Blue (Illinois) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue (Illinois) President Wrinardo McKennedy
Wrinardo McKennedy

1. "Blue, Inc. Consultant Manager"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Blue (Illinois) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity is amazing. You do not have to wait for growth or promotion based on seniority since there is enough room for all to grow. The atmosphere is fun and the employees are all fun, hard working, dedicated employees that are there to build a future. Blue, Inc. is an awesome company to work for and I would not say that if it were not true, or else I would not still be working there two years later.

Cons

The hours can be long sometimes but worth it for my future.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to make sure the business keeps advancing and opening new offices.

"Be Sure to make an Informed Decision when considering Blue"

Former Employee - Account Manager and Recruiter in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager and Recruiter in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Blue (Illinois) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blue has an awesome culture! Everyone there works extremely hard! The CEO is a great guy that wants to see his team succeed. I worked here for almost a year in two different roles; the Account Manager Role as well as a "Recruiter". The account Manager roles is 100% commission, door to door sales, where you work 12 hour shifts. Some people make great money in this role. I then moved in the office as a "recruiter"; I put this in quotations because it was basically a telemarketing role.

Cons

The biggest con for me would be pay and their recruitment strategies. I hate to say this, but as a "recruiter" I was consistently asked to lie to candidates about the pay structure and the reality of the account manager role. This company will hire any and everyone as long as you can past a background screening. I tried to be professional and give a two weeks' notice; once I did, everyone started to treat me differently and I just left. I called off work one time sick and management consistently called me to make sure I was sick and not considering another role. I would strongly recommend that anyone considering a job hear to do your research and ask a ton of questions during your interview process.

Advice to Management

Be honest with new hires; let them know upfront that it is a job that pays 100% commission with no vacation time, no sick time and no benefits.

3. "The experience is invaluable and it provides a stable, long-term challenging career path..."

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Blue (Illinois) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training and the care that is put into each employee by management is great. I always get coaching and feedback from my team leaders and management. I came out of college with an engineering degree and a lot of companies wanted me to have 3-5 years of experience, however they didn't provide the training to gain the experience needed. Blue, Inc. from the onset, told me what I had to do in order for me to get promoted into a management position, and the training process makes sense because it's progressional. I'd never though about doing sales and direct marketing before because the idea of rejection isn't appealing, but I figured I'd just try it out and see how it goes, and I started doing really well. There are clear-cut goals to hit, and yes it's a challenge to accomplish, but what's a goal if it's easy to reach?

Unlike other people, I was looking for a position to pay me based on my performance, because I wanted to control my income and make more money than the average person, and sales positions are the ones that allow for this to happen. My second week in the business I did 4 sales and made $750 in my second week after never doing sales before. Since I've been with the company, the commission structure has increased, and they have begun giving bonuses based on the number of sales done for the week. They do a lot of competitions and challenges. I get recognized for my results daily. They even started running car payment bonuses where they will give $300 towards a person's car payment or rent for hitting a certain target during the week.
    I've been with the company for about 3 months now, and I've already travelled 3 times with the company and received recognition from AT&T 6 times within that time frame.

I am excited about my future here, and even if I don't get to management, I will leave with valuable work experience that I can take anywhere; work experience that other companies would not provide for me.

Cons

The hours are different than I've worked before, so I get to wake up a little later than usual so I get home later than I've been used to. Also my commute is further than most people because I live 45 min away, but I chose to work here, so I guess that's my fault.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people. Obviously what you do is hard work and not everyone is cut out for the position. I know you want to give people a chance who may not normally get a opportunity, but be more picky when it comes to who you hire and fire because people who aren't getting the job done bring down the morale of the office. I know you have a soft heart, but business is tough some times, so don't be afraid to sever the relationship with unproductive and unmotivated people. Some people are just looking for a JOB, you should hire people that are looking for an OPPORTUNITY. People that are just looking for a job won't understand the benefit of working with your company.

"not the company for you"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Blue (Illinois) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

meet some nice people while working.

Cons

no base salary. 6 days a week of working. 8am-8pm hours. spend more time at work than with family.

Advice to Management

hire better management. havent promoted in a while.

"Door to Door sales in a barley legal pyramid scheme."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Blue (Illinois) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are all younger and generally nice to be around, but part of the point of this ruse is to lessen the blow of how awful it is being a door to door salesman for 9 hours a day. Also, most of the people here are too young and naive to realize they have been deceived. Once they "wake up" and realize it, they quit in short order. Turnover rate here is CRAZY. After 2 months almost nobody was still there that was working when I started.

Cons

First off, they are not even remotely transparent about what the company actually does during the interview process. I did not realize until my "2nd Interview", job shadowing that it would involve being a sleazy, door to door salesman expected to walk 10 miles a day in an attempt to sign an "app". What was really funny is new people who would quit right at the beginning of their job shadow, and who can blame them? I doubt many people would jump for joy at the prospect of having doors slammed in your face for 8 hours a day. Most of the territories they put you in have already been worked to death by others, so the people are pretty pissed off before you even get a word in.

Pay? What pay, it is 100% straight commission with no benefits, travel compensation, or anything else at all. Considering you are working 60 hours weeks everyday except Sunday, you are averaging well below minimum wage for your efforts. McDonald's would probably be a far better financial option. Plus, how would you like trying to be a door to door salesman in the dead of Chicago winter? They would send you out in a blizzard as they really don't care and have nothing invested in your success. They do not pay you anything unless you make money for them, and trust me when I tell you that working your tail off for 9 hours and making zilch is enough to trash the spirits of anyone.

This place is so unethical it would be funny if it were not so sad. Do your research about these types of companies people. You are not going to advance your career by slaving away in a door to door sweatshop.

Advice to Management

In the year 2015, it is hard to believe a door to door sales cult even still exists. After doing some research on the parent company of these employment scams (Cydcor, formerly DS Max) and seeing the thousands of negative reviews, it is even more difficult to believe this nonsense still exists.

You are able to thrive by using people who are either too naive or stupid to know better, and that makes you a truly sad human being indeed.

6. "An Opportunity vs. A Job"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Blue (Illinois) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upbeat work environment, large amount of experience gained, great people to work with, forward thinking company, management very open to listening to everyone, lots of freedom to make my own decisions, in-depth training

Cons

challenging if not willing to work hard or looking for just a job, time off is dependent on the person and how quickly that person wants to move up in the company, every day counts towards growth, not a lot of slack-off time

Advice to Management

Keep pushing people! If they can't handle it, they're not going to be able to succeed in the business anyway.

7. "Gave me an opportunity"

Former Employee - Management Training Program in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management Training Program in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue (Illinois) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management, Great mentoring, Great training program, Great Culture. This company gave me an opportunity to grow. I started in the entry level in 2010 and was promoted to management in 2012. I have been running a successful company in North Carolina ever since. It was all thanks to the training program at Blue inc.

Cons

You do have to put in the hours and the work.

Advice to Management

Keep passing on the opportunity.

8. "The interview Process is ideal!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Blue (Illinois) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Process of the interview gives you more information on the overall company as well as what you see yourself doing in the future. By meeting with the President as well one of the top reps in the office you get a better understanding of the position as well as the great opportunity Blue Inc. has to offer.

Cons

Some of the challenges with the interview process was just not having enough well thought out answers for their very unique questions. They were fun as well as very intriguing helped me figure out some things about myself as well.

Advice to Management

More answers to the work-life balance would be great. It is a career evoking experience so just be prepared for the ride and hold!

"Its a sales job."

Current Employee - Account Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Blue (Illinois) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money is a short amount of time.

Cons

They require you to spend over 60+ hours a week on work and and work related activities. The manage and senior staff will lie and be dishonest with employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and honest about what the job is and everything that it encompasses from the beginning.

10. "AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!"

I worked at Blue (Illinois) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my experience at Blue!!! The amount of information and development I obtained from Blue, Inc. was incredible. In just under a year I had the opportunity to learn and execute various sales and marketing tactics, train and develop other individuals, and interview people to see if they would be a good fit for the company!! From learning how to drive revenue through developed sales skills to learning how to give a presentation to clients and customers I know that I am much more valuable than I was when I started at Blue!. If you're looking to make yourself a more professional and marketable person this is a great place to achieve those goals!!!

Cons

No cons... You just have to work hard and you will gain valuable skills and experience!!!

Advice to Management

Management is AWESOME. Very personal and make you feel like you are more than just an employee, treat you like family!