Cover image for Blue Shield Of California

What people are saying about Blue Shield Of California

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The offer many great benefits and they have been so accommodating while working from during this time.(in 194 reviews)
  • "the people i work with are great!(in 140 reviews)
  • "good work/life balance (at least in my department)(in 109 reviews)
  • "Good Pay is alright to be honest(in 92 reviews)
  • "Remote work from home convenience and productivity higher(in 43 reviews)
Cons
  • "The biggest challenge for me was poor management.(in 64 reviews)
  • "Some managers don't engage their team at all for months and are shocked that the team isn't aware of changes in projects or policies.(in 59 reviews)
  • "Frequent turnovers in senior leadership has resulted in a culture of frequent and repeated reorganizations and an atmosphere of instability in some areas.(in 48 reviews)
  • "Current upper management does not think it is appropriate to promote people who know the process and have some leadership skills and could be mentored.(in 31 reviews)
  • "based culture(in 29 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Shield Of California and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years
    Featured Review

Mission Driven and Employee Focused Employer

May 19, 2022 - Finance Director in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Blue Shield of California is a non-profit organization that is committed to its mission to create a healthcare system that is worthy of our family and friends. It is refreshing to work for a company that has such a north star, and to work aside incredibly smart, talented, and genuine people, all committed towards the same purpose. On top of this, the company is extremely is also focused on the care and welfare of its employees. While healthcare is incredibly complex and challenging, it's these reasons why I stay and why I can't imagine working for any other company.

Cons

It's not easy to change an industry - at times this can be challenging as we are after change non-stop. If you're looking for a static or slow paced job, this is not for you.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Thank you for your review and for your hardworking efforts for 8+ as a Finance Director at Blue Shield. Our mission does not stop at our members; it extends to all Californians and beyond. We're proud to create a great place to work and will always choose to invest in our people, like you to help fulfill our ambitious mission and goals. While this industry can be challenging, we continue to transform and are committed to create change in healthcare.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Technical Communicator, Experienced

Nov 30, 2022 - Senior Technical Writer/Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team of technical communicators, work well together, and very supportive of each other. BSC as a whole is a great company to work for.

Cons

Less focus on social giving more time for work.

3. Join the Blue Shield Of California team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Gotta be Agile; proud to say I work here

Nov 10, 2022 - Senior Operations Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Diverse and inclusive with environment, transparent leaders, collaborative coworkers, an organization with an intense care management program. Constantly looking to improve. The organization has a true concern to at risk population.

Cons

As you continue to move up the ladder, the percentage of compensation send to get smaller, although the experience has increased. Sometimes, I want to say, can you give me a new hire's salary instead? When you get a new position, they want to look at your previous salary range and decide how much more they can provide and typically it's on the lower end. I am thankful for candid conversation with my manager that advocated for me not to be low balled.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Thank you for your review and feedback as a Senior Operations Specialist. We're incredibly grateful for everything you do every day to serve our members. For compensation, we are committed to equality and advancing the personal and professional growth of everyone at Blue Shield. We are also proud to have achieved and maintained a zero pay-ratio gap by both gender and ethnicity for several years in a row from Parity.org

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Making a Positive Difference

Sep 22, 2022 - Quality Assurance Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for career growth Family atmosphere Adaptability for change Community Service and Engagement activities Having a great feeling when you can see and hear how what you do has a positive impact on others.

Cons

Resources not being as clear or accessible as needed for the Agents Having Agents feel overwhelmed due to being required to know too many lines of businesses that are very different from one another. Seeing Agents get away with not being held accountable for their constant negative behaviors

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Working at Blue Shield

Sep 22, 2022 - Supervisor in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked with the company for many years and have had a great experience. I have seen so much growth in technology to keep the company moving forward. There is always something new to learn and so many career options. I have worked in clerical, processed claims, answered phones, trained, audited and am now a supervisor. The company offers a great work/life balance and has great benefits which is so appreciated. I feel like this is such a great company to be a part of and it feels like my second family.

Cons

I don't really see any cons to working here.

Blue Shield Of California Response

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are grateful for your hard working contributions with 20+ years at Blue Shield. Your tenure is amazing and we continue to be driven by our mission and values and to be a great place to do meaningful work.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Utilization Management Nurse

Dec 1, 2022 - Utilization Management Nurse in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits 401K Match Remote Work Bonuses

Cons

2 layoffs in 2 years Not much room for growth Hard to get raises Upper Management is deaf to employee concerns about work practices Under staffed Over worked

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unhealthy Environment

Sep 2, 2022 - People and Engagement Partner in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a mission and some of the teams are committed to reaching it. If you are lucky and get with the right leader/team you might enjoy the company.

Cons

It is an incredibly disorganized, disjointed work culture. Lots of words, lots of processes, minimal results. New hires are left to fend for themselves. No structured onboarding, no formalized training to help introduce you to this industry (if you are new to it) and people can be unkind…I’ll blame the incredible amount of work pressure most people are under. It is a revolving door of talent. Significant exec changes annually and diversity, at the professional levels, is not reflected from my perspective. Also, work life balance are just words because, as stated in some of the other comments, working 60+ hours a week is common. You will come to cringe at the word “transformation”. It’s the excuse used to drive you harder and allow bad behavior by senior leaders.

3 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. As we think about the future and the meaningful work you do every day to help pursue our mission and serve our members, there is, without a doubt, a lot of change happening. We are realigning the reporting structure of our People and Engagement leadership team to best meet the organization's needs for the road ahead, including evaluating the right tools, technology, and support. We're incredibly grateful for the organization's continued growth and the best-in-class teams to accomplish our goal of creating a healthcare system that is worthy of our family and friends and is sustainably affordable. We encourage you to prioritize self-care and model that for the rest of your team, utilizing our benefits, like the Wellvolution platform and mental health resources, to de-stress and balance work and life. If you are open to discussing feedback further, I encourage you to reach out to me, Julie Rodriguez, at Julie.Rodriguez2@blueshieldca.com - Thank you.

9. 5.0

Great opportunity

Oct 11, 2022 - Human Resources Business Partner
    Business Outlook

Pros

Blue Shield of California's mission is what drew me to the company. I stay because of my manager and team. The talent development opportunities is great. There are self-paced leaning through LinkedIn Learning as well as business unit and role specific training. The company also has several programs for leaders development. They also launched a company wide mentorship program. Finally, they cover the cost of getting a degree at 100%. Currently working a hybrid model.

Cons

California for Californians is admirable. However, consider expanding locations where employee can be based.

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Was good, now going downhill

Nov 1, 2022 - Registered Nurse in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

TIP/bonus depending how well the company meets goals, merit increase depending on evals

Cons

Inexperienced managers that delegate everything because they don’t want to do the hard work, managers that don’t hold incompetent people accountable and will give the hardest working employees more work and hyper-criticize them, company does not keep you in the loop for what business decisions mean in the long run and just use vague/cliche phrases to act like everything’s positive, great place to work scores are anonymous but if you make any comments it will be traced back to you and you’ll be retaliated against

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 3.0

Downturn in Employee Benefits

Sep 22, 2022 - Administrative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Blue Shield of CA tries to put the member first and help them with their healthcare needs. The very senior leadership have lofty goals which will take some stretching to achieve, but will be great if we can get there.

Cons

The latest trend with BSC management is to take away benefits from the employees and move towards micro-management. Poor communication between various departments. They are changing our PTO structure so we get less and accrue less.

3 people found this review helpful

Blue Shield Of California Response

Thank you for your review and feedback. In 2023, our current paid time off program will move to a two-category structure – Personal Time Off and Well-being Time Off – and both can be used for scheduled and unscheduled time away. If Personal Time Off is used for an unscheduled absence, time and attendance policy guidelines may apply. There is no change to the total hour’s employees have for taking time off, regardless of years of service. Please reach out to HR:Connect if you had any questions or concerns regarding your employee benefits.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,631 Reviews
</>Embed

Blue Shield Of California Reviews FAQs

Blue Shield Of California has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 1,797 reviews left anonymously by employees. 84% of employees would recommend working at Blue Shield Of California to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Blue Shield Of California employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Blue Shield Of California. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

84% of Blue Shield Of California employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Blue Shield Of California 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Blue Shield Of California to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Blue Shield Of California Job Seekers