Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance, value the employee" (in 74 reviews)

• "Most people have the flexibility to work from home some days/full time" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. In my 10+ years, I never woke up not wanting to go to work and I enjoyed the work that I did. The pay and benefits are good (unfortunately the pension was eliminated for people under 40).

Cons

Though the work was enjoyable, we did work hard. The normal work week was 45-55 hours and sometimes that included weekends. However, our hard work was always recognized.

Advice to Management

Sr management should try to be more transparent.

2. "Best place to work!"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is great
    The people you work with are very helpful
    The training class is very thorough
    LOTS of potlucks
    The job is easy if you show empathy
    Work is M-F

Cons

Not a lot of overtime is given

Sep 19, 2018 – Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review. We’re glad that you enjoyed the team you worked with and the opportunities that were offered to you during your time here.

3. "Better every year"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedules, good salaries

Cons

Constantly changing management, very bureaucratic and hard to get things done quickly.

Sep 19, 2018 – Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review. We’re glad that you enjoy the flexibility schedule and benefits we offer. We encourage you to speak with your manager or HR representative... More

4. "Great mission, thoughtful co-workers and honest support for flexibility!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BSC walks the talk about being flexible with staff. Leadership is taken seriously and leaders are expected to grow in their craft of leading. There are lots of opportunities to work outside your normal area of expertise, and people listen when you make suggestions.

Cons

The downtown SF location is a bit weary looking. And you have to believe in the mandate and mission - healthcare is in crisis in the U.S. and we are working to make it better and affordable, but you have to care about this - for some the insurance industry is not exciting, but if you care about this urgent issue, you can't help but feel proud to work here.

Advice to Management

Think big and keep momentum up.

Sep 19, 2018 – Community Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review. We’re glad that you enjoy the opportunities we provide and the hard work of our leadership team. We know that our industry can be frustrating at times, but we remain... More

5. "C level executives on rotating doors"

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Flexible telecommute, decent pay range, public transport accessible for corporate location.

Cons

Each new management changes direction and wipes processes that were just put in place. C executives and VP s come and go every 2-3 years just there long enough to claim some change and leave with a fat package. CEO sounds genuine but reality below is not supporting the best place to work other than to score better with bandaids. Lay offs affect retained knowledge and kill morale. Constant new hires having to reinvent everything all over again when process was already there so every time a director or manager turns (which is usually every 1.5 - 2 years) over, the cycle starts again. Always scrambling to figure out what exactly they are supposed to do. Dueling management would rather let another team fail to prove something rather than work together to fix it. They don't have the company or the member's interest at heart at all even though they spout how mission driven they are.
    Hires outside consultants to do work the people in that role should know then claims that as a win when they've spent that much money yet the team still don't know how to do the work. Unbelievable.

Advice to Management

Why do the VP s and c suite levels never here long enough to stick to their vision and change?
    Why do the directors pit against each other?
    Why does the CEO sound like everything is great when discord bubbles below then wipe the slate with reorganizing and lay offs only to start at a disadvantage again?
    Why do managers talk the talk but not walk the walk?

"Operations Billing Supervisor"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment . BALANCES WORK AND FAMILY LIFE WELL. CAN WORK FROM HOME.

Cons

Too many meetings not enough time to assist my staff

Advice to Management

Let the managers do the project management and let the Supervisors be readily available to their staff. Hire more Training and Development Associates so classroom training is piece work put together by reps and staff. Would be a lot more professional if more structure and less errors on computing and systems talking to other systems or even better a streamline process to gauge from start to finish IT issues.

Aug 29, 2018 – Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the environment here, as well as the work-life balance we proudly support. We also appreciate your feedback... More

7. "Ok"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Management can work on their approach better

Sep 19, 2018 – Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review. We’re glad that you’ve enjoyed your time with us, and are glad to have you as a part of our team. If you’d like to provide feedback regarding... More

8. "Clinical Support Coordinator"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and good benefits

Cons

Favoritism, not enough pay or promotion opportunities

"A Not-for-Profit in Name Only"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, good facilities, flexible work schedules for most people.

Cons

Arrogant, elitist and insular senior management. Extreme incompetence in the Information Technology division. Empty vision and promises ring hollow and drip with hypocrisy.

Advice to Management

You seek to motivate your employees with a mission statement that focuses on "ensuring all Californians have access to quality healthcare", yet you perpetuate the status quo. Let's face it, the mission statement is for show only - when you are making lots of money with the current system, along with all the other health insurance companies, ensuring massive bonuses for executives, what incentive do you have to ACTUALLY change the system in a substantive way that would benefit Californians? Executive bonuses should be tied directly to the company's effectiveness at lowering insurance costs - specifically premiums. The bonuses keep coming, but the premiums keep rising. That is a serious disconnect. Blue Shield is an insurance company - it actually provides care to no one. Every measurement of the company should be based on it's ability to lower or control premium costs. Period. Blue Shield, like other large health insurance companies, has made a lot of money the last 15 years. Insurance companies justify their premium increases by pointing at the high cost of health care - yet they do virtually nothing to control those costs. There is no real innovation or bold moves. The risk of being bold is high - the reward for remaining a sheep in the flock is high. Why change? Wait for the government to force change and blame them if things don't go right. Blue Shield is no different than other insurance companies. High paid execs are not going to risk their incomes for the sake of positive change.

10. "Not a Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OK wages, dedicated and friendly workers, remote work for certain job types.

Cons

Lots of facade, rampant levels of disabling politics, unqualified leadership created by nepotism and advancement through association at the highest levels, ever-changing inconsistent strategies, large investments in archaic technologies and solutions, low employee morale due to frequent layoffs, subtle retaliation and blacklisting of thinkers and doers, trouble attracting talent and an ornamental HR.

Advice to Management

Growth, mostly inorganic, seems to be the sole objective. The “Good Place to Work” slogan pushed mostly thru the hopeful newcomers. No company can sustain long-term healthy growth without strong backing of its workforce.