BluePearl Veterinary Partners "bluepearl" Reviews | Glassdoor

BluePearl Veterinary Partners Employee Reviews about "bluepearl"

Updated Oct 10, 2019

3.1
BluePearl Veterinary Partners Founder & CEO Darryl Shaw (no image)
Darryl Shaw
Pros
  • "The mission to create a 'better world for pets' is a mantra that everyone who works here seeks to achieve(in 9 reviews)

• "I work with people who really love to care for animals and truly want to help(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There was a significant cut in employer 401K match after Mars bought Bluepearl(in 13 reviews)

• "Long hours, minimal time off, but this is on par with any internship(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "bluepearl"

Return to all Reviews

"Experienced LVT Review"

Current Contractor - Veterinary Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners for more than 8 years

Pros

I have met some of the most kind and compassionate people while working at Blue Pearl. All of the staff are knowledgeable and eager to teach. There are high expectations for the care you are giving, and the patients are treated like family. The middle management seems to genuinely care for their employees.

Cons

BluePearl (Mars Corp.) pay very poorly for their high expectation of you. Upper management doesn't know who you are.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2019-10-10
  2. "Veterinary Technician"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Security of a corporate hospital and corporate standings. Increased job security. More resources for equipment. No concerns for lay offs or cutbacks. Large work force, if you care about your job you do have a huge team and endless learning opportunities.

Cons

Hours can change frequently. No incentives for longevity. No encouragement or reward for loyalty. You are a number. There is a loss of personal stake in your job. No personal approaches. By the books, numbers approach has caused a loss in quality health insurance. There was a significant cut in employer 401K match after Mars bought Bluepearl.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to long term employees. At least pretend like you care about loyal employees. Support senior employees. Look at the quality of health insurance offered. Evaluate employer match for 401K.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2019-10-02

"Corporate Corporate Corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you truly work hard, you get

Cons

The leadership team sucks. What does the HA even do? How about some support so people don’t keep quitting. How about instead of listening, actually take action. This company used to be great (EAC) everyone used to want to work here. Now everyone wants to avoid the place. Literally not one person I know who works there likes working there. There are ALWAYS requests for shifts to be filled. ALWAYS! No matter what... location you work at they are short staffed, simply because no one wants to work at Bluepearl anymore. It stresses people out so bad that they go home and it ruins their life. There is no work/life balance. And let’s not get started with the staff they do hire...they will hire just about anyone.

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say your going to do. Don’t just smile, listen, and say things are changing for the better because they obviously are not. Your loosing ALL your good employees. Don’t just care about your doctors, care about the other staff, the techs, front office, etc. Stop cutting hours!!!!

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2019-09-06

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The medicine here is great, and most of the doctors are open-minded to teaching support staff. Doctors are up-to-date with the latest medical knowledge.

Cons

Benefits are poor. You start the year with no PTO, then accrue a grueling 3.08 hours every pay period (80 hours). One month of work doesn’t even give you enough PTO to cover one shift. Sick time is included with PTO, so god forbid you get sick while you’re saving up for vacation. Pay is strange compared to the local market. Assistants are paid a little more than minimum wage in Seattle, yet some small general... practices in town offer $20 an hour to assistants starting pay. One of many reasons for high turnover - people leave BP for easier work at GPs for higher pay. On another note, new hire technicians are offered much higher pay than existing technicians who are experienced (not to mention no one is getting raises, see below). Speaking of pay, nobody has had a raise in a year. The hospital is unionizing which is great, but as a result BluePearl is keeping everyone’s salaries in a vice grip. It could be years before a union contract is solidified and gives union members a better salary, but Seattle continues to be extraordinary expensive to live in. Local management hardly plays a role. They occasionally send emails, but often sit in their office in the dark, if they’re even at work. Their schedules seem to fluctuate and it’s hard to know when they’re even supposed to be at work. There have been days where no management has been in the clinic for 3 straight days.

Advice to Management

Be present. Pay better. Offer better benefits. They’re simple ways to make life easier for people who work long hours saving lives.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2019-07-27

"Commitment to profits not patients"

Current Employee - Veterinarian in Seattle, WA

Pros

Veterinary staff are generally competent and work very hard to do their best. Patient care is very good despite managements lack of support of front-line workers. BluePearl pays their bills and does make payroll every two weeks. That's the best I can say about them

Cons

Pays staff poorly and resists giving raises. Staff in our hospital have not had any sort of raise for more than a year, and management has not made any commitment to raises in the future. Whats more raises in the past have never covered the increased cost of living in the area. Consequently in the high employment economy of the Seattle area we are loosing staff constantly. The constant turn over and need to retrain... people puts further strain on staff morale which is already poor. Without good staff I cannot practice good medicine. BluePearl bought our former practice 5 yeas ago. At that time we were forward looking, stressing constant improvement of our medicine and elevating our staff's skills as well. Our reputation in the community was excellent both among pet owners and referring veterinarians. This attracted employees to us. Since that time our reputation has declined and we have become a "Big Box" specialty center known more for it's high prices and spotty client care than for the quality of its medicine. One small example of many illustrating BluePearl's commitment to profits over practice: When MARS( the parent corporation of BlueePearl) purchased VCA we were told explicitly that we would not have to exclusively use VCA's laboratory services (ANTECH). We have a local lab that provides excellent lab services with far superior customer care, quicker turn around and cheaper prices. One year after the merger we were told we could no longer use the superior lab but had to use ANTECH. We had to start charging customers higher prices for poorer service so MARS could make more money.

Advice to Management

We cannot practice good medicine if we do not prioritize staff support and and development.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2019-05-12

"Enron was ran better than this place"

Former Employee - Vet Tech

I worked at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can get hired on with no experience. Discount on m&ms.

Cons

I have been in this industry for years and thought I wanted to be a career technician but the constant disrespect from corporate has killed this entire field for me. BluePearl buys quality clinics and instantly kills the individuality of that clinic. Corporate pushed out one of the best DVM, DAVECCC that we had after she spent years building our clinics and making them as successful as they were. BPVP offers a... laughable bonus when they acquire your hospital (around 175 bucks for techs) while the doctors got a $15,000 bonus for the inconvenience. The highlights: Terribly mismanaged at the corporate level, it has taken over 4 months for my on boarding to take place and it still isn't complete. It took them 3 months to give me access to clock in and out. I qualified for health insurance without being informed which lead corporate to waive my benefits so I currently am without healthcare. The incompetence happens at every level of corporate, they have been penalized and lost hospitals because the government has recognized them as monopolies in some areas. No room for growth, whatever position you're hired in for is the position you will will terminate your employment with. Your skills will get better from practice and good mentorship that you but have to find on your own within your hospital, don't expect any learning real learning opportunities to be provided by corporate. They do not promote people, they have outside hires for any management position. They have "vet tech levels" which dont really mean anything, its more of a skill and competency check list that determines how little they pay you. They pay little for the tech salary but will fly DVMs first class from out of state and put them in nice hotels to cover shifts for the weekend. Yet they overcharge the client and seem to only care about their bottom line which is money. And in my opinion: They are a monopoly, Mars (the parent company) owns Banfield. VCA and BluePearl for their clinics which includes emergency care and other specialties. For diagnostics they own Antech (I think Idexx as well now), Antech Imaging, Pet Rays. Basically from the exam to any diagnostic is kept in house, which means they are in complete control of clients finances, in which they rape the clients wallet. They charge 50 dollars for an ecollar. For reference a size 17 ecollar costs 25 dollars per square foot where marble flooring is only 18 dollars per square foot. Mars is a monopoly. My advice is to stay away or to hope your hospital never gets purchased by these incompetent fools.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs a complete shake up. Stop trying to make every hospital exactly the same, you buys hospitals because they are profitable or they are doing something correctly and you put all this unnecessary restrictions on them and completely change that hospital for the worse.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2019-04-16
  7. "Great culture and benefits"

Current Employee - P&O Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like working for a company that really cares about its associates and the pet industry. The benefits are great. You can even bring your pet to work.

Cons

I wish I lived closer to my work place at BluePearl Vet.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2018-08-30
  8. "Credentialed technician specialist"

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time

Pros

The medicine is advanced and well done. The job can be challenging (in a good way). The doctors treat the rest of the staff respectfully. The continuing education funding is great. Technicians are rewarded for pursuing advancement and specialization.

Cons

Management is recruited from within and is not trained for a management position. Parent company (Mars) provides outstanding pay and benefits, but these are not available for Bluepearl as a subsidiary.

Advice to Management

Provide training to managers so they can be more effective. Pay better and offer better benefits. Turnover is huge because it’s a high stress job. People leave because they can make similar or better pay with better hours and less stress in general practice.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2018-03-02

"Could be great but isn't due to management"

Current Employee - Registered Veterinary Technician

Pros

For the most part, staff is friendly. Benefits are decent, but salary is not competitive.

Cons

Very easy for techs to hit the compensation ceiling and management's only suggestion is for techs to become managers (taking us away from the high quality, technically challenging direct patient care that we not only love to provide, but is also greatly in deficit) . BluePearl's business model is already very top-heavy with ineffective management beginning on the corporate level (multiple layers of seemingly... made-up positions, yet no one seems to have the direct authority or assertiveness to be able to make any decisions that positively impact the employees or the clients/patients they serve). This trickles down to management on the local level, who basically just comply to whatever they're told in order to keep their jobs. This has been a problem since the inception of BluePearl (home office in Tampa is very out of touch to the needs of the hospitals it "leads") but has gotten even worse with Mars ownership. Mars was promised and now demands a very high (and unattainable) profit margin. This has resulted in overworked and under-compensated medical professionals that are required to advertise high-quality medicine but have severe limitations in being able to provide it. The saddest part is that BluePearl has made quality care unaffordable and therefore unattainable to most of the general public due to the constantly increasing and already sky-high cost of services. The economic euthanasia rate is astronomical!

Advice to Management

Listen to your non-management employees - they are constantly offering constructive solutions to help solve or alleviate many of the daily struggles but are largely ignored due to Mars/BluePearl's steadfast objective of financial gain at any cost.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2018-02-06

"Seattle Veterinary Specialists Downtown"

I have been working at BluePearl Veterinary Partners full-time

Pros

Great medicine, great learning environment, interesting cases, great doctors. Employees (hourly associates and doctors) are great to work with.

Cons

Lack of management integration; management often stays in their office behind closed doors, leaves early, and are randomly unavailable certain days of the week. Upper management and assistant management also lack communication with each other; employee requests or questions are lost between two fields of management. Accruing PTO is dismal; PTO required to fill cut hours even in times of family emergencies &... death in the family (no true bereavement pay). Employees accrue 6 hours of PTO monthly and start out at zero when they begin employment. Management also tends to play favorites; employees not working in the ICU tend to be micromanaged more. No bonuses available for hourly employees. Stingy in pay; holiday pay only available for employees who already work that day of the week, i.e. if Christmas was on a Friday, and an employee has Fridays off, they will not be paid holiday pay for Christmas. Employees are paid for 8 hours of holiday pay (if they are paid at all), although everyone works 10+ hour shifts. BluePearl is owned by Mars, a corporation with a net worth of $60 billion. Hourly associates earn a little over minimum wage in a city (Seattle) with an average rent of $1500/mo. and increasing. On-call shifts required to fill in the emergency room but to avoid paying employees overtime, the employee will be sent home a random day of the week to avoid overages in hours.

Advice to Management

Hard to say. Darryl Shaw, the CEO, visited our hospital when he found out employees were unionizing; all he had to offer were corporate sound bites such as "I understand how you feel" and "I know this is frustrating" but didn't offer solutions to our underpaid epidemic. He offered to make sure our computer software runs more smoothly and more "resources" will be available (his vague term), but nothing has changed... since Spring 2017 when he visited. Management could make better use of their time rather than micromanaging employees' time sheets.

BluePearl Veterinary Partners2017-12-17