BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David S. Pankau

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management did not seem to understand the importance of employees or our duties (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, 5% max increase when moving positions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Comment"

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They offer a good benefits package.

Cons

Low pay for work required in insurance. Political environment. No growth or advancement unless you seem to know someone.

Advice to Management

Treat your good employees as if they are appreciated. Actions speak louder than words.

2. "BCBS"

Pros

Leave Bank; Wellness Programs; Benefits

Cons

Raises; Advancement Opportunity; Communication between staff and upper management

3. "claims processor"

Former Employee - Claims Processor I in Surfside Beach, Horry, SC
    Former Employee - Claims Processor I in Surfside Beach, Horry, SC

Pros

benefits and social events, a gym

Cons

always changing for the worst, lack of training

Advice to Management

be more supportive of your employees

5. "Parttime claims processor"

Former Employee - Processor in Simpsonville, SC
    Former Employee - Processor in Simpsonville, SC

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

was able to kind of work from home

Cons

It was the worst experience. They allowed others to take work... If I wanted to get paid I would have to be up and working by 5am or my work would be taken.
    They made in work in house more than I was suppose too.

Advice to Management

Make it fair. Not allowing people to get away with doing all of the "quick" work

6. "Management is Petty and Vindictive"

Former Contractor - Analyst Programmer in Columbia, SC
    Former Contractor - Analyst Programmer in Columbia, SC

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure job. Many people work there for their entire life.

Cons

Vindictive managers who fire employees and contractors at a whim. Many of the permanent employees do no work whatsoever and just joke around with the manager when he walks around for his daily five minutes. The manager and Project Leaders seem to spend an incredible amount of time surfing the web. This is a great place to work if you have no ambition. However even hardworking employees and contractors will get nowhere in this environment.

Advice to Management

No advise given. The managment style is so old school, repressive and ingrained it cannot and never will change. A lot of the people who work there do absolutely nothing....and get away with it.

7. "Glass Ceiling"

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great place to get your foot in the door

Cons

Worst employee insurance benefits, management doesn't want you to be successful, not what you know but who you know.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, appreciate your employees, come visit us from out of your glass tower, pay better give us better medical insurance and not charge us a boatload of money for it

"meh"

Pros

good pto program; friendly coworkers although they can be immature

Cons

everyone is on anxiety meds
    pay is too low for the stress of the job and having to go through the security clearance
    stop asking your employees for donations for the community so frequently. most of us need charity ourselves

Advice to Management

pay your employees a living wage- most of us are living paycheck to paycheck but have to keep good credit scores to keep our jobs. impossible!

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive and helpful team of immediate colleagues who are professional, hardworking strive to exceed expectations.

Cons

Professional growth opportunities are limited, medical and dental benefits are very expensive.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology, attract new talent and upgrade upgrade operational practices to better serve the needs of our members.

"Systems Analyst"

Pros

Majority of coworkers were nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

Manager was unethical and played favorites in the office.
    Work was not that good, I do not recommend working for the EDIG department.

"The Struggle is real for Customer Claims Advocate II"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate II in Surfside Beach, Horry, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate II in Surfside Beach, Horry, SC

Pros

You have pretty decent benefits including medical and a 401k with half contribution employer match up to 5%

Cons

The work is rather stressful. You are on the front lines of problems so if there's issues you are the one receiving the tongue lashing. Youre expected to be available for phones all day while also working claims and answering correspondence in between calls and completing tasks which came up during an inquiry on the phone. The pay is rather low for the workload. They recently got a new contract and instead of hiring people outside the company or from other departments they were taken from our department which requires a security clearance so it could take 4 to 5 months to replace. Because of this we are constantly behind on our correspondence and they ask us to work overtime on Saturday. After a stressful week, the last thing I want to do is step into this building. I am in the National Guard and I know that has prevented me from getting other positions in the company. I've interviewed for several positions and got turn down saying " I wasn't a good fit" But I've seen IMs between my previous manager and the manager of the other departments discussing my service. Being that the majority of the employees in the Surfside location are dependent on military contracts you'd think they would be more understanding of my service obligation. Most of the people who work on the phones are always negative and complain all day which makes for a depressing environment. Most of the people are old fat and ugly or with the young ones 99.9% of them have multiple kids and more drama than any sane person wants to deal with. In some ways its like a place of misfits. Hardly anyone here aspires for more.

They periodically do claims check and retroactively deny claims from as far back as five years ago for reasons out of the beneficiary's control.It's frustrating trying to explain it to them why a claim was denied from so long ago and why they are now being billed. Of course there are no phone lines for the department who are denying these claims so it's pretty much out of sight out of mind for them.

My current manager is great but some of them are real jerks, IMing you when stay unavailable for calls a second too long. The internet on our work computers are ridiculously restricted. At least once a day, I have to use my personal phone to look something up for a beneficiary because it is impossible to look up on our computers because everything is blocked. I currently have a side job which I work a few times a week just to get by. I actually make more per hour doing than I do at bcbs but without the benefits.

They promote like 20 charities a year and are always asking us to donate which we are the last people they should be asking to receive money from. There are several people I know who work here who are government aid and they expect us to give money to a charity almost every other week? I didn't receive my annual bonus this year because I was away for military training for 7 months and was low on my production the first few months I got back as I was trying to get reacclimated to the system which changed greatly while I was gone Unless things change or I receive a new position pretty soon I will not be staying. It is not worth the daily aggrevation for what we are paid

Advice to Management

The above paragraphs pretty much explains most of the problems. Hire more people and actually serve your employees and most importantly the customers and not the bottom line. Employees are leaving by the dozens per month and you should clearly see why. Low pay, stressful work which is steadily increasing and difficulty advancing. This is the definition of a dead end job for most people here