Blue Shield Of California Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Oct 19, 2020

4.3
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich
Pros
  • "Very flexible with employee's work life balance which makes the employees go beyond their job duties in times of emergencies(in 143 reviews)

• "customer phone support work from home(in 59 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blue Shield Of California and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "nice"

Former Employee - Phone Support Representative

I worked at Blue Shield Of California part-time for less than a year

Pros

customer phone support work from home

Cons

really not applicable to me

2. COVID-19

"Great place to work!"

Current Contractor - IT Platform Engineer in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California for less than a year

Pros

-Everyone is very friendly and helpful -I have learned more here than I have learned in college -Remote work from home, so we can work through COVID

Cons

-Office has been closed due to COVID-19

3. COVID-19

"Great place to work, wonderful colleagues to learn from, and opportunity for growth"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

- Ability to work from home (regardless of pandemic) - Opportunity for analysts to grow outside of just a senior analyst position (e.g., Consultant, Principal, etc.) - Great learning opportunities through training/courses and experienced colleagues from diverse backgrounds

Cons

- Compensation can vary greatly in the same position (try to push for more, don't undersell yourself...if you are putting in the same effort as someone else in the same role, you should be getting paid similarly) - Need for structure and strict intake procedures

Blue Shield Of California Response

October 23, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your review. We're glad to hear you're enjoying your time here at Blue Shield, along with your wonderful colleagues.

4. COVID-19

"Overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, I feel like our leadership values their employees, the culture and values are progressive, took COVID-19 shelter in place seriously and made a great effort to shift all employees to work from home within a matter of a week

Cons

Transparency but this is individual to the departments and programs

"Sharing is Caring"

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros for working at Blue Shield; Good benefits, great work/life balance as most positions are 50/50 to work from home/office, great communications between upper management and employees, and All employees get treated equally.

Cons

Cons is Blue Shield uses the same titles for different positions and it can be very difficult to determine what area a person works in. It's probably one of the most difficult things about working at Blue Shield.

Blue Shield Of California Response

July 9, 2020Employer Brand Team

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We strive to have open communication amongst our employees, especially during unpredictable times. We understand your frustration and will relay your message to our Talent Acquisition team.

6. COVID-19

"Blue Shield is Winning"

Current Employee - Associate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work from home options and that was even prior to the outbreak of COVID19. Management is friendly and open about changes, lots of transparency.

Cons

Be prepared to listen to everyone you meet tell you that health insurance is the worst and that Obama care (ACA) is horrible once they find out where you work.

"Blue Shield Of California"

Current Employee - Billing Representative in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. offers a flexible schedule, some teams are able to work from home or choose which office location they can work out of. 2. There are a lot of voluntary benefits offered. 3. The company is involved with the community and giving back. 4. They offer multiple management training programs, 1 program geared towards people with 4 year degrees and a newer program designed to develop internal people for leadership roles without a degree requirement. The HR teams does comparisons to the other companies in the business every year or 2 to evaluate pay compared to other companies for similar jobs.

Cons

not all teams are allowed to work from home yet

8. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Planner in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic work culture, engaging work, flexibility to work from home during pandemic

Cons

There's a lot to learn. Something take a long time to accomplish.

Continue reading
  9. "It seems like it was just yesterday..."

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Lodi, CA

Pros

Blue Shield's Mission to provide affordable health care, work from home opportunities, salary and benefits

Cons

Training for new positions for existing employees has changed since my earlier days. For employees to be held at such high production and quality standards, the employees should be trained by a certified trainer and not provided training via a team member when time allows.

Continue reading
  10. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analysis Consultant/Lead in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. The goals and objectives are defined at the beginning of the year and the managers also provide a detailed list of things based on which you would be evaluated. This helped me to understand the expectation and work on the deliverables. 2. There is flexibility to work from home at least 2 to 3 days in a week. This helps to save 1-2 hrs. on the commute in BART and you could use it for something useful like exercising or morning run. This is a key way of Blue Shield promoting work life balance for the employees and it works really well! 3. There are tons of initiates to focus on the physical and mental activities for employees to perform better at work and home with a dedicated team “Wellvolution”. The team is responsible for scheduling group and individual classes like yoga, meditation, cardio every week. Also, employees can sign up for specific runs and marathons and the cost would be covered by Blue Shield. 4. Employees have access to libraries if employees wish to upskill or would like to explore other areas of interest. Also, employees can enroll in Bachelors and Masters degree with some of the associated universities and Blue Shield sponsors some of the programs. 5. Blue Shield is not for profit and always believes in giving back to the community. When it does, it makes you feel that you are part of it and your work is meaningful and provides fulfillment and motivates for going back every day!

Cons

I do not see any major cons that needs to be highlighted.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 59 English Reviews