Blue Shield Of California Reviews in El Dorado Hills, CA | Glassdoor

El Dorado Hills, CA

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company values work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

• probationary period we can work from home 2 days out of the week (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance and constant company-wide reorgs contributing to so much chaos (in 36 reviews)

• Absolutely NO work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work"

Former Employee - Internal Communications, Writer in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Communications, Writer in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair wages; decent benefits, retirement plans for most, flexible schedules, work from home (for certain job types)

Cons

Leadership has undergone many changes which puts employees on edge (or at least those uncomfortable with change)

Advice to Management

Continue your proactive approach with employees - focus on keeping it real - they already know what's happening they just want confirmation from the top on the facts.

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

Thanks for sharing your experience as an employee and we’re glad you enjoyed your time with the company. Senior Manager

2. "Senior Quality Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Quality Assurance in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Quality Assurance in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive, Teamwork, Benefits, Work and Life Balance, Nice Facilities

Cons

Challenges with other job opportunities

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

Thanks for your feedback. This year we launched Taleo, and it’s recommended for all employees to update their profile, which allows recruiters to match candidates to open roles based on... More

"Senior Business analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to learn and grow. There is advancement opportunities. You can learn a lot in the health insurance world. Loved the people i work with and the projects I have worked on.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Salary jobs and you work more than 8 hours a day on a regular basis with no compensation. Benefits are pricy when you consider you work for a insurance company. New leadership and they don't care about their employees anymore. They got rid of the retirement package far anyone under 40 regardless of how long they had been with the company. No longer a company to have a long term career at.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your people for their strengths, hard work and dedication. Get in the trenches and do some of the work and see first hand the difficulties. Help the employees get their voices heard to the higher up executives.

Jul 10, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

Thanks for sharing your experience. Most recently we launched a two-week employee challenge to get ideas to help bust bureaucracy, and continue to make Blue Shield of California a great place to... More

"Roll the Dice..."

Current Employee - IT Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are average (except for the pension, which they no longer offer to new employees). The company mission, vision, and values that the top leadership sends out sound great and are followed by many employees in the company.

Cons

You will be rolling the dice when considering this employer. You might get lucky or you might spend a few years in a very toxic environment. Recommend you find an employer that has a higher bar for their middle management.

While most of the top leadership seem to be aligned in pointing the company in a good direction, the gulf between the VPs and the Directors/Managers allows the latter to effectively run the company. This results in some groups having great experiences and others having very toxic and detrimental experiences. Blue Shield Values are not practiced by many Directors/Managers, and since the HR department is the weakest I have ever seen, no one is held accountable for their negative actions, forcing good talent to find a better company.

Advice to Management

VPs - Hold skip level meetings with your managers... and REALLY listen. Hold skip level meetings with your troops and REALLY listen so you can get a clear picture of what your middle management is doing and then clean house at hose ranks to remove 'leaders' that don't reflect the stated BSC values.

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

We’re sorry you feel that this has been a negative work experience. We encourage you to speak with your manager, or an HR representative, about this as soon as possible. Senior Manager

"Not a place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are high but if they weren't there would be a mass exodus

Cons

Bureaucracy, leaders who don't know how to lead, competing priorities, budgets that aren't focused on the most meaningful work

Advice to Management

people are looking to you to set our direction and too many competing priorities get in the way

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Decline to State in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Decline to State in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, employees are truly engaged and committed to the mission. There are great managers, great teams, projects and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Frequent turnovers in senior leadership has resulted in a culture of frequent and repeated reorganizations and an atmosphere of instability in some areas. Employee benefits continue to erode with mandatory PTO use during periodic shutdowns, downsizing of employees with high PTO balances or pension vesting, and downgrading salaries are primary tools for cost reduction.

Advice to Management

Recognize value in experience. Treat employees as thought they actually matter.

7. "Batch / NOC Operations, Infrastructure Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation given

Cons

Lots of "silos" within the IT infrastructure

"Great Work life balance"

Current Contractor - Senior Sourcing Specialist in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Sourcing Specialist in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, easy commute, management strives to be transparent, aspires to be best place to work, frequent team engagement off-sites , team work is encouraged

Cons

lack of clear accountability a lot of hands in vendor management, contracts ownership very fragmented. Very wordy processes with a lot of non-value, could use some serious streamlining

Advice to Management

keep moving forward, I see good things around the corner, appreciate your transparency, continue to welcome and hire outside of healthcare to give healthcare a new fresh perspective on how to run more efficiently.

"There are pros and cons everywhere"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people here
    Pay is set at market level when starting, if you negotiate well
    Your experience will depend in large part on your supervisor, manager and director. The business makes a lot of decisions and IT is left holding the bag without the necessary partnership and support. Health coverage is decent, 401k contributions are matched at 4% and the company adds another 2% to all non-pension employees. There is also a possible 1% match if the company meets certain goals. Annual bonus, but last two years, bonus payout has been low, 65-75% of target. PTO is 18 days to start in IT.

Cons

Disorganized, decentralized and silo'ed. The way this company is structured makes it very hard to work effectively. There are tons of seperate teams and everytime something comes up, you need to get multiple teams involved to get something solved. People are protective of their turf and don't care about helping others. Tons of bureaucracy and HR won't make difficult decisions to jettison low performing employees. Last year, I got a 3% raise when I had a "Average" rating. This year, I got an above average rating and another 3% raise. What was the reward for the higher rating?

Advice to Management

Restructure the organization. I don't see the current structure working. The same problems I saw 2 years ago are still in place.

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We’re sorry that you feel teams are decentralized. We’d love to hear your thoughts on solutions to improve productivity. Please reach out to me at... More

10. "Customer Experience Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience for summer internship. Had multiple opportunities to travel to San Francisco for intern activities. CEO had a short sit-down meeting with the interns.

Cons

Didn't seem like there was much of a pipeline to full-time employment through the internship program.