BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Anderson

1. "Service Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, onsite fitness center

Cons

Favoritism, a lot of calls

2. "IT developer II"

Current Employee - IT Developer II in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - IT Developer II in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex schedule, easy going environment, supportive management, friendly co-workers, great work-life balance

Cons

Low energy, no happy hours, very high average age of workers

Advice to Management

higher younger new talent

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots to Learn, PDLC is followed, good team work

Cons

Project timelines get interlinked with multiple projects hence management of projects becomes difficult due to conflicting timelines.

Advice to Management

May get more involved with the PM leadership

"Cut-Throat"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Buffalo, NY

Pros

They pay well. the modern office layout is really great. lots of natural lighting; the Herman Miller chairs are great for your posture/back and will prevent you from being fatigued by the end of the day; The cafeteria is amazing and the executive chef is does terrific work! My favorite was adult mac and cheese day. Incredible!

Cons

Cronyism; Outsiders not welcome; Top heavy management; Flawed human resource department has no checks/balances; Friends review friends; Trust NO ONE. Even your friends from prior to working there. Your managers will pass off your ideas as their own. If you did not come up through the union and into management and have been there for at least 10 years. you will be an outsider and people will try to make you lose your job. The union runs everything and although I am Pro-Union, this union is out of control. It subsists only so that people with High School diplomas can make $55k/yr for literally doing nothing but socializing all day; when you try to discipline them, the union backs them up and the arbiter does too; management has no power; and upper management is so disconnected from the rest of the operations not only will you never see them, but when you do, you will be looked upon as inferior.

Advice to Management

Need to separate HR from those in rest of company they protect; Talented, qualified people get fired because they don't have friends in the right places. The HR rep who oversees a business unit are people who are friends with the management team; reporting workplace abuse is near impossible and spells certain death for your career at BCBS-WNY; Upper management is VERY disconnected from the rest of the company; their so out of touch with the economics of the people that work for them that they don't have an understanding of the simple value of a dollar;

"Great people, great culture, new challenges every day"

Current Employee - Technology Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Associate in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Although expectations are challenging there is room to make direct positive improvements in the organization. As an employee you have the opportunity to make positive change.

Cutting edge development technologies intermix with challenging industry problems.

The company is very active in the community and provides opportunities outside of the office.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but the health care industry is changing rapidly and staying up to date on new legislation can be challenging although it provides opportunities.

Advice to Management

People are the greatest asset to any organization so make sure to foster talent and provide career advancement to key contributors.

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Excellent benefits like free parking downtown and fun corporate programs. My co-workers are amazing!

Cons

Change comes slowly. Need to be more nimble

8. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Buffalo, NY

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company to work for

Cons

Work location was not flexible

Advice to Management

Stronger leadership

"I worked at the Buffalo, NY BC/BS location and the job was fine, not enough money and too far to drive"

Former Employee - OCR/Repair in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - OCR/Repair in Buffalo, NY

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great; the trainers were wonderful.

Cons

Treated like a child when it came to emergency time off. I had a problem one week with a bridge in my mouth that broke and had to go to the dentist every day a for a week and every day had to get a note like a child being sick and going back to school.

Advice to Management

I understand that things get out of hand when employees take advantage, but not everyone is dishonest. I also had time off scheduled, bought and paid for before I started the job and was told I was going to be allowed to take the time when I told the manager about it BEFORE I was hired. Then after I started the job I was told I couldn't take the time because someone else had it scheduled and only one person could be off at a time.

10. "A healthy working atmosphere."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BlueCross BlueShield is all about growth - as a team and individually. From the new CEO's quarterly connection meetings with the entire company to the TIPPER rewards system based on good deeds alone, my company really values its employees. And we have a private parking ramp. And a cafeteria! AND, a gym! Also, the views out onto the water from the 7th or 8th floors are awesome, especially when the sun sets. I actually don't hate going to work.

Cons

Cafeteria food is about 3-4 stars and we really never close during bad weather but other than that, pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Revise the cafeteria menus! (And pay me more?) Other than that, keep doin' you.

11. "It was an opening to a transactional environment."

Former Employee - Six Sigma Intern in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Six Sigma Intern in Buffalo, NY

Pros

The urge to bring changes in the system by the upper management.

Cons

The resistance offered by people in lower sector.

Advice to Management

Too much of beating around the bush.