Bluemercury Reviews | Glassdoor

Bluemercury Reviews

Updated Jan 4, 2020

2.4
Bluemercury Co-Founders Marla & Barry Beck (no image)
Marla & Barry Beck
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is very shady, unprofessional(in 38 reviews)

• "I had 2 previous district managers both good experiences prior to the 3rd and unfortunately all the DMs have different management styles(in 16 reviews)

1. "Work Hard, Enjoy Success"

Current Employee - Beauty Expert

I have been working at Bluemercury full-time

Pros

Decent Pay and Rewards for Consistent Performance

Cons

Slightly below average pay rate

Bluemercury2019-11-14
  2. "Pretty easy/ laid back job."

I have been working at Bluemercury full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, team work, stress free

Cons

Schedule, pay and store management

Bluemercury2019-12-05
  3. "Negatives override the positives here"

Former Employee - Beauty Specialist

I worked at Bluemercury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training on the lines, good discount.

Cons

No holidays, hardly any paid time off, just lack of good employment benefits

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as you would like to be treated. We are there to help you, not to be in competition with you.

Bluemercury2020-01-05

"Terrible Company."

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bluemercury full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only benefits of this company are this gratis, co-workers that are like family, and great clients. And none of these are worth the struggle. The gratis is also only ok, and for every great co-worker you’ll have 5 shady, and the same goes for clients.

Cons

They will suck out your soul, and make you feel completely worthless and insane. The VP or whatever she is now, actually talks about the reviews, and says.. people who can’t handle it write bad reviews, not true, that woman is actually evil. You will have a skeleton staff, which will force you to do work at home and then they will tell you, it’s the same thing as stealing hours. While all this is going on, you are forced to purchase balloons and cookies with your own money, and it’s such a pain in the butt to get paid back, that you end up just forgetting about it because you are so busy working 14 hour days, every single day for a sale, after all your employees quit because they cut their hours and took their benefits. This company is horrible! They will brainwash you into thinking you should fire people because you are too tired to see straight. People are not machines. Also the company is still in the dark ages, and the small amount of technology they have constantly breaks. As a store manager you no credibility, and are basically just a high paid babysitter. You can’t even order supplies without asking your DM, yet you can purchase cookies. They also will yell at you if you can’t create a chalk board sign, because that’s how you make money in cosmetics. Macy’s really needs to open their eyes and get rid of all of upper management with the exception of one woman in that has been there forever and somehow still has a soul. Although she doesn’t stick up for her people, that really put their all into the company only to be stabbed in the back, if they stick up for themselves. And I left on my own. The location I was at can barely keep a store manager for a year, and has been through more managers than years the store has been open. You can only last in this company if you don’t know how to think for yourself, and are fine with spending all your time working... you do make hourly. And you can eat all the cookies you’ll have to purchase, and you’ll look great with your loads of free cosmetics. Just don’t get sick, you’ll end up in the hospital. I should have listened to everyone when they told me how bad this company was. I will never make up for the time I lost with my family and the memories, your health is not worth it!!! And it’s true, any good review on here is written by freelancers or the same people. They really do talk about these reviews in calls. I’ve been wanting to write this for so long. Don’t take this job, you’ll find something else. And if you do, get a few checks and some gratis.

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews. Get rid of the VP. Give maternity leave, and sick days. Step into the 21st century with technology. Let your store managers do their jobs. Give people hours and benefits. Stop making people buy cookies. Toss the chalk boards. Train your people! Get rid of that horrible bitter woman and her horrible bitter sidekicks. Let people have their vacation time. Close on Easter! Hire cleaning people or at send your stores cleaning supplies.

Bluemercury2019-12-07

"Believe all the negative reviews, this is the most toxic horrific work environment ever."

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bluemercury part-time for more than a year

Pros

The hourly wage and gratis if you actually get it!

Cons

You will have your gratis stolen, you will be required to do store manager work with no store manager pay. The District managers have no problems with deplorable "managers" with no integrity,because they have none either as long as the store is making proprietary brand goals so they can get a bonus. Inside theft is allowed and allowed to flourish.

Advice to Management

Now that Macy's owns the whole company they need to clean house and get rid of all the District and Regional managers and start fresh. Human Resources actually needs to function as Human Resources and do their job. No manager should be above the law when it comes to theft.

Bluemercury2019-12-03

"For the love of God, run away"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Bluemercury full-time for more than a year

Pros

Somehow, they seem to hire amazing mid-level employees. So your coworkers are lovely people who are really good at their jobs. Since I left the Cofounders also left, which were one of the main sources of the horrible working environment. The CEO would literally throw things across the room when she didn't like them and the COO was a total creep who said the most inappropriate things to female employees and would do things like pet their hair and touch their shoulders. Can you say sexual harassment? So it's a huge win that they won't be there.

Cons

- the benefits and pay are fine, not amazing. - this company is so cheap they won't even provide coffee. They act like it's a gift for you to even breathe the air in their office. - Culture - run away

Advice to Management

- Realize the potential in the employees you hire. - Clean your disgusting office up - no one likes working in a fort made of cardboard boxes and garbage. - Stop being so horrible

Bluemercury2019-11-19

"Sad"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bluemercury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers and a few of the vendors

Cons

Bullied for a year straight until I eventually quit. Found out my inventory was being adjusted by corporate to throw me under the bus

Bluemercury2019-11-16

"Luxury all in one place"

Current Employee - Beauty Specialist

I have been working at Bluemercury full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, good gratis

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow, needs better bonus structure

Bluemercury2019-10-11
  9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Esthetician in New York, NY

I worked at Bluemercury full-time

Pros

Supportive owners and was bought by Macy’s a lot of product knowledge info

Cons

Micromanaging monster from hell at the tribeca location

Bluemercury2019-10-12

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Make-Up Artist in Boston, MA

I worked at Bluemercury part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gratis , good people to work with

Cons

Upper management acts like their in high school

Advice to Management

The company is very petty and cut throat ; please do not apply

Bluemercury2019-10-12