Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company values work-life balance (in 63 reviews)

• probationary period we can work from home 2 days out of the week (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance requires improvement (in 35 reviews)

• So many people getting let go HR needs to take a closer look into upper management to see where the problem lies (in 27 reviews)

"Not a place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are high but if they weren't there would be a mass exodus

Cons

Bureaucracy, leaders who don't know how to lead, competing priorities, budgets that aren't focused on the most meaningful work

Advice to Management

people are looking to you to set our direction and too many competing priorities get in the way

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

We’re sorry you feel that this has been a negative work experience. We encourage you to speak with your manager, or an HR representative, about this as soon as possible. Senior Manager

2. "Great company with a great culture"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management acknowledges talent and people seem to frequently change roles based on what they're good at

Clear path of advancement for non business employees (intake, processors, ect..)

A culture that puts every employees needs into consideration as long as they make them known to management.

The actual culture and message given to employees is to put the customer first and realize what you're doing helps people. I liked hearing that, even though I know not every decision made by the company is for that best interest, it's what they pushed everyone to believe and enforce in their day to day job.

Cons

Technology is outdated. When I was there they were still forcing 32 bit operating systems on newer machines.

Some of their project management is terrible and communication rifts happen between project teams and senior management.

Advice to Management

Follow the rules the better project managers lay out and don't try to cut corners. If there isn't a clear plan then you don't have a good project manager.

Upgrade everyone to 64 bit operating systems so they can fully utilize their PCs potentials in their job.

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

Thanks for sharing your experience as an employee and we’re glad you enjoyed your time with the company. Senior Manager

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Decline to State in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Decline to State in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, employees are truly engaged and committed to the mission. There are great managers, great teams, projects and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Frequent turnovers in senior leadership has resulted in a culture of frequent and repeated reorganizations and an atmosphere of instability in some areas. Employee benefits continue to erode with mandatory PTO use during periodic shutdowns, downsizing of employees with high PTO balances or pension vesting, and downgrading salaries are primary tools for cost reduction.

Advice to Management

Recognize value in experience. Treat employees as thought they actually matter.

4. "Enjoy the work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lodi, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Time off and good pay. Constant change.

Cons

Lots of turnover with upper management.

5. "Batch / NOC Operations, Infrastructure Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation given

Cons

Lots of "silos" within the IT infrastructure

"Good, but could be better!"

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, really good benefits, and trusting management comfortable with autonomous employees.

Cons

Lack of transparency, poor management communication, seeming lack of urgency to make needed improvements. Should mandate meetings be in-person as much as possible, remote meetings are the norm. Need to update pay for performance bonus structure to give managers more flexibility to increase pay for high performers.

Advice to Management

Reduce bureaucracy, improve transparency. Stop treating information as turf and share for success!

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. We’re glad that you’re enjoying the autonomous environment that your management has provided you. Our leaders strive to establish open lines of communications, using such... More

"Medicare Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

It's a job that provides money in your pocket until you find a better job. Or at least get paid more if you have to deal with these issues.

Cons

I would not recommend anyone to work for this company. The environment is very toxic. Productivity is stressed to the point that people work off the clock. Favoritism and a sexist culture leads to a lot of bad behavior that ultimately gets you promoted. The culture has turned into a mess with people snitching to get people fired so they'll get promoted. If you have any voice at all, to keep your job you'll need to remain silent. Managers lack management skills creating a chaotic environment. Managers throw little people under the bus so they never get fired. A lot of favoritism and cliques! If your part of this circle, you will get promoted, cut slack if your late every day, if you are not productive, if you need your schedule changed, and you'll never get coached. So many people getting let go HR needs to take a closer look into upper management to see where the problem lies. If you fire people because of lack of training, errors, or productivity you have to look at yourself and ask what are you not providing to your team! Where is the disconnect? What am I doing wrong as a director/co-director. Your losing all of your great excellent workers! You should be promoting people who are knowledgeable, that want to see change, and who have opinions, critiques, and feedback. But this company does the opposite. I've never seen so many nice kind hearted people get let go of who took a stand for their team! Lastly, stop using your temp employees! Recognize they are actually your foundation right now. Stop giving them extra work more than permanent employees stringing them on for years for nothing. I know it's budget friendly to hire all temps but please treat them like they are a part of the company. Not only does this company have bad reviews from employees the members have ranked us horrible at 1 stars on a lot of sites.

Advice to Management

Stop having a blind eye either due to laziness or fear of retaliation if you speak up for us lower employees! Take care of us we are human beings. Focus on positives first then hit us with the negatives. If we are not performing there are reasons behind that just come ask and don't fire us because you don't like the truth. Don't do great place to work survey if your not actually willing to roll up your sleeves, do the dirty work and make a change for the better.

"Sr Manager Human Resource Business Partner"

Former Employee - Senior Manager Human Resource Business Partner in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of tools and models. Great people work there. The mission and vision is worth working hard for.

Cons

High turnover. Lack of cross collaboration.

Apr 19, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. We agree—our mission and vision are worth working hard for! Kathy Mason Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

"Constant layoffs"

Former Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros for working at Blue Shield
    There are no pros for working at Blue Shield

Cons

Frequent layoffs despite promises to contrary
    Frequent layoffs despite promises to contrary

Advice to Management

Stop promising you won't lay people off
    Stop promising you won't lay people off

"Great place to work (before the next turnover)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lodi, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lodi, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to gain experience.

Cons

There is a rumor that once you hit 10 years, they'll not think twice about letting you go and hire someone new for half the pay. I thought that was ridiculous. Well ...
    -former employee