Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Company values work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• probationary period we can work from home 2 days out of the week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance requires improvement (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management struggles with making solid decisions (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Blue Shield a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

Pros

Compensation is very good, benefits are good, work locations are clean and bright. Management is trying to make improvements around culture but they have a ways to go. Their HR VP is trying to increase the number of women and minorities in Sr; Level Management which means there is opportunity. People are extremely nice and supportive.

Cons

Since they are not publicly traded, all decisions in middle management take forever and are consensus driven. Even after a decision is made, because the organization has become so matrixed, nobody is held accountalbe for the decisions they make or deliverables they sign up for. Typical Corporate America, it is still who you know rather than what you know when it comes to advancement, but it is getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving the culture, you are doing a good job so far. Please take a look at the operational monster you have built in IT supporting your new platform, you will need to speed up the development process in order to cut your costs going forward.

Jul 28, 2016 – Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We’re committed to offering a diverse and inclusive workplace and are glad that you appreciate the efforts taken to improve company culture. We understand that you’re ... More

2. "Sr Manager Human Resource Business Partner"

Former Employee - Senior Manager Human Resource Business Partner in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of tools and models. Great people work there. The mission and vision is worth working hard for.

Cons

High turnover. Lack of cross collaboration.

Apr 19, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. We agree—our mission and vision are worth working hard for! Kathy Mason Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

"There are pros and cons everywhere"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people here
    Pay is set at market level when starting, if you negotiate well
    Your experience will depend in large part on your supervisor, manager and director. The business makes a lot of decisions and IT is left holding the bag without the necessary partnership and support. Health coverage is decent, 401k contributions are matched at 4% and the company adds another 2% to all non-pension employees. There is also a possible 1% match if the company meets certain goals. Annual bonus, but last two years, bonus payout has been low, 65-75% of target. PTO is 18 days to start in IT.

Cons

Disorganized, decentralized and silo'ed. The way this company is structured makes it very hard to work effectively. There are tons of seperate teams and everytime something comes up, you need to get multiple teams involved to get something solved. People are protective of their turf and don't care about helping others. Tons of bureaucracy and HR won't make difficult decisions to jettison low performing employees. Last year, I got a 3% raise when I had a "Average" rating. This year, I got an above average rating and another 3% raise. What was the reward for the higher rating?

Advice to Management

Restructure the organization. I don't see the current structure working. The same problems I saw 2 years ago are still in place.

"Not very exciting"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefit, flexible schedule, some good people to work with.

Cons

Ideal for people coasting to retirement.
    Bulky middle management, bureaucracy can be found here and there.

Apr 10, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. We think that we have good people to work with, too! Kathy Mason Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

"Issues with Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, good facilities, decent benefits

Cons

Leadership doesn't seem to understand or value the company's core services, very top-down organization, constant changes in organization structure, leadership lacks real vision, over-dependence on out-sourcing critical IT functions, hiring and promotions seems to favor style over substance - and who you know is more important than what you know.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to people who really understand your business. Blue Shield of California is an insurance company, not an internet company. Mobile apps and services are of little consequence when your core systems are unreliable. I would attribute most of the problems to a structure in the IT organization that seems to worship the outsourcing of IT functions to mostly offshore vendors. There is a huge and critical knowledge gap when working on IT-centric projects. The business is expected to understand the core system's table structure and coding - and give explicit instructions to the IT vendors about how to complete a project. This leads to a huge problem when trying to fix the myriad of system issues that are a natural part of a major system migration (which Blue Shield "completed" last year). Senior leadership seems to have no clue about how to manage fixes and enhancements. They seem to be driven by all the wrong reasons - generally short term cost savings instead of long term fixes. This hurts quality and drives up costs - two supposed pillars of achieving Blue Shield's mission. Health insurance is complex. It is critical for senior leadership to understand the complexities of their own business and to recognize and value the business knowledge of long time employees. Instead, they bring in new folks, many with backgrounds in internet-based businesses - many of whom don't know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, self-funded and underwritten accounts, let alone all the other nuances and complexities of health insurance in the United States. The whole situation is made worse because many senior and mid-level managers are reluctant to report bad news up the ladder - which keeps senior leadership even more in the dark.

Apr 5, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thank you for your review—you’ve put a lot of thought into it. I would like to discuss your feedback with you and forward it along to our senior leaders. Please contact me at ... More

"Used to be great"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Offices in major areas. Telecommuting.

Cons

Leadership has lost focus on what's important. There is an "us" and "them" and if you're part of some special group, you're an "us"..

Advice to Management

Move off the social programs and get back to business

Feb 14, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry that you feel we put too much importance on social programs. We are very proud of our Foundation and its goal to "Improve the lives of all Californians ... More

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, remote/telecommuting opportunity when it makes semse

Cons

Middle management tier (Manager to Senior Director) weak across the company. Promotions into those position appear to be based nearly solely on loyalty vs. competence

Micro-management is rampant, so many time wasters and box checkers for no meaningful ROI

Fear-based culture, employees are not empowered, not valued, not trusted

Advice to Management

Grow up.

Apr 5, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We are committed to being a Great Place to Work and we’ve invested in professional development training with both Manage to Excellence (M2X) and Lead to Excellence (L2X) for ... More

"claims departmenr"

Former Employee - Claims in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Claims in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, opportunities for advancement

Cons

not as many opportunities for advancement as there could be

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging

"Nepotism and Favoritism"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yes, it's one of the best paying jobs in our community. Yes, the benefit pacage is pretty amazing.

Cons

Lying - You have to lie to almost everyone, all the time.

System failures - Almost everyday one or more of the computer systems is experiencing a failure.

Unethical behavior - Supervisors and Managers make unethical decisions and penalize anyone who might call them out on it.

Out-right Unlawful Behavior - Yes, according to the ACA & DMHC the law is pretty clear, however, at Blue Shield the law is more of a guideline. Three days to make an Emergency Correction on a policy = Whenever you can get someone that knows the job and will make the correction, which can be upwards of 30+ days. 30 days to respond and close any inquiry = opening new cases with different dates or just closing the inquiry without corrections. (Yes, I have had to take my concerns to the DMHC and have met with an investor.)

Favoritism - They promote those that they like regardless of job experience, aptitude, or ability to perform the job well. The floor leads are hired out of other departments. They should know the job and support newer, inexperienced CSRs with cases and call scenarios. However, they can't. They don't know the job well enough to provide answers. Check Facebook: You will see your supervisor drinking it up at a house party with your manager.

Then they have different rules for different employees, altogether. I work with a CSR that cannot use the bathroom outside of the three scheduled breaks/lunches. He will be fired. There is another one that is not allowed in the building earlier than scheduled, but everyone else is allowed a 15 minute set up time.

I was promoted to my title of Senior CSR through skill, experience, and constantly demostrating above average and excellent job performance. However, they recently hired several group's of CSR that entered the building as Senior CSRs and started at a higher wage than those of us that were promoted through the ranks. So, yes, wages reflect favoritism as well.

Advice to Management

Please, please learn the law and audit the departments frequently to ensure compliance.

Please, stop the favoritism. Knowing someone is being promoted because they attended an after hours party is not okay. Knowing that newer people are being paid more is not okay. Knowing that a good CSR is on a PIP for something stupid or has different rules than others while other co-workers are giving out inaccurate information and are not being penalized is a hard pill to swallow.

Mar 20, 2017 – Senior Director Customer Care

Thank you for your concerns and feedback regarding Blue Shield of California. As part of our mission we are committed to the members we serve, which includes ensuring at all times we abide by ... More

"Blue Shield of California"

Former Employee - Lead IT Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead IT Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than 10 years)

Pros

BSC provides good salary and benefits.

Cons

Senior management team needs improvement.