Bluestem Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Nave

Pros
  • A casual work environment with great flexability that is family focused (in 13 reviews)

• No work life balance - treated employees very poorly (in 11 reviews)

1. "Fair Weather Folk"

Current Employee - Ecommerce in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Ecommerce in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ECommerce is pretty ahead of the curve, lots to learn for those wanting a taste of the Agile work environment, tools that smaller companies couldn't afford, larger implementations/architecture to learn in. The people in ECommerce are good people and are super smart. Being a medium-sized company, the Eden Prairie office is small enough to know lots of people. Building connections and networking are easier than at large companies. If you excel at your job, important people will see it - you don't need to rely solely on interviewing skills, resume composition, fitting a mold, or other BS to develop your career - you just need to do good work.

Cons

While 2016 wasn't ideal, I would hardly say our future outlook is poor. There have been significant layoffs, which are probably attributable to sometimes disjointed senior leadership, distraction from a large acquisition, and an all-around non-optimal year for retail in general. Pre-warning of layoffs opened the door for otherwise happy and talented employees to cover their bums and look for new opportunities. Intense loyalty to individuals and exits of comrades have also encouraged a trend of departures. Like all places, different departments and managers can make or break your experience. Trust your gut in an interview; interview your boss as much as they interview you.

Advice to Management

Marketing employees are thirsty for solid leadership and pay, make sure they get it! You owe it to Ecom to make sure they continue to be the envy of Bluestem - we kill it because we are proud - keep it that way and spread the fever! Also, make calls before we finish large projects!

"The ship is sinking faster"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good PTO and nice facility

Cons

CEO doesn't have any vision or neither understand the credit business model. He and his pals are destroying this business what Tom Petters built a successful business. It’s acquisition of Orchard Brands was a disaster decision for this dude like CEO. All this CEO wanted take this company to public and make some quick buck. It is a wishful thinking.

Advice to Management

Instead of laying off employees, the clueless CEO and the upper leadership is better off rescue themselves.

"Poor Upper Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are hard working and team oriented.

Cons

The management adds work load and reduces headcount at the same time. This makes for extreme stress and makes deadlines impossible to meet.

Advice to Management

Stop caring only for the company. Start caring about customers, employees and community. That is the only way you will succeed.

"Company having a tough year"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and flexibility of working hours are great. One of the benefits include free workout equipment and discounted classes on-site.

Cons

The cafeteria food is only sub-par, and food that should be hot usually isn't warm enough. The company doesn't seem to keep and promote talent from within but rather look outside the company.

"Seemed Like a Good Company For A While"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work life balance
    -Great PTO
    -Okay benefits
    -Okay pay
    -Casual dress
    -Summer Fridays
    -Fairly big on employee development

Cons

-Mismanaged
    -Company was too ambitious after a couple good years resulting in massive layoffs

Advice to Management

The company is failing, while Bluestem for a while was a really fun place to work with decent benefits and pay, the constant downsizing no longer makes it a worthwhile company. I was there for over 2 years and you had some really smart and talented people, unfortunately, you had too many false beliefs about continued growth potential. 5 years from now I bet the company will be half the size.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and the PTO.

Cons

No career path and uncertain future of the company.

"Don't Bother this is not the place you are looking for."

Current Employee - Peasant in Middleton, MA
    Current Employee - Peasant in Middleton, MA

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO some great people in the departments.

Cons

Employees that do not carry their own weight still get special treatment. The manager I report to has no clue about what the employees have to do. Since the day I was hired I was told the job was one thing and I am not doing that job. No chance for growth unless you are a man. To much misdirection and vague goals. We are not allowed to think for ourselves, just do what we are told. Major layoffs since we were acquired in 2015, while all along being told we are safe. We have lost a lot of good people from layoffs and those looking for something better. While others that drag down the moral are never dealt with after numerous complaints.

Advice to Management

Management bit off more than they can chew, were short sighted when look at the future. Fingerhut and the credit were going downhill and they tried using Orchard Brands as a life jacket. Now we are all sinking, some are jumping ship and others you are being pushing off. Wake up before the end is near you are bleeding everyone dry.

"Used to be good"

Former Employee - Ecommerce in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Ecommerce in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, half day Fridays, great co-workers, innovation, willingness to improve processes that aren't working

Cons

Lack of direction after acquiring another company a couple of years ago has lead to the decline of this company unfortunately.

Advice to Management

You've lost a lot of great people and bit off more than you could chew. Focus on how you're going to renew the company and communicate it to your employees.

"Leadership? What Leadership?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay until recent setbacks.

Cons

Where to begin?

The CEO tries to present himself as an approachable, folksy, aw-shucks kind of guy at all-employee meetings. At these meetings, it's a bit uncomfortable to watch as he seems to take great pleasure in mercilessly ribbing the other members of the executive team. If you run into him in the hallways, he's aloof and distant, with his head down while he's laser-focused on his ever-present phone. As a supposed leader, he is anything but. He takes input from a small quorum of other executives, who are equally isolated in their small-minded thinking.

This is a privately-held company where the equity owners' (read VP level and above) primary goal is to retain whatever they can for themselves. Thus, they defend their turf with gusto and limit communication and collaboration with lower levels.

Poor decision-making has led to poor results and massive attrition via both voluntary and forced lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves

"Zero work/life balance"

Former Employee - Analyst/Management in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst/Management in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Half-day Fridays. That's pretty much it. All other "perks" such as on site cafeteria, workout facilities, etc, can be found at hundreds of other employers.

Cons

No work/life balance, on-call 24/7/365. Corporate mentality of "tag you're it" means employees check their email before bed, first thing in the morning, and even on their phones if away from their desks.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your roots: Gettington.com, Paycheck Direct, etc are just desperate and futile attempts to gain market share while stepping on the successes of your core customer base.