KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.1
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and three additional holidays off than at my previous job.(in 184 reviews)
  • "The people there are great(in 130 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and schedule flexibility(in 106 reviews)
  • "Good pay and benefit offered to employees.(in 87 reviews)
  • "Remote work from home convenience and productivity higher(in 39 reviews)
Cons
  • "The biggest challenge for me was poor management.(in 61 reviews)
  • "Some managers don't engage their team at all for months and are shocked that the team isn't aware of changes in projects or policies.(in 59 reviews)
  • "Frequent turnovers in senior leadership has resulted in a culture of frequent and repeated reorganizations and an atmosphere of instability in some areas.(in 49 reviews)
  • "based culture(in 30 reviews)
  • "Current upper management does not think it is appropriate to promote people who know the process and have some leadership skills and could be mentored.(in 27 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Shield Of California and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years
    Featured Review

Mission Driven and Employee Focused Employer

May 19, 2022 - Finance Director in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Blue Shield of California is a non-profit organization that is committed to its mission to create a healthcare system that is worthy of our family and friends. It is refreshing to work for a company that has such a north star, and to work aside incredibly smart, talented, and genuine people, all committed towards the same purpose. On top of this, the company is extremely is also focused on the care and welfare of its employees. While healthcare is incredibly complex and challenging, it's these reasons why I stay and why I can't imagine working for any other company.

Cons

It's not easy to change an industry - at times this can be challenging as we are after change non-stop. If you're looking for a static or slow paced job, this is not for you.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Thank you for your review and for your hardworking efforts for 8+ as a Finance Director at Blue Shield. Our mission does not stop at our members; it extends to all Californians and beyond. We're proud to create a great place to work and will always choose to invest in our people, like you to help fulfill our ambitious mission and goals. While this industry can be challenging, we continue to transform and are committed to create change in healthcare.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Jul 6, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent training, caring staff, great company culture, very good benefits. Blue Shield of California is a wonderful place to work, and I highly recommend it.

Cons

Slightly lower pay than I expected, but everything else was top notch.

3. 5.0

Exceeds Expectations

Apr 14, 2022 - Customer Service in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I started working for BSC I thought I was going to be a drone at another soulless company. What I found was a sense of pride in my employer that I'd never felt before. I found myself engaging in the workplace, enjoying my work and my co-workers, and striving to build a career here. BSC is evolving to build a better future rather than allowing the future to mandate change. The company's response to COVID, access to mental health benefits, health rebate programs, flexible hours, and truncated work week demonstrate the value BSC places on its employees. It is an honor to work for a company that is so forward thinking.

Cons

Production metrics. A person can provide quantity or quality, but rarely both. I believe most people are happy to provide a higher level of customer care if they feel they have the time to do so. Fortunately, in recent months I see a trend toward quality metrics having more weight in performance evaluation, which is essential for an employer that demands excellence. Another problem is that there are so many talented and wonderful employees that it is hard to stand out among them. It is difficult to shine when everyone is a star.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good culture, constant restructuring

Jun 30, 2022 - Lead Financial Analyst in Oakley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Genuine care for members and mission. Employee-focused decision making - they want employees to be happy to come to work. Work-life balance is prioritized, including remote work (in the state of CA only). My manager was fantastic.

Cons

In the short few years I worked there, leadership decided to restructure the business model at least once per year, which led to a LOT of confusion and change management issues. The "red tape" of the insurance world slows down any aspirational progress the company attempts to achieve.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing!

Jun 28, 2022 - Customer Care Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved all of my coworkers and how well the company took care of me. If I didn’t have to move away I would still be there

Cons

There is some favoritism, make friends with upper management.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Thank you for your review and feedback as a customer care specialist for the last 6+ years. We are grateful for you and the care of our members. As named as a great place to work for two consecutive years, hearing about favoritism, we don't take lightly nor condone such behavior. I invite you to connect with me to provide further insight. Although, you are no longer with Blue Shield of California we wish you well in your future endeavors. - Julie Rodriguez (julie.rodriguez2@blueshieldca.com)

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Jul 5, 2022 - Call Center Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits , good support , friendly staff and supervisors . Remote .

Cons

Sitting for long hours on the phone none stop . Deal with a lot of angry members , very stressful at times overwhelmed by the non stop calls

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Jul 5, 2022 - Senior Operations Specialist in Monterey Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They are very conscious of their employees to balance work and life.

Cons

Benefits could be improved PTO could be improved Quiet week should be paid Quiet week should be at the end of the year

8. 5.0

Nice

Jun 28, 2022 - Customer Service in Miami, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing , comfortable , easy , smart . helpful

Cons

Tired, fast , a lot of people , low hours

9. 5.0

I love working here!

May 18, 2022 - Administrative Assistant Advanced in Woodland Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best reason to work at Blue Shield are the incredible people I get to work with and interact with. They are an amazing group of individuals from all different cultures and backgrounds who have come together, as one voice to make this world a better place to work and play! Also, the benefits and resources within the company are amazing!

Cons

Not everyone participants in the opportunities available to them and that is sad.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place for consistency and to grow if you want

May 19, 2022 - Marketing Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, family flexibility, encouraged to take PTO, nice people, good values, employee appreciation and mental health is prioritized

Cons

Linear promotions are few and far between, pay raise does not parallel inflation, if you do not negotiate your salary enough coming into the company you will be in a perpetual wage deficit compared to other people at your level

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,549 Reviews

Blue Shield Of California Reviews FAQs

Blue Shield Of California has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 1,705 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Blue Shield Of California to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Blue Shield Of California employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Blue Shield Of California. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

85% of Blue Shield Of California employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Blue Shield Of California 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Blue Shield Of California to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Blue Shield Of California Job Seekers