Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Company values work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• probationary period we can work from home 2 days out of the week (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance requires improvement (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management struggles with making solid decisions (in 24 reviews)

"Contingent Workers Demoralized-Unless Family"

Former Contractor - Provider Enrollment in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Contractor - Provider Enrollment in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fast family or "know someone" promotions, there are career promotions, but after friends/family, cafeteria is convenient.

Cons

Favortism, nepotism, demoralization, devalue, belittle, humiliate, blantant conspiracy, low morale of contingent workers due to the ignorance and down played intelligence of Senior Management with impotent integrity within a successful company that is settled on a strong foundation, only for indecent higher ups to condemn. Thank you.

Advice to Management

Listen, pay attention and don't be afraid to investigate. It will be worthwhile. You're not wasting your time believing what's said. It's said to not believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. Welp, you asked for feedback and you got it. If you ignore what is being told, then you're going to fall as well. Just because a couple of bricks are pulled from the structure doesn't mean it'll stand forever, eventually, it crumbles. What you put in, you get out.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, remote/telecommuting opportunity when it makes semse

Cons

Middle management tier (Manager to Senior Director) weak across the company. Promotions into those position appear to be based nearly solely on loyalty vs. competence

Micro-management is rampant, so many time wasters and box checkers for no meaningful ROI

Fear-based culture, employees are not empowered, not valued, not trusted

Advice to Management

Grow up.

"Terrible middle management"

Former Contractor - Cyber Security Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Contractor - Cyber Security Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great for full-time employees

Cons

Middle management doesn't know what they are doing

"Analyst"

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, telecommute

Cons

Unethical, back stabbing,lying,games,unappreciative staff and management

Advice to Management

Talk to all employees; especially, when one is bad mouthing another. The reason people do this is to get the other employee out so they can look like the hero!

"Brutal Politics and Nepotism by a few bad apples in Top Jobs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than a year)

Pros

NONE - there are a few good guys in the swamp who make it worthwhile for some fleeting moments

Cons

If for any reason you are any honest person looking to contribute anything - run away !!! There are a few bad apples in Top Positions who will make your life miserable.............

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites - and look at the actual work done ....

"A great place to work for people who peaked in high school"

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Fun party atmosphere. Endless lunches and after work events to celebrate employee weddings, new babies, birthdays, etc. Free flowing wine and shots of tequila. Someone must have paid because I never did. Flexible work schedules. If you're part of the “in" crowd, you don't need to show up until after10am. Your pet projects will be well-funded, even if they have nothing to do with the actual business. One example was a video created for the annual employee Open Enrollment kick-off meeting. Open Enrollment had not gone well the year before and the video was going to set the tone for doing a better job this year. It was a highly creative three-minute video that had been the pet project of several people in Internal Communications. The video was the meeting’s first agenda items, which was then followed by four presentations on topics relevant to Open Enrollment success, including enrollment targets, financials, call center preparedness, Internal Communications surveyed attendees after the meeting. One question asked people to rank the agenda items in terms of helpfulness in preparing the company for a successful f Open Enrollment. One was the most helpful and five the least. The video was ranked number one by a large percentage of respondents and the Internal Communications gleefully sent an email with the survey results, which was dominated by praise and kudos for the video and its creator. A second email went out a few hours later to all employees. This one had a link to the video and encouraged anyone who had not had the pleasure of seeing its debut at the Open Enrollment meeting (which had only been open to directors and above) to watch it several times to get into the "Open Enrollment spirit.".

Cons

Nepotism, favoritism., gossip, backstabbing cliques. You really cannot trust anyone, I am not exaggerating when I say there are certain people at Blue Shield who are very "popular." This popularity r has nothing to do with ability or leadership skills. Everyone sings their praises and jostles to be seen/associated with them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nepotism and high-school atmosphere.

"BSC Employer"

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Majority of people who work for BSC are great. Good benefits.

Cons

Terrible culture. No regard or appreciation for employees by senior leadership.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Feb 23, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. We're sorry that you did not enjoy our culture as our Senior Leadership are dedicated to making us a Great Place to Work. Kathy Mason Strategic Recruiting Program Manager ... More

"Thoroughly Disappointing. Look Elsewhere."

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Great location. Close walk from Embarcadero station.

Cons

Very bureaucratic and hierarchical. If you're a director or above your emails will be answered. Otherwise, forget it. Exceptionally high turnover. Many people leave unhappy because of poor managers and broken systems. This company wants to be young fresh and modern, but it fails miserably.

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotism! Recognize exceptional workers for their merit and contribution and stop giving opportunities to favorites.

"Blue Sh*t of CA"

Former Contractor - Intake Processor in Lodi, CA
    Former Contractor - Intake Processor in Lodi, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a few great people.

Cons

Highly politics if management likes you or if you know someone from the inside you will get hired. Oh and even though you passed training class they can let you go without any explanation. Even though your here everyday, high production, and no mistakes. It's all about favoritism period from management.

Advice to Management

Stop being a two faced it's all about morals and integrity. The yelp reviews speaks for itself.

"Disappointing in humanity…"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The actual people you meet and work with in training class are amazing…

Cons

I had a fiancé that passed away on deployment, More people that I feel should have had been a part of the email were, to announce this. knowing who received the email not one word or person talked to me the two weeks I went back to work. In which they ended my contract stating they had multiple talks with me, maybe it was the one IM asking how I was, or the one email asking if I needed the week off I requested knowing that the only reason I requested that week off was because he was coming home. Or maybe it was the two times an upper manager came up to me to give me a "high five" Also being told that I would be treated better once I was full time a "blue badge" so when working here be prepared to get treated like gum on their shoe unless you get a full time position. Also in training and through out the time there be prepared for guidelines to change so frequently that there is no use to even look at them. This company is ALL about the production which yes its important but the people within your company should be treated like they are important. They say they are all about family but after how I was treated and hearing different people get told they need a back up child care, miss an important event in your kids life, my advice is that if you are single and planning on staying that way this might be a company for you but if you would put a human being on top of your job go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Try to learn sensitivity, humanity, learn your employees so you do come across as an unprofessional, disrespectful person.