Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor

Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company values work-life balance (in 65 reviews)

• probationary period we can work from home 2 days out of the week (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance and constant company-wide reorgs contributing to so much chaos (in 36 reviews)

• Absolutely NO work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

1. "Claims Coordinator"

Pros

Beautiful and spacious building, plenty of parking.
    Large break room with fridge, microwave, ice maker, coffee pot, Kerrigan and water dispenser, toaster and many tables inside and outside.

Cons

Overload of work and not enough coverage, everyone in billing department is behind. The company is growing in business but not giving enough support for increased workload. Employee burnout.

"Better than average"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pleasant, modern work environment that offers great benefits and above average competitive salaries. Many great, forward thinking people with some exemplary leaders.

Cons

Tends to be top heavy, and like most non-profits, riddled with some ineffective senior leaders who will do anything to hang on the their great paying job, regardless of how many hard working people they crush in the process. Thankfully that is the exception.

Advice to Management

IT leadership team is treating the other C-level execs like mushrooms - they keep you in the dark and feed you BS

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

Thanks for sharing your experience. Most recently we launched a two-week employee challenge to get ideas to help bust bureaucracy, and continue to make Blue Shield of California a great place to... More

3. "data analyst"

Pros

can wfh once or twice in a week

Cons

low salary in every position

"Senior Business analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to learn and grow. There is advancement opportunities. You can learn a lot in the health insurance world. Loved the people i work with and the projects I have worked on.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Salary jobs and you work more than 8 hours a day on a regular basis with no compensation. Benefits are pricy when you consider you work for a insurance company. New leadership and they don't care about their employees anymore. They got rid of the retirement package far anyone under 40 regardless of how long they had been with the company. No longer a company to have a long term career at.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your people for their strengths, hard work and dedication. Get in the trenches and do some of the work and see first hand the difficulties. Help the employees get their voices heard to the higher up executives.

Jul 10, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

"Unfortunately, this was a very hostile environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do reimburse some mileage they offer a free pedometers. They offer health insurance. I really can't think of anything else to say that is positive.

Cons

Folks yell and curse the most vulgar things to one another in the workplace. Your health, safety, and wellbeing are totally neglected. No one here is willing to take responsibility for their horrid actions. Cruelty is commonplace.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to begin? The above described behavior is accepted by management. Professionalism must be taught and learned.

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

We value the health, safety and wellbeing of all our employees, and encourage any employee who feels that those needs are being met to reach out to an HR representative with their concerns.

Senior... More

6. "Business Analyst"

Pros

Great environment. Lots of room to grow. Some flexibility offered as well.There will be some challenging times but overtime you get the hang of the environment and the tools

Cons

None that I can think of really. Commuting can be problem if you have to be there everyday but other than that, can't think of any really.

Advice to Management

mangement needs to recognize everyone's hard work and involve more in the team activities and be more appreciate.

7. "Good place to work"

Pros

Flexible schedule. Nice people. Worthy company mission

Cons

Can face bureaucracy at times because it's a large company.

"Roll the Dice..."

Current Employee - IT Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are average (except for the pension, which they no longer offer to new employees). The company mission, vision, and values that the top leadership sends out sound great and are followed by many employees in the company.

Cons

You will be rolling the dice when considering this employer. You might get lucky or you might spend a few years in a very toxic environment. Recommend you find an employer that has a higher bar for their middle management.

While most of the top leadership seem to be aligned in pointing the company in a good direction, the gulf between the VPs and the Directors/Managers allows the latter to effectively run the company. This results in some groups having great experiences and others having very toxic and detrimental experiences. Blue Shield Values are not practiced by many Directors/Managers, and since the HR department is the weakest I have ever seen, no one is held accountable for their negative actions, forcing good talent to find a better company.

Advice to Management

VPs - Hold skip level meetings with your managers... and REALLY listen. Hold skip level meetings with your troops and REALLY listen so you can get a clear picture of what your middle management is doing and then clean house at hose ranks to remove 'leaders' that don't reflect the stated BSC values.

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Mananager - Talent & Performance

We’re sorry you feel that this has been a negative work experience. We encourage you to speak with your manager, or an HR representative, about this as soon as possible.

Senior Manager

"Hide Your Wife, Hide Your Kids Cause they're foolin' everyone 'round here"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

There's a five word minimum--now that we've got that taken care of, let's move on to the good stuff.

Cons

BSC hired me in 2012 and laid me off in 2016. **cries in layoff** ---- They advised me my "department" was being outsourced, so after I was laid off in March, I started receiving calls in April from temp agencies advising me there is this great opening for BSC. Doing what exactly? Well....the same job that was being "outsourced". Weird right? Now, I KNOW BSC, being as big of a company as they are--would lie to their employees? Riiiight? Wrong. BSC treats their employees very badly. If anyone is below them, they're basically peasants. If you don't know anyone in upper management, you can't move up in the company. You have to know someone to move up. How sad is that? It felt a lot like High School and not like a professional company at ALL. W/in my 4--almost 5 years (one month short) of working there, I received 1 raise. Yes, ONE. The reason? Well, I didn't perform my best work. Even though I received so many "Outstanding CS" awards and was never talked to about my performance. I had no attendance issues nor did I ever make a scene, but they seen me as nothing, so that's the way I was treated. I started out at $15.00 an hour and when I left, I was making $16.00. It's pathetic. Do not let BSC fool you. They will try to screw you over every chance they get. Ohhh-almost forgot. Since BSC is being sued, we're owed compensation. I received paperwork stating that I will get $XX.XX amount of money per every week I worked for BSC. They also stated I started in 2014 and left in 2016. WRONG again. I started in 2012 and was laid off in 2016. I called them to tell them that and they said, "Well, if you really worked those years you claim, you need to send in every piece of paper you have proving that. Otherwise, you'll get the amount your email stated." Luckily for me, I have all the proof I need. Needless to say, BSC will hire you in a crisis but then make you part of their 5year (or so) layoff.

Advice to Management

Walk in the shoes of a Customer Service Rep for a day and see if you rethink you're whole style of managing. I bet you won't last a day on those phones.

"Not a place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are high but if they weren't there would be a mass exodus

Cons

Bureaucracy, leaders who don't know how to lead, competing priorities, budgets that aren't focused on the most meaningful work

Advice to Management

people are looking to you to set our direction and too many competing priorities get in the way

Senior Manager