Bluegreen Vacations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shawn Pearson

Pros
Cons
  • This is a big corporation and the upper management can be clueless on how your location works the best to sell packages (in 23 reviews)

• Long hours to not make enough, you have to bring everything to pool bar (in 10 reviews)

"Accounting Manager"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO, Salary, Benefits, Activities, Location

Cons

Management, Hours, HR, Computer systems

Jun 22, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for recognizing the wonderful benefits our company offers. If you wish to further discuss any concerns please contact me at ... More

"Fun, but Doesn't Fulfill Promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boyne Falls, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boyne Falls, MI

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time

Pros

- Fun Environment
    - Fun Product to Sell
    - Occasionally Leave Pretty Early
    - Quick Career Advancement. While I didn't want to go too far beyond the sales representative, I could see people quickly progress throughout the various positions.
    - Understanding, somewhat down to earth management team.

Cons

- While a fun environment, you're surrounded by people who have no filter. None. It made me feel sick to see how many husbands and wives would use the "flirt tactic" to help their sales process. Or the ridiculous amount of crude jokes in the break room. Fun for some, but dreadful for people with morality.

- Did not fulfill their promises at all. When I was recruited, I was told I'd be leaving daily by 2 or 3:00. After a week of training, I found out there were 3:30 groups. In the summer, I was told, most days I'd be leaving around 6 or 7:00. That's nearly a 12-hour day, daily. Forget it if you have other goals outside of the company.

- Absolutely no structure when it comes to your schedule. You know you'll be there at 8:00 in the morning, but have no idea when you're going to leave. If you want to plan the rest of your day, have fun! It's nearly impossible to have a regimented day-to-day schedule for yourself.

- The pay is nowhere near as much as you expect. Essentially, expect your income to be much less than what your management team tells you it'll be.

Advice to Management

I would encourage you to be a little more honest - not only in the recruitment process, but in the sales process as well. Maybe have it shift-based. Two shifts, I'd say. When you inform your representatives that they might have to be on premises until 6 or 7:00 at night during the summer (or later!), it can be a little daunting.

Don't just assume that everyone there is there to make money. So much emphasis is on the money and how much money you can make and the ridiculous amounts of money you can make and...oh, yeah, how much money you can make. While I understand that can be appealing to some, other folks are simply looking for stability. Be open to other types of personalities!

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - OPC in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Current Employee - OPC in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not really any at the moment

Cons

They didn't offer what they claimed they would when took job a little over month ago

Advice to Management

Train your people

"Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Happy co-workers/managers, rewards system is good and benefits are great if your full time.

Cons

Everything is good, just the usual customer service jobs issues.

Advice to Management

Doing amazing

May 22, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your contributions to Bluegreen, and thank you for taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. I am very pleased to read you have had a positive experience with us. As you ... More

5. "Beware!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brandon, FL

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly and indoor plumbing.

Cons

Managers treated employees like they were disposable. Managers routinely swore, used offensive and sexually inappropriate language, and demeaned employees. Employees were encouraged to lie or tell the customers ANYTHING in order to get their credit card info.

Advice to Management

I know any advice I give will only be ignored. I know the ONLY thing management cares about is scamming the customers into buying timeshares.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great; environment is upbeat and fun; opportunities abound with chances to meet people (potential owners) from all walks of life; fast pace environment; significant financial gains possible if variables are in line

Cons

(disclaimer: this may be specific to my location)
    - Dishonesty about earning potential, advancement opportunities, and job security. Carrot on a stick, for sure. If you're new to sales, it's a good entry point, but don't go to the interview hungry.
    -Management staff rarely on the same page and frequently gives conflicting advice, confusing people and distracting from processes that are supposedly in place.
    - Limited initial training for new employees, leaving guesswork to lead the charge.
    - Limited continuing training engagements that often repeat the same things achieving the same limited results. And then blame goes on subordinates when sales numbers are shrinking.
    -Advice from management that relies on negative ambiguity that demoralizes employees or guests and affects morale (i.e. "...those people would have bought if you had made them like you." or "You just need to learn how to hustle people more" or "I don't care if they're broke, we're still going to get them to sign a contract and convince them they NEED this."). Times share sales gets a bad reputation because of advice like that.

Advice to Management

-Be honest. Please. Commission Sales is a cycle of feast and famine. It's okay to be up front about that. Don't guarantee and give over optimistic projections and promises.
    -Create a culture of mutual trust. People won't try if they don't trust.
    -Invest time and effort into sales winners, or new employees with a resume in sales. Don't just hire warm bodies.
    -Figure out your processes and get them on paper and get management saying the same script.
    -Train and educate. Keep open dialogue with employees. Teach employees and allow yourself to be taught by other managers without being threatened.

May 16, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and honest story of your experience with Bluegreen, and thank you for your contributions while you were with us. I am pleased to see ... More

7. "Has potential but......"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits like if you are there already 90 days when January comes around then you have 4 weeks of PTO. Once you hit your 5 years you get an additional week. 7 paid Holidays, tuition reimbursement, health, dental and vision after 60 days and 401K. You can meet some nice people there.

Cons

PTO is use it or loose it then when you have it and want to use it is always a problem. If you happen to get your extra week after 5 years good luck on been allowed to use it. Some Managers can be very moody/fickle and take it out on their team. Also John Maloney was a great CEO but he hasn't been the CEO for years now.

Advice to Management

HR and AR should really keep an eye on "patterns" with some Managers through the years. If the same things keep on happening over and over (for example - good, tenured people leaving the same areas.) then there should be some changes.

May 16, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We appreciate your contributions to Bluegreen while you were with us. We are always working on improving and growing, and your ... More

8. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gordonsville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gordonsville, VA

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Family atmosphere. For the most part you work with very high professional co-workers who pitch in to tend to the guests.

Cons

The pay does not equal the work load, often find yourself doing 3-4 Positions at once for the original pay.

Advice to Management

If you are just starting in a management position and want to experience all the issues in one place. This will prepare you for any job out there and any issue.

May 16, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking a moment out of your time to provide your feedback. First, I want to thank you for your contributions to Bluegreen. Thank you for recognizing Bluegreen for the atmosphere ... More

"Good but going down hill"

Current Employee - Sales in Kodak, TN
    Current Employee - Sales in Kodak, TN

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get some resort use for a great deal and you get only work about 30 hours a week.

Cons

The resort use is getting harder to use because of blackout dates and more expensive. They are overstating the booths and its hard to make many sales now.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and improve. Not just what you want to hear, listen to the other things too. My first year I made almost 50k, I'll be lucky to hit 35k this year because there are so many sales reps on the floor.

May 16, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your honest feedback. I am sorry to read about your less than positive experience with us. I would also like to thank you for your contributions to ... More

10. "Bad Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good perks, some work from home opportunities, a lot of opportunity for advancement

Cons

Workload doesn't match compensation, Employee work is NOT appreciated. Management disregards what is signed on yearly appraisals/contracts.

Advice to Management

Some managers are good, others are on a power trip and are not willing to work with the team making absurd demands and extreme changes without warning. Management compares you to other employees and also to themselves. Unnecessary stress placed on the employees to meet numbers in departments where numbers should not be the priority. The work you do is not appreciated and they easily add unreasonable amounts of work to what you already do. The yearly contracts or appraisals that are signed are completely disregarded and they will demand you do things that were not listed under the duties section just 2-3 months after signing. Every year it seems to get worse even though the work you do for them is of quality.

May 16, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback. First, I'd like to thank you for your contributions to Bluegreen. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your concerns ... More