Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

4.4
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich
Pros
  • "Very flexible with employee's work life balance which makes the employees go beyond their job duties in times of emergencies(in 143 reviews)

• "customer phone support work from home(in 59 reviews)

• Cons
  • "work life balance is needed for improvement(in 50 reviews)

• "Upper management has been working to re-organize and that seems to have helped(in 38 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Shield Of California and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Inclusive team environment and compassionate leadership

Apr 16, 2021 - Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very smart, knowledgeable team members. There is no shortage of strategic thinkers. There is an expectation to deliver and be held accountable, which creates a strong organization. The leadership team is compassionate and smart - truly seems to care about the well being of their employees and their future growth.

Cons

While it's wonderful to be informed from all sides of the business, it is tough to prioritize the volume of meetings that get on our calendars. You truly have to be diligent about carving out work time for yourself. You have to be proactive at creating work-life balance due to the time spent in meetings.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Forward thinking leadership

May 13, 2021 - Benefits Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Agile and forward thinking entrepreneurial spirit and innovative environment

Cons

Not a con - a suggestion to ensure internal and external customers are sufficiently prepared to welcome change

3. 5.0

Great Place To Work

Apr 15, 2021 - Claims Processor in Redding, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

BSC really cares about the wellbeing of their employees. I love the people I work with - high-caliber colleagues. I enjoy working for a mission-focused company where everyone in the company, top to bottom, knows why we come to work every day and do what we do. The company is always striving to be better. Excellent opportunities for advancement, and the company has employees complete a professional development plan each year to help you get where you want to go. Great Benefits: paid time off, flex time and make up time to accommodate appointments, etc., sabbatical (4 straight weeks of paid leave after you're with the company for a few years), free college classes toward a degree, paid training, 401(k) matching contribution, retirement pension (after you're with the company a few years), to name a few.

Cons

You need to get used to constant change. This is not necessarily a con, but things are always changing as the company is mission-focused and always striving to be better. It also means some jobs will eventually be sacrificed and you need to be prepared to change with the times.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. ​We appreciate our employee's commitment to Blue Shield and our mission, so we're making a commitment to you. As we transform how work gets done, there will be impacts to jobs. We want to ensure that affected employees are supported in finding a new role. Consistent with our commitment to being a great place to do meaningful work, we're building a bridge to the workforce of the future. With Talent Bridge, employees affected by job eliminations have the opportunity to remain in their current role for up to 90 days and engage in job search and skills training activities with the support of certified professional Career Coaches. ​ Through high-touch support, high-impact learning programs, and a strong commitment to personal and career development at all levels, our goal is that all employees have the ability to effectively navigate the workplace changes of today and prepare for their career of tomorrow.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Poor management and high expectations

May 13, 2021 - I Would Rather Not Say, Particularly Small Group At the Company in Lodi, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great health benefits, sick days, bonus pay (if you qualify annually), a lot of company activities to take your mind off of work for a bit.

Cons

Hard to earn a decent raise, management is one sided per usual. They will not take the time to realistically examine how tough it is to meet their expectations on the floor. Their program being utilized to monitor our work is inaccurate but they refuse to look into it, they think it’s flawless. Oh by the way, if you’re near your retirement age or a long time worker GOODLUCK they will find a way to rid you.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overall good but watch out for PTO usage

Apr 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The company is actively working towards listening to employees on how to improve the work environment (a yearly survey is conducted to monitor the happiness of employees) -Yearly performance reviews that have possibility of raises and bonuses -Great benefits, healthcare for the family for a fraction of anywhere else I've worked -Room for advancement, there are always openings for higher up positions that often hire in house -Great starting pay -Company will pay for you to get degree -Most locations have a cafeteria on site (with pretty good food!), fitness center with showers, plenty of parking, and endless coffee in employee lounges.

Cons

-PTO is combined sick/vacation. With rare exceptions, if you don't have enough PTO, you can't take the time off without repercussions coming back at you (even if it's an emergency it can negatively affect your performance review). If there's one of those months where the kids are sick a few days, the dog needs to be picked up from surgery, mom needs a root canal, and the car breaks down; all that will eat away at your vacation. Missing days after you run out is a bad mark and enough will get you into some trouble.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Best Company to work in the World!

Mar 30, 2021 - Vice President Global Business Services in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I just completed my 12 years of service with Blue Shield of California. I have had the best time of my career working at Blue Shield. An environment that is a professional home away from home, and a place where one can grow personally, professionally and financially. Blue Shield Mission is inspirational, and with a great leadership team and 7,000 committed employees, it gets me up everyday from bed wanting to make a difference in the community we service and live in. I love the direction the organization is headed to make healthcare affordable, and deliver service that is worthy of family and friends. Everyday is a day to learn and experiment new things here at Blue Shield and as one delivers results, builds credibility and trust, empowerment drives the work and organization forward. Blue Shield has made a material difference to my family and life in many ways, and importantly makes me very proud and fortunate to work for a great organization.

Cons

Organization continues to work hard on the opportunity to prioritize and invest in driving innovation and transformation to bring practices of the future.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Truly a great place to work

Apr 22, 2021 - Operations Supervisor in Lodi, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Progressive company making huge strides to transform healthcare. Employees take pride in the work they do and are driven by the company mission and values. Our CEO is second to none. His passion for the work we do and his concern for the well being of our employees is evident in every action he and the senior leadership team take. Blue Shield of California has great time off programs and benefit packages, as well as a wide array of employee resource groups that promote diversity and inclusion.

Cons

May not be a good fit for someone who isn't comfortable with change.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. We are pleased to hear you're enjoying it at Blue Shield of California, along with our President and CEO, Paul Markovich!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Amazing company to work for

Mar 24, 2021 - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you work hard, you will not only be compensated each year via the performance review and rating system, but there are a lot of opportunities within the company to move up. In my 15 years at BSC, I have moved 5 times and each position has provided me with a new skillset that I didn't have before.

Cons

There aren't too many cons I can think of other than the company has worked really hard in the part few years to make the company into a great place to work. The work culture has changed for the better in the past 5-10 years and I applaud senior leadership for that. Also find a good manager that you can really work with. If you don't have a good relationship with your leader, I think it might be difficult to work and more stressful in the day to day.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

High Performing Managers and IC’s Beware

Mar 13, 2021 - Marketing Individual Contributor in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having the option to continue working remotely after the pandemic subsides because it means less bureaucracy to deal with.

Cons

If you’re a talented, driven professional who cares about the work you do then this isn’t the place for you. The internal bureaucracy and hierarchical structure creates misaligned business goals that don’t improve products or benefit members, but rather are designed to advance the careers of VP’s and Directors. This leads to toxic management practices that leave lower level managers and IC’s feeling frustrated, overworked, and confused. What’s worse is that the pressure and stress to meet exceedingly unrealistic goals seeps into your home life since you have to work long hours to achieve them, or you risk receiving a poor performance review. This produces a constant level of fear that negatively impacts your mental health and physical well-being. I know the job market is tough and competition is stiff but anyone considering Blue Shield should keep looking. Find a company with a functional organizational structure that actually offers a healthy workplace and tangible advancement opportunities. This place isn’t it.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company to work for. Focuses on the Member.

May 3, 2021 - Director in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are great, Sr. Leadership is good. CMO is on the right track!

Cons

There is a ton of bureaucracy that makes it difficult to do ones job. Leadership is doing what they can. However, there are some old school leaders that could not transform themselves out of a paperbag.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,168 Reviews