Blue Shield Of California Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 1, 2020

4.3
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich
Pros
  • "Very flexible with employee's work life balance which makes the employees go beyond their job duties in times of emergencies(in 143 reviews)

• "customer phone support work from home(in 59 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Shield Of California and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work, and it's only getting better!"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analysis in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great for me! There is a substantial discount on my health plan, as well as awesome benefits such as free undergrad and graduate degree programs from Ashford University, a paid sabbatical every 5 years and more! Management puts a lot of effort to make it a "great place to work" and I have been very happy for the last 4 years with their efforts!

Cons

Like any place, there are pockets/silos with some teams and departments. Upper management has been working to re-organize and that seems to have helped. There also are some pockets of politics, but again that is with any where you go. Overall, the good outweighs the bad. I feel my direct manager is genuinely interested in my growth and really fights for his team, and that is worth its weight in gold for me.

July 9, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. We're glad to hear you're enjoying it at Blue Shield of California and have a superb manager who is encouraging growth & development within your team!

"Lack of upward mobility for minorities"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours and location

Cons

No opportunity for growth, promotion, or development for minority employees. Leadership and upper management lack diversity

September 8, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. Blue Shield of California is committed to help others grow personally, professionally and financially. We highly encourage employees to take on new learning & development opportunities. Please reference our shield central "learning and development" page. We encourage you to speak to your manager and Talent Acquisition team for new opportunities.

3. COVID-19

"BSC continues to send work/jobs to India and other off shore vendors"

Current Employee - Enrollment Processor

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We get to help Californians receive healthcare.

Cons

BSC is not kind to many of its employees. Upper management states they want to be recognized as a Great Place to Work yet they continue to send work off-shore during the COVID crisis. I'll never forget how we were micromanaged and distrusted with our time when we started working from home due to the shelter in policy. The additional anxiety this created during this time of crisis was unjustified. We have been dedicated employees for years, yet treated like excess collateral.

April 25, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. Your comments are shocking and do not represent the experience that the vast majority of our employees have. We take your comments very seriously, especially in the middle of this pandemic - please contact us immediately to discuss your concerns. Thank you, Margaret.Murn@blueshieldca.com

"Not the best and not the worst"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, decent benefits and great people to work with

Cons

There have been layoffs every year for the past 6 years usually between Jan - Mar. During Jan to Mar, everyone is on edge wondering if we'll be the ones to get the ax this time around. There have been several instances where entire teams have been let go only to find out they were needed and having to reallocate employees to take over the work. BSC also decided a couple years ago to do away with our pension plan. They did increase the 401k contributions, but this doesn't make up for the pension a lot of us were counting on for retirement. The pay is decent, but competitors pay much more for the amount of work that is expected of us. Some of us do the job of 4-5 people, but we are not compensated for taking on additional duties. Favoritism is also a huge problem starting from the upper management level such as Director. They will try to say that they do not play favorites, but it's pretty apparent.

5. "Not bad overall"

Former Employee - Cost of Healthcare Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous PTOs. Flexible hours, flexible work from home policy. There are some good structures there for new employees, and different employee networks you can join.

Cons

There's decent amount of bureaucracy. Some decisions made by upper management are just not innovative. For folks doing analytics work, data integrity and data availability seems like a unresolvable issue.

Continue reading
  6. "A company devoted to generating change not only within health care, but within the happiness of its employees"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

Work life balance, pay, coworkers

Cons

Coworkers, less engagement with upper management

"Could be great"

Current Employee - Senior Billing Specialist in El Dorado Hills, CA

Pros

Decent pay. Decent benefits. Team building.

Cons

Tons of upper management turnover. The directors and managers who have stayed lead by fear. No job security. Any time you ask a question about direction of company you get targeted. Not a healthy environment. The janitorial services are abhorrent, the bathrooms and break rooms are disgusting and often not even stocked with the bare minimum (t.p). Desks, monitors, chairs are all outdated and broken.

September 18, 2019Talent Acquisition Analyst Intern

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are always open to employee feedback and work hard to address concerns. It sounds like you have some examples of 'cons' that didn't go as hoped, along with some management and outsourcing issues. Please feel free to reach out so we can learn from your feedback - Marie.Romero@blueshieldca.com

"Family friendly, bureaucratic but getting better"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedule including opportunity to work from home, good managers, great people/teams, inclusive of different cultures including LGBTQX, focus on helping women lead, nonprofit helps focus on customer needs. People truly want to do the right thing by members.

Cons

Can be hard to get things done. Bureaucracy, particularly in IT and purchasing makes me want to tear my hair out. Upper management not connected with workers very well. Mistakes not tolerated well. HR consulting difficult to obtain.

August 29, 2019TA Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are always open to employee feedback and work hard to address concerns. It sounds like you have some examples of 'cons' that didn't go as hoped. If you are comfortable, I would welcome a conversation with you. Please feel free to reach out so we can learn from your feedback. You can contact me at marie.romero@blueshieldca.com

"Fix Operational Issues"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

80 years flexible hours vacation time

Cons

Upper Management changes every two years Need to live the mission not just talk about it

"Recruiter -employee"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great company, flexibility, good pay and benefits. Great people. Great group of people to with with. Company had a great mission. Great career opportunities available. .

Cons

Bad hiring in TA department at upper management level seems to be an issue. One of the TA leaders in Talent department has trouble building relations, and managing personal and highlighted his favorites. One of his favorites was inappropriate relation. He dismissed serval good staff members to keep a member he admired who had trouble with the role.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 English Reviews