very next moment handed it over to the CFO to tell us all that we would not be getting a 401K plan due to the overhead. His statement each week regarding the company plan is "Do good work, and we will grow, that's our plan" Literally, that's it. It's a very negative space to work in.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO - employees leave the weekly meetings demoralized by listening to him speak. They think he is an idiot, and they would be correct. Employees have been leaving the company each week for months and it will only increase as the culture and functioning continue to fall apart.

"I grew at Blue Fountain Media. The company gave me a chance like none other."

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be given a chance to prove yourself, rather than climb the corporate ladder, BFM is the right place. The company trains entry-level employees and turns them into superstars. They have a training program that they put new-comers through, which guarantees a certain level of quality and also weeds out anyone who is not up to the task. Promotions are based on merit over anything else. The company has grown tremendously in the past few years, but maintains a nice, chill, start-up vibe.

The company has a flex-time policy which allows employees to take 2 hrs out of the typical 9-5 day and use it as they please.

Cons

Although work hours are very flexible, quality standards are stringent. This results in long hours at times and a need to have meticulous attention to detail.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing employees to innovate and further invest in their training.

"Great company to work for, perfect place to begin a career in online marketing."

Current Employee - Online Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

Great opportunities for on the job training and advancement at any skill level. Management is very results oriented, and will collaborate with specialists to improve results. Employees will learn how to develop, design, and market winning e-commerce websites.

Cons

Primary focus is almost entirely on SEO, with Word-of-mouth and social media marketing often left outside scope of work. Since online marketing is limited to SEO, communication about goals outside of e-commerce are a source of confusion for clients.

Advice to Management

Communicate the value of online marketing outside of SEO, and hire more marketing/PR oriented specialists who can help provide communication services. Become a more fully featured communications agency, not just development/design oriented