Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 742 reviews

3.2
Blue Shield Of California CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich
Pros
  • "Opportunities to advance, work life balance, great benefits and culture(in 77 reviews)

• "Flexibility and ability to work from home a plus(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance could be challenging at times due to ambitious mission(in 42 reviews)

• "No work/life balance and constant company-wide reorgs contributing to so much chaos(in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company driven to make a difference!!!"

Current Employee - A Honest and Candid Employee

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

• Culture driven by an amazing mission to “Create a healthcare system worthy of our family and friends and sustainable affordable.” • Ability to make a difference and contribution towards our mission every day. If you are not in the best position to do that, then you can speak to management to do so. • No shortage of exciting work going on. Blue Shield of California has ambitious goals. Hard to achieve? Maybe. But isn’t...

Cons

• The healthcare system is complex. What seems like bureaucracy may in fact be everyone navigating through this complexity. • Transforming healthcare is not easy. Tough decisions and conversations are required to find the right balance. Not all decisions go your way. You need to understand that decisions support the overall mission. This is easier said than done. • A changing environment requires the need to be flexible...

Advice to Management

• Continue to value and reward your employees that demonstrate the ability, aspiration, and engagement each day they come to work. There are so many individuals and teams that work effortlessly towards our mission.

2. "What a great way to start at a entry level"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities

Cons

The traffic & not flexible with hours

Advice to Management

Nothing at all

3. "Company with Solid Values"

Current Employee - Shield Emerging Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Blue Shield is a nonprofit health plan, and they really live those values. This means that everyone who works here cares about serving our members. The company is also working hard to be a great place to work and have great leaders.

Cons

It's quite bureaucratic and can be dull. It can also be high stress at the same time.

4. "Change from the top does not filter down"

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

All the perks of a larger org. Flexible and steady working hours. Possible to thrive in a cross functional team with a focused goal and approved budget.

Cons

Culture - lot of disrespect, lack of transparency, many leaders do not ‘walk’ the talk.

Advice to Management

The annual surveys are bogus since most managers tell their staff that while they value honesty, bonus is partly decided by the overall ratings in the survey. Separate the 2 else you will never get a true pulse.

5. "Good pay. Unstructured. Heavy workload!"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great pay. Good benefits. Nice perks.

Cons

Unstructured. Heavy workload. No work life balance!

Advice to Management

Hire more staffs to have work life balance for your team!

6. "Fun"

Current Employee - Processor in Redding, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Fun and advancement opportunities invest in employees goof benefits

Cons

Not the best kind of sucks

Advice to Management

Get a life stop lying

"If it's your only option then take it but keep looking."

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Decent base pay with an annual TIP (bonus). Telecommute option available to some. Good matching on 401k, they had a pension plan but did away with it. I worked with some nice people that were sometimes subjected to unreasonable last minute demands and a silo'd infrastructure.

Cons

Political, power plays, disorganized, archaic technology, expensive health benefits considering your only option is a Blue Shield HMO or PPO plan. Layoffs about every other year. This is a left leaning company and if you don't lean that way then you'd better not voice any opposition or you could end up on the layoff list like I was.

Advice to Management

My boss, was good. His boss was good and his boss was good but everyone above that are more impressed with themselves than they ought to be. You can have your Great Place to Work surveys and tell people how much they matter but in the end when you have layoffs and don't make any changes as a result of the survey then sooner or later people are going to wise up. I am speaking from 40 years working in corporate America.

Blue Shield Of California Response

March 15, 2019TA Director

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We truly appreciate hearing different perspectives. We have developed initiatives like our Talent Bridge Program to help anyone whose position has been eliminated with training and career coaching to help them find new roles at ...

"On the way to becoming a great employer"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Benefits, culture, team community are great. Our mission is what brings everyone together!: We're working to change healthcare to be better for everyone. There are endless opportunities to learn and grow, if you know where to find them. Endless ideas for improvement bring a great deal of energy to company. I love working here.

Cons

Location by location, culture is pretty different. It feels like we've made plans for change, but don't always follow through. If you're not a skilled networker, this can be a difficult organization to thrive in and we don't always communicate well with our employees; it can feel like we design all communications for executive staff, not real people.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be more transparent about the future, and it would be nice to hear from the CEO and EVPs more frequently as an employee. I wish we shared more openly about our vulnerabilities and failures as an organization, we're missing out on great learning opportunities.

9. "Clinical Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Clinical Services Coordinator in Monterey Park, CA

Pros

The people make work more enjoyable

Cons

Can become monotonous at times

• "Offshoring and Outsourcing to Peggy in the Philippines"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Working for a non-profit company with great Customer Service, eligibility, underwriting, claims and billing while here in California and the states.

Cons

Outsourcing was expected to increase revenue for the Not so, Non Profit company so doors were being closed and Americans being shown the door while premiums went up along with executives salaries. and company revenue. Why pay Peggy in America $12/hr when you can pay Peggy in the Philippines $2/hr! Outsourcing has been the demise of good customer service with the lack of knowledge and language barrier. Outsourcing means...

Advice to Management

Bring jobs back don't just be a cog in the wheel

Found 742 reviews