Blue Fountain Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Fountain Media CEO & Founder Gabriel Shaoolian
Gabriel Shaoolian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Typical long hours of the agency world (in 8 reviews)

• BFM has a fast paced environment, so if you are not ready to learn, act & get responsibilities fast, then this might not be the place for you (in 3 reviews)

1. "marketing"

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time

Pros

great, great, great work environment

Cons

it is not necessary to complain

"Maybe If You're Entry-Level..."

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time

Pros

There honestly are not many pros for this company. There are some great minds and talent here, but some of their work cannot be done properly due to poor client base or lack of senior leadership above them. It's a pretty tough place to really get behind, and from working there, most of the 5 star reviews are completely fake and put there by internal resources that are asked to do it.

Cons

Gabe is definitely not easy in the office. From outbursts and yelling to a sales first attitude, the learning curve can become difficult for some. They've held "trainings" which you'd think you learn something new, but in the end it's a meeting where you're being asked to sell more to clients.

Depending on your dept it can be difficult to get proper work done. There's a sales team whose job is just to close the door and bring in work, which ultimately sets the teams up for failure because promises are set at that point to a client with a price in mind. This sets a tone upfront so up to the employees to make sure it's then handled properly afterwards...

Desktops are burdensome and old and when you walk in it's like being chained to your desk with the computers. The tablets might be a nice to have, but still made it difficult to work efficiently. Management as a whole can be a detriment. The culture there can be very immature at times too which can make it difficult for some to get behind and believe.

Overall, office morale is low with a high turnover rate. Many people who come in from real jobs outside leave quickly when they see what it's really like v. what is promised/explained in job descriptions and interviews. Interviewer beware.

Advice to Management

If you say you're a top "agency" then show up to the table properly. Pay people what they deserve, treat employees how they should. Maybe look to recycle all that old junk that are "computers" and look into upping the office which was promised almost a year ago. Stop being a website chop shop and build up teams without overpromising to clients first to figure it out later.

"A joke"

Pros

A terrible agency.
    You get paid on time.
    Working remote.
    Rarely water or heat so office closes.
    Quiet office due to bad work

Cons

Bad management, bleeding clients, short staffed and unethical work with clients.
    Everything about this place. Desktops no laptops, Bad IT.

Advice to Management

Try harder

"Hated it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

stepping stone to my real job

Cons

- horrible management
    -horrible CEO
    - no benefits
    - clients were a joke
    - my boss would LIE

"HAHAHA DON'T EVEN BOTHER!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Nothing to share here. Unless you like working in Hell.

Cons

Mangement: Terrible, terrible, terrible. Do as I say, not as I do. I have been threatened almost every single day that I will lose my job. That's fine. Being fired would feel like being let out of prision.

Marketing: Brilliant minds here but are constantly silenced by Gabe. He knows better. He is the All Mighty God here. If you do not praise him and constantly feed his ego, you will not be liked. You will be fired.

HR: Forget it. More like whatever you tell them, they tell everyone else. Crap benefits.

Clients: Subpar. Trying to get to Enterprise level work will not happen here.

Advice to Management

Just close up shop.

"An awful place to work"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to share here.

Cons

- Unprofessional Leadership: The most tyrannical CEO I have ever encountered. Cursing out clients and employers alike, this was normal happenings and behavior at BFM.

- Low morale across departments: Using the aforementioned fear tactics to work employees to the bone. A MAJORITY of employees I spoke with lived in constant fear of being fired at any given time - as this was common place at BFM.

- High chance of being mislead and empty promises regarding career opportunities: My hiring manager promised IN my interview that I would be managing a group since we were being acquired and thus, be growing. Instead, I was let go after 6 months because of said acquirement.

- Unhygienic work place part I: BFM didn't have running water for over a week. No one expedited the issue and expected women to use the men's restroom and hand sanitizer in the interim.

- Unhygienic work place part 2: They had a perpetual rodent problem.

- Lack of culture: Very rarely would people have actual conversations. All communication was conducted over Skype which gave no room for camaraderie. I was practically fired over Skype; HR sent me a message, "Can you meet me in my office, I'm here with your boss :-(" Yes, I was sent a sad face emoji. My department, which sat together, rarely spoke to me in person and opted to Skype me instead which was polarizing.

- Incredibly cramped office space: You're bumping elbows with people. However, this is a drop in the bucket compared to terrible leadership, the unhygienic work space and unnatural way of communicating with fellow co-workers.

- Bagel Mondays but no bagel toaster, enough said.

"Don't bother"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The rank and file were highly talented people.

Cons

Leadership is a joke. Bare bones "benefits." Very little investment in human capital, nevermind the tools needed to do the work!

"Good experience"

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time

Pros

Overall good experience. You learn a lot and not as demanding as other agencies

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

"Great for Learning, Company needs to Apply the Lessons"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time

Pros

BFM has some of the most talented and easy to work with employees, especially in marketing. The marketing directors are easy to talk to with their own strengths, and if you get lucky, you get one that cares about the employees' growth and satisfaction just as much as the client's. ADs are very knowledgeable, and for the most part, people are willing to be team players, inside and outside of the office. If you produce good work, your manager is usually flexible, and they appreciate and understand work life balance(though there are some really long nights). It is a great training ground.

Cons

The best thing that BFM has is it's employees. Nurturing them, supporting them, encouraging outside training, and making sure that they always feel supported professionally is not always valued the way it should be. The current structure of paying low and treating people as bodies rather than talent is not as much of a savings as intended if turnover rate is high and training time is incorporated. Also, clients should be vetted more. ADs, MMs and Director's are often penalized for the lack of foresight that BDs have when pitching and signing on clients.

Advice to Management

Obviously the people are the company's best asset. Nurturing their growth, assigning them to clients that will reflect and build their strengths rather than random client's based on bandwidth, and showing their value based on their work from the top up are weaknesses here. Also, not all money is good money. Hasty vetting and quick closing leads to clients who sometimes aren't ready to grow or for an agency, abandoned projects, wasted talent, and situations where employees aren't secure in their positions with the company.

"No vision (or leadership)"

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time

Pros

Competitive salary.
    Interesting clients.
    Smart staff.
    Margarita Mondays.

Cons

No vision or focus from the CEO. The client base is so scattered there is no single vertical to say "we're really great at this one thing". No real partnership or brand building, just one-off projects and a lot of startups without the time or money to do their due diligence. Pigeon holed groups don't work in shared spaces, or share ideas.

Advice to Management

Find a CEO with leadership skills, not a comic book artist.