Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2020

4.1
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich
Pros
  • "Very flexible with employee's work life balance which makes the employees go beyond their job duties in times of emergencies(in 118 reviews)

• "There is flexibility to work from home at least 2 to 3 days in a week(in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Meaningful and purposeful"

Current Employee - CCR in Redding, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

During all the uncertainty going on in the world today: people sick, losing jobs, unable to feed their families, unsure what their next step will be…. I am blessed and forever thankful that I have the honor of working for a stable company that actually genuinely cares about their employees and the impact the decisions they make affect us. I am blessed to have been able to be given the tools so that I could begin working from home, which allows me to stay healthy and still provide for my family. I am a single mom and to not have to worry about how and if I will have the stability to continue providing for my child while all is falling apart around us, is something I can NEVER properly thank you or repay you for. You have also given us the tools to allow us to still provide service worthy of our family and friends. I have had numerous members express their thanks for us still being there for them, when they need it most and while there is so much changing in the healthcare system right now. They know we have their backs, and it’s because you have ours. When I came to work for Blue Shield, I knew the company was full of compassion and giving back, but to feel that on a personal level was something I was not prepared for. It is very rewarding to feel the work we do is meaningful and in turn makes a difference. We are given opportunities to grow, learn and even fall, with the support of getting back up. I will be Team Blue Shield for life. Thank you for providing an environment that I can thrive in!

Cons

None. Any concerns I have seen or witnessed were immediately addressed. I am very pleased with this company as a whole

2. COVID-19

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

To start with BSC when shelter in place felt a little nerve wrecking however, it was like the perfect storm. I couldn't have joined a better company and set of colleagues. They really care about employees and the morale in the workplace, although I started at such an interesting time, it has really been smooth sailing. The training, resources and team work is what has made my experience thus far amazing!

Cons

No cons right now, keep it up

Continue reading
  3. "Nice stable environment"

4.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment, collaborative, benefits

Cons

Can feel stagnant at times, a bit behind technologically.

"Amazing C-level leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer (Graphic Designer) in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary, flex work hours, impressive corporate citizenship participation, diversity and inclusion is a top priority, overwhelming consensus of pride in being Blue, health and wellness programs easily accessible and taken very seriously

Cons

Leadership is strong and a lot of time is dedicated in training managers, but there are still a few that need to focus on effective and clear communication with individual contributors.

5. "Great concept, needs more refinement"

4.0
    Current Employee - Shield Emerging Leader in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

- ability to experience various business units - meet very knowledgeable and intelligent individuals - work with different leaders - high visibility within the organization - allows you to understand how the different business units come together to offer our services/work towards our mission

Cons

- lacks structure and consistency - rotation matching process can be improved - not many rotations in the healthcare/community health area

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

In the midst of social and economic uncertainty, I have never worked for an organization courageous enough to take a position and proactively address the issues/concerns. It fills me with pride that BSC leaders are not just providing politically correct lip service. BSC demonstrates through its actions their core beliefs of transparency, inclusivity and leadership.

Cons

At this time, I do not have any negative comments for BSC, as every organization has internal operational challenges.

July 9, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. Our Leadership team strives to live by the organization values day in and day out - Human, Honest, and Courageous!

7. "It's a great place to work!"

Current Employee - FEP UM PART RN

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for many companies and Blue Shield Of California is hands down the best place to work! We have dedicated, loyal peers and the company takes pride in the communities that we serve. I want to retire here if I can.

Cons

Overtime compensation is not offered.

Continue reading
  8. "Health Plan with a Heart"

Current Employee - Program Manager, Reputation in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, mission-driven work, strong leadership and communication, good opportunities for grown and career development, great benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

It's a big company and that means that there is some bureaucracy

Continue reading
  9. "Good place to work, and it's only getting better!"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analysis in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great for me! There is a substantial discount on my health plan, as well as awesome benefits such as free undergrad and graduate degree programs from Ashford University, a paid sabbatical every 5 years and more! Management puts a lot of effort to make it a "great place to work" and I have been very happy for the last 4 years with their efforts!

Cons

Like any place, there are pockets/silos with some teams and departments. Upper management has been working to re-organize and that seems to have helped. There also are some pockets of politics, but again that is with any where you go. Overall, the good outweighs the bad. I feel my direct manager is genuinely interested in my growth and really fights for his team, and that is worth its weight in gold for me.

July 9, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. We're glad to hear you're enjoying it at Blue Shield of California and have a superb manager who is encouraging growth & development within your team!

10. COVID-19

"Amazing culture!"

Current Employee - Creative LEad in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined the team during the COVID-19 crisis. I thought it was going to be super hard to connect with people and get work done, but that hasn't been the case at all. Even though I haven't physically met most of my co-workers, I feel a strong connection to them much more than professionally. The culture here is really family-focused and built on strong relationships. I feel excited to do my job because my co-workers make it fun for me. The leadership has been extremely caring and transparent. There are ups and downs, but I have confidence in our team and company.

Cons

I started in March 2020, and I haven't seen anything negative worth noting.

July 9, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear you're enjoying it at Blue Shield of California, along with our Leadership team!

Found 926 reviews